Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

My first TPAC flt. Seeking advice on NW NRT/BKK/HKG/DPS vets

My first TPAC flt. Seeking advice on NW NRT/BKK/HKG/DPS vets

Old Jan 29, 10, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Hi hockeystl, saw your itinerary. You're going to be piling up them miles!

Just one caution: when you're on AirAsia, it's a low cost carrier and thus you need to note LCCs do things differently - heads up! Keep in mind that checking in baggage costs money. I'm trying to figure out how much - the table is not clear to me. But if you have status with NW/DL and you make full use of your allowance with them, you might just have to fork out a few more bucks (actually Thai baht) when you check in with all your bags. Check out this webpage from AirAsia for more:
http://www.airasia.com/site/th/en/pa...3cf0a5&nav=2-1

Also, a reminder of something you've already heard from jiejie: you might want to check in Flightstats to see the reliability of your Air Asia flight (actually, it's Thai Air Asia); it's irritating to get up early for a 6:15am flight to find it's been delayed.
Old Jan 29, 10, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408 View Post
Also, a reminder of something you've already heard from jiejie: you might want to check in Flightstats to see the reliability of your Air Asia flight (actually, it's Thai Air Asia); it's irritating to get up early for a 6:15am flight to find it's been delayed.
Thanks for the reply. I checked Flight Stats for my FD3677 info and there's no info. I then left the airline blank and recd a reply that Thai Airways BKK-DPS flight is at 93% (yes, I know they're seperate airlines but just wanted to take a look at what might be normal). The good news is I'm wide open on that day so if there's a delay at BKK it doesn't wreck the rest of my schedule. If FD cancels that flight then I can hopefully buy a O/W on MH. Also looks like there's no data on FlightStats for MH either?

And, yes, a ton of EQM on DL/NW for this journey. 18,041 EQM...but who's counting. I would've liked to have booked Thai Air on the inter air for the *Alliance credit but they were quite a bit more $. I can suffer without miles on BKK-DPS and DPS-HKG.

Last edited by hockeystl; Jan 29, 10 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 29, 10, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
I'm on my own and now researching rooms for the following nights in the following spots

Feb 19: BKK (late arrival after 25 hr flt from STL. All I want is clean and comfortable)

Feb 20: Pattaya

Feb 23: BKK (0615 flight on 24th to DPS so need to be close to airport)

Feb 24: DPS. Leaning towards Kuta as I do a little surfing and want to relax on the beach

Feb 27,28: HKG. Looking to to touristy activities in HKG so I want to be in the heart of the city, centralized for this type of activity.

Mar 4,5,6: Tokyo. Wide open for Japan...100% tourist/personal time. I'm open to suggestions.

SPG properties are preferred for BKK, HKG and NRT/Tokyo...I'm thinking Cash+Pts will be the way I go with most bookings, whenever possible.

A big thanks in advance for those who can share their expertise with me!
Old Jan 30, 10, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
About Tokyo, you might want to think about balancing space/cost versus time as far as hotels go. That is, do you go straight into and stay in Tokyo from NRT, or do you stay in a hotel in Narita town and travel back and forth?

My wife and I have on occasion stayed in Narita town and commuted back and forth into Tokyo. Specifically we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Narita; there's other choices. The advantage we had was that the rooms were bigger, and of course getting to NRT was stressfree, plus you're not trying schlep big luggage on tight Japanese transport. As a datapoint, we were economizing so we took the Keisei Line trains (cheaper but slower than JR East), time needed something over an hour to get to Ueno Station in Tokyo.

If you do this, it's an opportunity to check out another slice of Japan; Narita is slower and quainter, there's tourist stuff to do there that can be done in one day. Maybe the way to try out this idea is that you go straight into Tokyo when you arrive and stay at a hotel there. Then on March 6, move to a hotel in Narita, wander the town while it's still light on the afternoon of the 6th and perhaps the morning of the 7 before going to NRT and heading home.

