Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airfares for Domestic Argentina Flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Book Domestic Argentina Travel Early

I've looked at a number of posts on issue of non-residents buying resident-only fares on Aerolineas Argentinas. These include posts in this excellent Argentina thread and the Argentina thread on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum. I don't have an answer, and I think both views may be correct: Nothing much stops a tourist from buying resident fares from a TA in Argentina and sucessfully flying, but there is always a possibility that "Bad Things May Happen."

However, there is an alternative for those who plan ahead: Book your flights on Aerolinas Argentinas' web site. Certain flights are legally bookable at the deeply discounted rate by non-residents. Use the pick list on the entry page to select county as "U.S." Set your dates and distinations. You will get a Southwest Airlines-style list of available flights and fare for the few days before and after your selected date. A few flights may be listed as "flex tango". These are the resident rates, but fully legal for you to book.

(On on a RT when you pick the return flight, you have to scroll up and re-select your departure flight -- an navigation oddity of this website.)

This rates are only posted for low demand flights and can disappear closer to departure. For example, I booked EZE to El Calafate for $119 each way in high season (January), and this is one of the longer domestic flights available. "Normal" fare is more like $240. Some flights on this route, probably high demand ones, are over $500 each way or "unavailable".

Aerolineas Argentinas' web site doesn't allow you to actually pay for the tix, but only place then on a 24-hour reservation hold. You will get an e-mail confirmation thru Amadeus almost immediately that will say, "trip status: confirmed". Do not believe it. You MUST call Aerolineas Argentinas at 1-800-333-0276 to arrange payment. Today is a holiday in Argentina. They could not process a credit card transaction for me, but Aerolineas extended the reservation hold for my trip and asked me to call back tomorrow.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:44 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hi Bowgie-- Im in agreement with you on the fact that there seems to be no 100% straight answer on this issue. However, Im a little confused on how you arrive at the conclusion that certain flights are legally bookable by non-residents. Im referring to your quote which I transcribe below... (italics & bolding are mine):

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Book your flights on Aerolinas Argentinas' web site. Certain flights are legally bookable at the deeply discounted rate by non-residents.
Are you saying these flights are legally bookable because in your reservation process you got some sort of specific legend or written confirmation that these fares are eligible for non-residents? Or is this an interpretation on your part because in your practical experience, you were able to complete a proper and functional reservation?

Your post continues to say... again, italics & bolding are mine:

Originally Posted by Bowgie
A few flights may be listed as "flex tango". These are the resident rates, but fully legal for you to book.
Again... is there some sort of explicit notice in these fares as they are posted on the website that says they are eligible for use by non residents? Are you able to consult & review the fare rules as part of this booking process?

Please dont misunderstand where Im coming from. Im not a Travel Agent and Im not taking sides on this fare policy used by the Airlines (BTW, Aerolineas is not the only carrier that does this, LAN does the same). Im just trying to make sure that visitors to Argentina know the facts and understand the different scenarios that may occur if they make certain decisions.

Ive heard and read many posts on various Internet Bulletin Boards on how the system can be played. IMHO, I understand many of these practical ways to effectively land resident only fares are all based on assumptions that if the airline's system (website, reservation system, call center, billing center, etc.) somehow allows a non-resident to make a "functional" or "confirmed" reservation, and even pay for a ticket in full, this somehow validates the eligibility or legality of the booked & purchase fare. To come to such a conclusion is not something that is without risk.

I say this based on real-life situations I have witnessed first hand (at AEP when I was doing travel of my own), and also based on my conversations with my company's TA, and other industry professionals that I know.

From all this information, it is my conclusion that while it is true that there are multiple ways to secure a booking, pay for your ticket, and even get a boarding pass using one of these resident only fares.... BEWARE, because in the end, if you are unlucky and your fare basis gets checked/audited upon checking in, there is a possibility you will have issues that may result in inconveniences and additional costs.

Each visitor should understand the facts and then decide if he/she wishes to roll the dice.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:35 pm

Book Domestic Argentina Travel on Aerolineas International Website

Hi Bowgie: Are you saying these flights are legally bookable because in your reservation process you got some sort of specific legend or written confirmation that these fares are eligible for non-residents? Or is this an interpretation on your part because in your practical experience, you were able to complete a proper and functional reservation?

Hello Gaucho:

Here are the fare rules cut and pasted from my e-mail confirmation.

"The information detailed below corresponds to the route:
Cabotaje en Internacional
Flex Tango
Class Economy

Changes Flight/date changes at any time allowed paying USD25 to change to the same class or upper class. Change to a lower class not allowed. Route change allowed with a USD 25 charge per operation.

