Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Bs. As. to Gran Bs. As.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

What is the most efficient way to get from the city centre of Bs. As. to los barrios externos? I am referring to how to get from the city centre to Villa Martelli, Vicente López, or Tres de Febrero on a daily basis and back. I will need to do this for two weeks next year during my stay in Bs. As. I also have not booked a hotel--are there any good hotels (only hotels; no hostels, B&B, or dormitorios) at least near the above areas so I don't have to take a very long commute?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:38 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Aside from the input you will be able to get here, I strongly suggest you registre and post a thread with your questions over on the Trip Advisor Boards. They have a few DE's over there that reside in the Gran Buenos Aires... and they will be able to provide valuable input.

Going out on a limb of sorts... I dare say that 'good' hotels will only be available in the area of Vicente Lopez.... but then again, the exact definition of acceptable/good/decent is of course relative... so I dont know what sort of latitude you have here. Plenty of Hoteles Familiares & Hoteles de Viajantes in the other areas... but I don think they are what you are looking for.

The Bus... Colectivos as they are called are going to be your best bet in terms of transportation.... unless of course you are able to accomodate (budgetwise) a Remise** Service.

** car service similar to Taxis, they are inexpensive in Buenos Aires if you do your math in a G7 Nation Currency
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
In my experience, remise services are cheaper in Gran BA than the city.

Remise drivers from the city will probably also be very reluctant to go somewhere in Gran BA they're unfamiliar with. Gran BA is a big area, and many drivers don't carry maps. And you won't be of any help in giving directions.

If you stay in the city, it's better to have a remise from the area where you want to go to drive into the city and pick you up.

John
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
If you need to stay outside the city, your might want to contact the tournament organizers for advice.

I would echo Alex's advice that some parts of Gran BA are not safe, particularly at night (even though they might be safe during the day).

We got stranded one night in Gran BA after attending a wedding (well it was more like 4 in the morning). The streets had flooded and were not passable by car, so the only way to get back into the city was by train or collectivo. Some of the guests just waited until it was light outside and the flooding had subsided because they felt insecure about waiting around in the dark at a bus stop or train platform.

John

Last edited by SoFlyOn; Aug 14, 2009 at 1:53 am
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Trains and busses are plentiful and efficient and cheap. If you prefer more privacy/security, a remis is a fine option (a door-to-door flat-rate taxi). Good advice on calling a remis from where you want to go to pick you up, as you are essentially paying for roundtrip anyway- it doesn't really matter if you are in the car one way or both ways (like picking someone up at the airport). However, some remises may be reluctant to drive downtown to pick you up if they don't know you as a customer, as they see it as a bit of a risk- what if you aren't there, or changed your mind? It's a long wasted trip.

Maybe take a train the first time, then find a local remis agency to take you back to the hotel. Tell them you'll be needing more trips, and ask if they would pick you up there. Once they know you are legit, you'll have a better chance.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
In my experience, remise services are cheaper in Gran BA than the city.

Remise drivers from the city will probably also be very reluctant to go somewhere in Gran BA they're unfamiliar with. Gran BA is a big area, and many drivers don't carry maps. And you won't be of any help in giving directions.

If you stay in the city, it's better to have a remise from the area where you want to go to drive into the city and pick you up.

John
It depends where in Gran BA... Here in Martinez, Remises are quite pricey.

As an example, it costs 25% less for me to call a Capital Federal Radio Taxi from my house to take me to Palermo when compared to a Remis...

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 14, 2009 at 9:24 am
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

You could take the train or bus
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:38 pm

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

Originally Posted by AjedrecístaBritánico
You could take the train or bus
Ah..... thanks for the tip. Do you think its OK if I drive my car...

Please advise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.