Wiki Posts
Search

Maradona - surely not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Maradona - surely not?

With the state of Argentine football at an all time low the national team seems set to be coached by the legendary Maradona - so says the man himself, according to news reports.

Now, I say an all time low because since moving here exactly a year ago I must say from what I have seen during that time the quality of football from both the league teams and the national side has been very poor IMHO.

If the great man himself proves to be right about his forthcoming appointment it looks as if his first game in charge could be against my country of birth - Scotland at Hampden Park, Glasgow in November. Now if Argentina can't beat Scotland, Maradona's role as head coach could be one of the shortest ever.

Last edited by HIDDY; Oct 28, 2008 at 8:27 pm
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Well, it looks as though the national team will now go on regimen of heavy eating, binge drinking, and lack of working out, since that's the regimen that Maradonna himself has been on for the past 15 years.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA,UA,CX
MARADONA

I was in Italy when he was playing for my team, NAPOLI.Surely the best football player ever, much better than PELE'. Coaching a team? Are you kidding me? The wrong person at the wrong place, he does not have the brain and the discipline. He tried it for a little while, a couple of games, a failure. Being the greatest player does not necesarily means you will be a great coach. Good luck though
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zagorsky
I was in Italy when he was playing for my team, NAPOLI.Surely the best football player ever, much better than PELE'. Coaching a team? Are you kidding me? The wrong person at the wrong place, he does not have the brain and the discipline. He tried it for a little while, a couple of games, a failure. Being the greatest player does not necesarily means you will be a great coach. Good luck though
This is certainly true. Generally, brilliantly talented players make the worst coaches, because the game is much more intuitive to them then it is to the average role players that they need to motivate and understand how to best utilize. It's invariably the marginal guys, who need to understand and work every angle of strategy and game tactics in order to hang on to their positions, who make the best coaches because of that knowledge.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:06 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
While it is still not officially confirmed, as the AFA has to have a formal meeting to appoint Maradona as the head of the three man team that will be running La Seleccion..... I think its safe to assume that Maradona will be given the job.

I think its a sad decision.... and I hope history gives Julio Grondona - president of the Argentine Football Federation his right place in history (in the hall of shame) for allowing this to happen. You cannot lead a team of players and ask them to be professional when the 'boss' is a convicted cheater/doper/druggie, etc. etc.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
With the state of Argentine football at an all time low the national team seems set to be coached by the legendary Maradona - so says the man himself, according to news reports.

Now, I say an all time low because since moving here exactly a year ago I must say from what I have seen during that time the quality of football from both the league teams and the national side has been very poor IMHO.

If the great man himself proves to be right about his forthcoming appointment it looks as if his first game in charge could be against my country of birth - Scotland at Hampden Park, Glasgow in November. Now if Argentina can't beat Scotland, Maradona's role as head coach could be one of the shortest ever.
I think that Batista will be in charge of the team in the match against Scotland.... still, Diego will be behind and calling the shots.

I agree with you that the average play in the Argentine League has gone down the drain.... only a few matches are really exciting, and there is a lot of kicking up in the air and hoping someone will get lucky and score. Long gone are the days when Argentine soccer was like billiards. the ball only against the grass.....
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Gaucho100K - Glad you agree with me regarding the quality I'm no expert but even I can see the decline in skills......Lets hope all is not lost.

As for Maradona.......It had to happen sometime that he would take over the running of the national team so now is as good a time as any I would say.

I suspect he will be a inspiration to some of the players (especially the Boca ones) although I'm not so sure about how the other home based players will react.
I do think he will surround himself with knowledgeable staff who can cover for any lack of coaching skills he may have. What I do see as a big plus with having him as coach is his motivation and his obvious passion for the game. This can hopefully be passed on to the players and raise their confidence levels, that to me is the biggest thing that has been missing from the players in recent times. ^
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: skywards, BMI, Qantas, Hilton honours
I for one would like him to be given the job as I would like to see how he would handle the pressure, it would also make it very interesting to the world of football
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:08 pm

I just love the guy, despite (or because?) of all his faults.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:34 pm

I can understand the "interesting" side of giving this guy the job.... but still, there are just so many reasons for not giving him such a position... I guess it boils down to something like this: even though he doesnt have the spotless credentials that you normally need for the job... there will be $$$ generated if you get it so who cares, just give him the darned job and lets make $$$.

What ever happened to rewarding good work and punishing offenders...? If it all boils down to $$$, then something is bound to mess things up sooner or later.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Gaucho100K - Glad you agree with me regarding the quality I'm no expert but even I can see the decline in skills......Lets hope all is not lost.

As for Maradona.......It had to happen sometime that he would take over the running of the national team so now is as good a time as any I would say.

I suspect he will be a inspiration to some of the players (especially the Boca ones) although I'm not so sure about how the other home based players will react.
I do think he will surround himself with knowledgeable staff who can cover for any lack of coaching skills he may have. What I do see as a big plus with having him as coach is his motivation and his obvious passion for the game. This can hopefully be passed on to the players and raise their confidence levels, that to me is the biggest thing that has been missing from the players in recent times. ^
Hiddy-- you raise a very interesting point. Perhaps the only thing that makes me (a little) hopeful about this otherwise dismal appointment is the fact that it would appear that Carlos Salvador Bilardo*** will be playing an important role - apparently as Manager and senior advisor to Maradona. If there is someone that has been able to reasonably manage Maradona, and get him to perform & succeed, that person is Bilardo.

If Maradona does not freak out completely, and listens to Bilardo... then maybe (emphasis on maybe) there is a chance that this entire thing may still have a small dose of hope in it...

Needless to say, I hope that Im wrong about my prejudice and Maradona ends up being a great coach.... nobody would be happier than Gaucho100K if we can again win the world cup and I can laugh about the verde-amarella having tristeza nao' ten fin...

*** Bilardo was head coach of the winning team of WC1986 in Mexico
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:38 pm

His tenor is going to be full of interesting happenings.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by best
His tenor is going to be full of interesting happenings.
Indeed.... interesting it will be. Will it also have sporting success..????? That is the question.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:34 pm

For some fun - type in maradona in youtube.com - very hard not to watch.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:37 am

So... it appears like the clown is going to be officially introduced later this afternoon.... but already there is trouble with who is supposed to be on his staff...

(el que se acuesta con un nenito amanece mojado)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.