BTW fair warning: the Holiday Inn is somewhere between NRT and the Narita town railroad stations (JR and Keisei stations are separate but close by), so you'd be dependent on the hotel shuttle. You might want to think about staying at a hotel within walking distance of the railroad station, useful since the Keisei goes straight into NRT from that station, and of course goes into Tokyo in the other direction.
Old Jan 30, 10, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport hotel and did not find commuting into Tokyo all that inconvenient.

In fact, the transportation system is quite efficient and would recommend this as an option.

There is a free shuttle from the hotel to the train station, but it is within walking distance if you have a little extra time.
Originally Posted by hockeystl View Post
though given my specific request for DL/Skyteam flight info I dont see how it was that far off topic....ah, i digress
It is not because your request was off-topic that this thread was moved, as the action was not at all meant to be punitive by any means.

Rather, I attempted to assist you in getting the responses to your questions regarding what you want and need from people who know — in this case, FlyerTalk members who are familiar with Asia.

I truly hope that the re-location of this thread helped you greatly.
Old Jan 31, 10, 7:16 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
Originally Posted by SirJman View Post
DPS-HKG should be much less than 540$ for a OW. Even during CNY. Try searching for a return and dont fly the return
Nope, every discounted fare is sold out for CNY. CX even worse. He's having to pay full fare Y and a return fare isn't going to be any cheaper, as his outbound date is the problem and is fixed on this itinerary. It's actually the worst possible weekend to have to travel from a holiday location like Bali, as all the Hong Kongers and mainland Chinese on holiday will be returning on the 27th and 28th to get back to work by that Monday.

I had same problem in DECEMBER trying to get to/from East Malaysia for CNY holiday in February. Almost everything except expen$$$$ive Y fares sold out from HKG, SIN, KUL, etc. Gave up and decided to head for Java/Sumatra/Borneo instead.
Old Feb 1, 10, 10:13 pm

Programs: CO GOLD
I'm on my own and now researching rooms for the following nights in the following spots

Feb 19: BKK (late arrival after 25 hr flt from STL. All I want is clean and comfortable)

Feb 20: Pattaya

Feb 23: BKK (0615 flight on 24th to DPS so need to be close to airport)

Feb 24: DPS. Leaning towards Kuta as I do a little surfing and want to relax on the beach

Feb 27,28: HKG. Looking to to touristy activities in HKG so I want to be in the heart of the city, centralized for this type of activity.

Mar 4,5,6: Tokyo. Wide open for Japan...100% tourist/personal time. I'm open to suggestions.

SPG properties are preferred for BKK, HKG and NRT/Tokyo...I'm thinking Cash+Pts will be the way I go with most bookings, whenever possible.

A big thanks in advance for those who can share their expertise with me!
As has been mentioned at least once so far, Pattaya is not a typical tourist destination unless you're chasing prostitutes. If you're looking for a Thai beach destination, Phuket would be a no-brainer for a first trip.
Old Feb 4, 10, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jefri68 View Post
As has been mentioned at least once so far, Pattaya is not a typical tourist destination unless you're chasing prostitutes. If you're looking for a Thai beach destination, Phuket would be a no-brainer for a first trip.
I'd love to make a side trip to Phuket but just dont have the time.... I'm working in Pattaya on the nights of Feb 21/22 so no choice there.

I ended up booking the Sheraton SGS for Feb 19 and 20 (50% off *Wood Asia plus 3x pt promo...score!). The 19th I dont arrive until late so that day is dead (i will have traveled 25 straight hrs by the time I land in BKK)...

on the 23rd, I'm looking at staying close to BKK since i have a 0615 flight on 24th to DPS. I found a thread here on FT listing a bunch of independent hotels but if anyone in this thread has input on a nice/clean/safe property (wifi preferred) near BKK, I'm all ears.

And...a bit of good news...I used one of my NW Plat PU503s to get the confirmed UG on HKG-NRT on the A330. This is the first trip I'll be able to experience the 330 so I'm quite excited about this.

