Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

train from China to Vietnam

Old Mar 24, 10, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Hello!

I am currently in Nanjing and am thinking of heading to Vietnam at the end of April. As a backpacker on a tight budget I figure the train would be cheapest way to get there. Just wondering if anyone has done a long trip like this from China to Hanoi and what their experience was like? Many thanks!
Old Mar 25, 10, 5:45 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I have not done it yet, but I read that the train only goes to the border, then you walk across, and catch a Vietnamese train on the other side. I believe the bus is more frequent and goes through to Hanoi. Have you checked seat61.com?

(from Wiki)
Nanning has two major bus terminals:

* Langdong bus terminal is on Minzu Dadao to the east of the city centre amongst all the new skyscrapers.

* Jiangnan bus terminal is on Xingguang Dadao way south of the city center. Buses from the south, Pingxiang near the Vietnam border (arrivals roughly hourly, 2.5 hrs, 60), and Yangshuo (via Guilin) operate from Jiangnan. Getting there/away: Bus 41 (3, 20 minutes journey) connects Jiangnan to Chaoyang Road in the city centre. Catch them from the square in front of the terminal. Alternatively a taxi will take you for approx. 5-10.

* Yunde buses from Hanoi arriave at Langdong Bus Station.

* There are also direct buses to Nanning from Haiphong and Ha Long Bay.

Last edited by Daawgon; Mar 25, 10 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 29, 10, 5:36 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
Take the train to Nanning. Most people find the bus schedule works better for them than the train schedule for the Nanning-Hanoi route. Check out a budget/backpacker-oriented forum like Lonely Planet's Thorntree. This thread will give you a start.

Also, remember NO Vietnam visa at the border. If you don't already have, get it in Shanghai or Nanning, and expect no better than next-day service. As Vietnam visas are date-specific on entry, you need to get it right. Arrive at the border before the visa start date, and you'll wait to get in. Arrive long after the start date, and you've needlessly wasted precious time (not an issue unless your plans in Vietnam were bumping up against the 1 month limit).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: