Wiki Posts
Search

EZE Departure Tax now US$29 - 61% increase

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
EZE Departure Tax now US$29 - 61% increase

I hadn't read anything about this until just now when I noticed it on LAN's website.

As of March 1, the international departure tax increased from US$18 to US$29. The wesbite also says that the tax will be included in the price of all tickets issued after March 1 which will at least mean one less queue at the airport. This is from lan.com so not sure if this part will apply to all airlines.

Not so many months ago when it was 3.05 pesos to the dollar, the tax was roughly equivalent to 55 pesos. Today it is 106 pesos, a 100% increase

Domestic departure tax has been increased by 139% as well wef March 1.

Edited to add: Although this increase is also mentioned on various other websites, on the Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 website, it is still showing US$18. Anyone here departed since March 1 that can clarify the amount of tax they paid? This could be another reciprocity fee fiasco - announce it then don't implement it on time!

Last edited by britenbsas; Mar 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm Reason: Add info
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for the update...
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
It's no surprise that they don't price it in Pesos! I've wondered for years why this isn't included in the ticket price. Every time I check in at EZE, getting my boarding pass is a breeze, it's that horrendous tax line that holds everyone up. Since everyone must pay it, why has it never been included?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
It's no surprise that they don't price it in Pesos! I've wondered for years why this isn't included in the ticket price. Every time I check in at EZE, getting my boarding pass is a breeze, it's that horrendous tax line that holds everyone up. Since everyone must pay it, why has it never been included?
They probably didn't want to be part of the ARC/IATA pool of recipients of $ once tickets are used. They wanted "cash now." And that is a HUGE peso increase with the US$ at near $3.65.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by britenbsas
I hadn't read anything about this until just now when I noticed it on LAN's website.
Where did you notice it on LA website?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just went to get a dummy quote from EZE and here's the pricing breakdown:

Detalle de impuestos
INMIGRATION TAX ARG. (AR)

AIRPORT TAX ARGENTINA (XR)

INMIGRATION TAX ARG. (QO)

SECURITY TAX ARGENTINA (TQ)

Tasas y/o impuestos US$ 64.35

It looks like US$29
Old Mar 7, 2009, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Where did you notice it on LA website?
It is towards the bottom of this page which was a link in an email I received from LAN:

http://www.lan.com/promociones/data/...otros_destinos
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
As recently as 2002, it was included in the ticket price (at least on flights from the US).

John
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will be interesting to see how this fiasco is implemented. I already have 2 tickets issued w/o the fee (March, and July) - I would imagine at a certain point (maybe already) that the airline is going to be responsible for collecting the fee at check-in, and the booths will go away (hopefully not turned into "arrival fee" booths).
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I detest paying these taxes and having to queue to give ones money away makes it twice nae thrice as bad.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:31 pm

OK, I'm at EZE and I can say decisively that so far the dep. tax is still 18 dollars or 65.xx pesos.

And the lines are like always.

They don't seem very well situated to be shifted over to arrival fee windows, though it would be a strong statement for chaos theory if they tried to funnel all arriving US Americans through the departure hall to pay the tax. It would almost be worth doing it just once to see the mess.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Telfes
OK, I'm at EZE and I can say decisively that so far the dep. tax is still 18 dollars or 65.xx pesos.

And the lines are like always.

They don't seem very well situated to be shifted over to arrival fee windows, though it would be a strong statement for chaos theory if they tried to funnel all arriving US Americans through the departure hall to pay the tax. It would almost be worth doing it just once to see the mess.
Chaos is done very well here already. Please don't encourage it

According to this article in La Nacion, although a government minister was opposed to the increases, they were in fact implemented last Sunday (March 1). If you paid $18 today, who knows what is happening?

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?...&high=embarque
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: DL GM (soon to be nada), UA 1P (hoping to keep that), IC A
I paid $18 on Saturday evening. All of the signs still say $18.

However, I was told at the IC that is was $29, so it is coming soon.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Chaos is done very well here already. Please don't encourage it

According to this article in La Nacion, although a government minister was opposed to the increases, they were in fact implemented last Sunday (March 1). If you paid $18 today, who knows what is happening?

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?...&high=embarque
I definitely paid US$18 (or the equivalent) and ALL the signs indicated $18. However, as texfrazer essentially pointed out, what happened on Saturday and Sunday, may not be what happens Monday, Tues, or Wed.. That is really a pretty sharp price hike, which for US Americans, combined with the pending entry fee, slowly but surely makes Argentina more and more expensive. Bummer. I am still new to Argentina, this last one having been just my second visit, but if I get fee'ed to death, I may not rush back. Sigh.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:43 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
My +1 and I are flying EZE-IAD tonight. Can one of us line up to check in, and the other one line up to pay the departure tax for both of us? Or do we need to have the BPs in hand before we can even pay the departure tax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.