Now to get the DTW-NRT, NRT-BKK and NRT-MSP UGs will be a bit more challenging.

Last edited by hockeystl; Feb 4, 10 at 2:44 pm
Old Feb 4, 10, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It's too bad the MH fare is so expensive. I just recently did CGK-SIN-HKG on SQ Biz using DL miles. 40k RT, plus about $100 in taxes/fuel surcharges.

I'd really check other Asian LCC's. Jetstar, Tiger Air, etc. Maybe check flying into Macau instead of HKG. I've flown Air Asia about 15 times, and have always been happy. I did spring for the $5 seat in front the last time, which was nice, as I had 3 whole seats to myself. Might not happen around CNY, though.
Old Feb 4, 10, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I'd really check other Asian LCC's. Jetstar, Tiger Air, etc. Maybe check flying into Macau instead of HKG. I've flown Air Asia about 15 times, and have always been happy. I did spring for the $5 seat in front the last time, which was nice, as I had 3 whole seats to myself. Might not happen around CNY, though.
Thanks for the suggestion but all flights are now booked...I'm not personally paying for any of them but i wanted to do as best as I could on pricing.

I also booked the extra $5 seat fee on the AirAsia BKK-DPS leg. The premium seats were almost all empty so I'm hoping for the same experience you had.
Old Mar 6, 10, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Well the trip is just about complete....it's my final night in Asia and where am I? Why, sitting at the work desk in my fabulous 35th room floor of the Conrad Hilton (burned off some HH points...still a decent deal even after factoring the devaluation...given the steep cash price for this property).

I've went pretty much nonstop the past 17 days and I'm physically exhausted. I hopped the Ueno line over to Tsukiji about an hour ago and enjoyed maybe the best sushi I've ever consumed. Then again, other then eating it at 6AM, it doesnt get much fresher.

I've been doing my best to keep an e-journal (aka trip report) during my interAsia flights and shinkansen rides and I hope to complete it on tomorrow's NRT-MSP leg.

If anyone is interested in reading the (very lengthy and very opinionated) trip report, feel free to shoot me a PM. I don't plan on posting it publicly but will be happy to share with those that took the time to share their input with me on this thread.

thanks again to everyone for your help...it helped make my Asia trip absolutely incredible!
Old Mar 6, 10, 10:53 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

If anyone is interested in reading the (very lengthy and very opinionated) trip report, feel free to shoot me a PM. I don't plan on posting it publicly but will be happy to share with those that took the time to share their input with me on this thread.

thanks again to everyone for your help...it helped make my Asia trip absolutely incredible!
Unless parts of it are too personal, I ask that you please consider posting your trip report in the Trip Reports forum, as the information and experiences you provide might very well be helpful to other FlyerTalk members who have similar questions to the one you had — some of whom may be too shy to post and ask.

Other FlyerTalk members may find your trip report entertaining, interesting and informative.

I am glad that your trip to Asia was a success for you!
Old Mar 7, 10, 8:50 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've done one or two long trip reports and posted them on FT. They're pretty much in the "personal travel journal" style, so everything is necessarily as seen through my eyes. I was a bit surprised by how many folks read it and offered support and feedback. Though you might think there's not an audience, I'd wager that there is, and that's a good reason to post it on FT. Plus, once it's on the internets, it won't get lost if your harddrive crashes.
Old Apr 13, 10, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

I finally finished the trip report (TR) last night on my LAS-STL flight....haha, I think I was the only one on the 7:10p WN (yuck, I know...but it was nonstop) departure out of LAS that wasn't brutally hungover.

Sorry, but it's not for public posting. There's some confidential names included and I don't want to get anyone in the travel industry in hot water for helping me out. And, given that acknowledgement...I will not be emailing it to anyone who did not post on this thread *prior* to this update.

Anyway, for those of you still subbed to this thread, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the TR.

Thanks again to all who offered their input...it was a big help!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: