Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for Buenos Aires visit?

Old Sep 12, 09, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold

Hi all,

I and my wife are going to Buenos Aires in January to take a cruise to Antarctica, and we will be in BA for 5 days. I would probably have spent less time in BA but those were the only dates on which we could get business upgrades both ways from DFW with miles and co-pay. We're also going to do a Platinum challenge so it's relevant to this forum.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we should do while in BA?
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:00 pm

Programs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKz7wjc7ys
OMG. BA is one of the world's great cities and a super stop-over city . Central BA is fantastic = kind of mini Paris. Great architecture. Take trip by boat to Montevideo Uruguay for a 1 day visit. cafees en mas, world's best steak restaurants, Recoleta ( famous Cemeterio de Recoleta) , Palermo, the Plaza and gardens near Grand Bourg and all the fabulous shopping for leather goods. 5 days is minimum for 1st visit. Have fun.
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum
Puerto Madero (trendy restaurants)
Palermo Hollywood (nice restaurants + bars)
El Obelisco
Galerias Pacifico (downtown mall)
Recoleta
Planetario @ Palermo
La Boca - Caminito
Cafe El Tortoni

I will probably be in Buenos Aires from late Dec to the 2nd of Jan to visit my family...
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:04 pm

Programs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKz7wjc7ys
Almost forgot the great Tango shows and restaurants in San Telmo and harbor walk at Puerto Madero
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Great suggestions! We will actually be stopping in Montevideo on our cruise, so I don't think we should do that separately.

Oh, one more question. Would it be worthwhile for each of us to sign up for a Gold challenge and then upgrade it to a Platinum one? It's 5000 miles each way, so that way we would get the 25% bonus for the trip down (1250 extra miles) and have Gold when we check in for the return trip.
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Lifetime,
Buenos Aires trip

I just came back from BA and this trip re-confirmed that Buenos Aires is one of my favorite cities because the city is the main attraction. No real "must see art" no Louvre or British Museum that you simply have to hit no Vatican or Parthenon. Unless you consider the Recoleta Cemetary a must see.

Wander the streets. Take the subway it costs 25 cents. Enjoy the vibrancy of the city. Walk through Calle Forida the shopping street. Look at all the great buildings and recall that at one point Argentina was richer than Spain.

With that much time in BA you might want to take the fast boat Buquebus over to Colonia in Uruguay its a neat old city, and you get another passport stamp.

For my money the best dinner in the city is the steak house Mirasol in La Recova. Under the overpass from Avienda Julio 9. Great service fab wine list and walkable from most hotels.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

How about a good seafood restaurant or two?
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good information here : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Yes, that looks like a very helpful thread. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
While all that is referenced here is true and we enjoyed it, also be aware of the risks in BA. The main scam is the 'toss something on your clothes and try and help you scam'. It's very real. Mrs. Deac83 and I had this happen but we were aware of it and avoided any theft because we knew what was happening.

Another couple in our hotel had the same thing happen on the same day.
Old Sep 12, 09, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
We just booked an Antarctica cruise, too, rt from BA on Celebrity - but not until 2011. We will want to use miles for J tickets - I understand they go fast. Thinking of booking by phone, worth it to pay the $20 phone fee to book since I believe they are in phone inventory a day or two before .com inventory - can anyone confirm if this is actually true?
Old Sep 12, 09, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM+, A3 GLD
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
While all that is referenced here is true and we enjoyed it, also be aware of the risks in BA. The main scam is the 'toss something on your clothes and try and help you scam'. It's very real. Mrs. Deac83 and I had this happen but we were aware of it and avoided any theft because we knew what was happening.

Another couple in our hotel had the same thing happen on the same day.
The other common scam is taxi drivers handing you fake bills back (we know from experience). Just learn how to identify the fakes, and always learn the last two digits of the bill you hand a taxi driver. But don't let these scare you, BA is a great city and relatively safe, easy to walk, you will have a great time.
Old Sep 12, 09, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
I took a day-trip to BA (from Dublin, IE) back in May. You can read about it in my trip report (including what to expect in Business class from DFW).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ay-w-pics.html
Old Sep 12, 09, 10:04 pm

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
If you have any interest in Argentine history, and you happen to be in BA on a Thursday, you can go and watch the Mothers of May Square (Madres de la Plaza de Mayo) demonstrations.

I first witnessed this in college on a school trip to BA. It really hits home how tragic the Dirty War (Guerra Sucia) was for these people. Their loved ones just vanished.

These mothers faithfully march every Thursday afternoon. It was the most profound experience I had on that college trip. I remember I was the only one in my school group who spoke Spanish, so I translated while a Madre told us the story of her son and how he vanished. I was so moved that afterwards I just burst into tears and hugged this woman, telling her "I am so sorry. I am so sorry!"

There is a wiki about it that I will post below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothers..._Plaza_de_Mayo

It certainly won't be the most happy experience for you, but it will give you a look into some of the hardships Argentines faced in the late 70's.
Old Sep 12, 09, 10:04 pm

I visit BA 2-3x a year for business and will agree it is a fantastic place to visit! I usually stay in Recoleta, Palermo Hollywood or Puerto Madero. And note with three Pesos to the Dollar, the exchange rate is in your favor!

As others have said Argentine beef is the best and they have excellent wine (ensure to have a bottle of Malbec). No matter where you go, you will always find a great steak. However my preference is Spettus Steak House at Alicia Moreau de Justo 876. This restaurant stands out for the variety of dishes and the care in the preparation. Its strongest point is grilled meat, some of which is barbecued on a spit and offered to diners at their tables, at regular intervals. There is also a great selection of salads as well as seafood. It offers more than 20 different cuts of red meat, pork and chicken.

Mind you, be safe when you travel. Especially at night! Walk in well lit areas, walk amongst others and stay away from the train tracks. Speaking from experience, I have never had an incident and I've been fortunate to travel to a dozen countries, but I'm 6'5" and an ex-cop so I was quite surprised to have three kids try to rob me at knifepoint as I walked down Juan B Justo Avenue at 7pm, which is a main avenue in Palermo Hollywood. As always, be alert of your surroundings..

Search this Thread