FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Cava de Cano Mendoza? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/985661-cava-de-cano-mendoza.html)

Flying Machine Aug 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Cava de Cano Mendoza?

Has anyone been for Lunch or Dinner? I was reading a post and it looked pretty good.. see link

http://globalnomad.planeteye.com/200...-cava-de-cano/

Gaucho100K Aug 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

Its been a long time since I was last there, but my memories are positive.

Coincidentally, two different visitors from the US (one of them a FTer) had positive remarks about this place in recent talks with me.

davescharf Aug 17, 2009 11:35 am

My wife and I were there for dinner when we visited in May. In my opinion, Cava de Cano is a "must". The food was very good, although my wife didn't care for parts of the first course, and you can't beat the experience. We were shocked as well that the bill was only like $80 US given everything we had.

A few other thoughts
-- They did not take credit cards when we were there so make sure you have Pesos.

-- The house wine was just "OK" in my opinion. At a $6 - $7 price point it's very drinkable but it was not one of my favorites while in Argentina.

-- Go hungry because you will leave beyond full. This is the case everywhere you go in Mendoza but it's especially true here because of the amount of food you get.

I know the Mendoza thread has other options for places to go, but if you'd like some other thoughts (especially if you're staying in Chacras) feel free to PM and I'd be happy to share.

wembley14 Aug 24, 2009 7:32 pm

My wife and I (and her parents) just returned from a vacation in Argentina. We visited Cava de Cano for lunch during our stay in Mendoza. This was our second time going to this restaurant, and it was just as good (and unique) as the first visit two years ago.
The restaurant is divided into small private rooms, where you are served a great meal. The initial course consists of many samples of different types of food. Beans, rice, squash, fruits, cheeses and sausages are just a small sample of what is served. This first course is then followed by four additional courses. These consisted of two different empanadas, a beef stew, and a pasta. The meal ends with a dish of ice cream covered in dulce de leche. Their own wine (a syrah) was also served throughout the meal.
The total for this meal was $30 (U.S.) per person, and there is no way a normal person could finish all the food that is served.
I highly recommend a visit to this restaurant during your stay in Mendoza.
I also can highly recommend our driver in Mendoza, if you have the need for a driver during your stay.

Gaucho100K Aug 25, 2009 7:14 pm

Great report, thanks for sharing !!! ^

davescharf Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by wembley14 (Post 12277120)
My wife and I (and her parents) just returned from a vacation in Argentina. We visited Cava de Cano for lunch during our stay in Mendoza. This was our second time going to this restaurant, and it was just as good (and unique) as the first visit two years ago.
The restaurant is divided into small private rooms, where you are served a great meal. The initial course consists of many samples of different types of food. Beans, rice, squash, fruits, cheeses and sausages are just a small sample of what is served. This first course is then followed by four additional courses. These consisted of two different empanadas, a beef stew, and a pasta. The meal ends with a dish of ice cream covered in dulce de leche. Their own wine (a syrah) was also served throughout the meal.
The total for this meal was $30 (U.S.) per person, and there is no way a normal person could finish all the food that is served.
I highly recommend a visit to this restaurant during your stay in Mendoza.
I also can highly recommend our driver in Mendoza, if you have the need for a driver during your stay.

Our waiter told us they design the appetizer with 5 people in mind so for a party of 2 it's more than double what they plan you eating.

I think the only reason my wife didn't like parts of the 1st course (she liked a lot of it) was that some of it was cold food that she's used to having warm. She understood that's the way it is served there but she still is a little bit fussy when it comes to stuff like that.

The only stuff I didn't like was the blood sausage :) I don't think I tried the cow parts either, but I did have tripe later in the trip.

Gaucho100K Aug 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Blood Sausage = Morcilla

Good stuff !!

imm2b Jun 17, 2014 8:02 am

Our group of 4 came here last night. We had so much food and wine to last us a whole week. The experience was very memorable. The owner Claudio came to greet us at the entrance and took us to the whole process of explaining the history of the restaurant. We had an excellence meal and great service. Our tab was only $100 USD for 4 people, which is a bargain for the experience. Our party was very surprised of the low price. Our set dinner includes cold cuts, 4 courses, dessert, coffee and cigar. Taxi from Mendoza was about 100 ARS. Highly recommended.

Gaucho100K Jun 22, 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by imm2b (Post 23048160)
Our group of 4 came here last night. We had so much food and wine to last us a whole week. The experience was very memorable. The owner Claudio came to greet us at the entrance and took us to the whole process of explaining the history of the restaurant. We had an excellence meal and great service. Our tab was only $100 USD for 4 people, which is a bargain for the experience. Our party was very surprised of the low price. Our set dinner includes cold cuts, 4 courses, dessert, coffee and cigar. Taxi from Mendoza was about 100 ARS. Highly recommended.

Thanks for another great report... keep them coming !!! ^