Name change Not allowed

Cancelations Cancellations allowed at any time with a USD50 or 50% of the fare charge (whatever the smaller amount).

Refunds Refunds allowed at any time with a USD50 or 50% of the fare charge (whatever the smaller amount).

Child discount 33%

Infant discount 100%

Baggage allowance 15KG"

If you try to book a dummy reservation where a flex tango fare is available:
Say January 12 for AEP to El Calafate, the Aerolineas website has a link to the same rules in five different languages. I know it does not "explicitly" say that the fare is good for non-residents. However, to pay for the fare, I had to call Aerolineas' call center, which is most definitely staffed by people from Argentina. The Aerolineas ticket agent asked for my "home residence address in the United State", "US phone number", "credit card", etc and I told him that I do not live in Argentina.

Just for kicks, I went back to the Aerolineas website and changed my "Country of Residence" on the pick-box on the homepage from "United State" to "Argentina". It brings up the home page this time in Spanish. I enter the very same trip info, but instead of presenting me with the avialable flights, the whole page is filled with this text (Spanish version listed first) and a click-through link with ACCEPT: "the fares expressed in pesos for flights within Argentina are valid only for residents of Argentina for tickets bought within the borders of Argentina. If you are not an Argentine resident, please visit the (Aerolineas) website of the country of your residence." And there are direct links for a bunch of other countries including the U.S.

So I think if one is honest with the Aerolineas website and follows the instructions and cautions, then one would be safe to book.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:01 pm

Bowgie, Did you also tell him you're not a citizen, or just where you live?

If not, is it possible that the website just has a bug? They're not showing you the warning when you pick US, but they should???
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Bowgie-- I understand where you are coming from, however, its interesting to note that the fares rules you quote dont seem to address the eligibility issues. I guess the only really valid document would be the complete fare rules and the contract of carriage... but I guess its not worth it to dig into this from a legal standpoint.

In the real world, my biggest "fear" of using these fares (if I were a non resident) would be the fact that the final judge of all this is not some agent of the call center, but the gate agent that checks you in and/or the gate agent that controls your paperwork at the boarding gate. Its hard to predict if telling them that you disclosed the facts of your residence to some AR call center is going to get you off the hook if someone throws the book at you.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rrgg
Bowgie, Did you also tell him you're not a citizen, or just where you live?

If not, is it possible that the website just has a bug? They're not showing you the warning when you pick US, but they should???
Citizenship is irrelevant, its a residency issue. Foreign nationals with a DNI (this is a form of ID that you obtain when you are a legal resident) are 100% legal to use these restricted fares.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 5:49 pm

Book Domestic Argentina Travel on Aerolineas International Website

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Bowgie-- I understand where you are coming from, however, its interesting to note that the fares rules you quote dont seem to address the eligibility issues. I guess the only really valid document would be the complete fare rules and the contract of carriage... but I guess its not worth it to dig into this from a legal standpoint.

In the real world, my biggest "fear" of using these fares (if I were a non resident) would be the fact that the final judge of all this is not some agent of the call center, but the gate agent that checks you in and/or the gate agent that controls your paperwork at the boarding gate. Its hard to predict if telling them that you disclosed the facts of your residence to some AR call center is going to get you off the hook if someone throws the book at you.
It is hard to say what my paperwork at the gate is going look like because I'm traveling on an e-ticket, and I will only be holding a boarding pass given to me by the check-in agent at the AEP airport. Aerolineas has my info in their computer because the Aerolineas call-center employee instantly pulled up all the info I entered thru their website when I gave them the record locator. The call center employee asked me to call within 48 hrs ahead to reconfirm, and he helpfully gave to Aerolineas' toll free number for Mexico, where I will be the day before. I will bring a paper copy of my flight reservation that Aerolineas e-mailed me. It shows payment in USD and U.S. phone contact numbers.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Bowgie--

I guess I cant seem to express myself in a way to get my message over clearly. English is not my native language so I apologize for not being to properly articulate the concepts Im trying to convey.

Your paperwork is your boarding pass and your form of ID, its irrelevant that you have an Eticket. As you surely understand, your PNR and your entire reservation/booking/purchasing record is something that any Airline agent will have easy access to. If you purchase a fare for which you are NOT eligible... (Im sorry but thats the reality of the situation, no matter what sort of twist you want add to this) then, if the agent wants to have beef with you, then the agent WILL HAVE A CASE. You are playing the system... and its your choice to do so -but- please realize that you must be prepared to face the consequences.

Again, please don't misunderstand my position. Im on your side... I have nothing to gain from you getting busted. Im crossing my fingers things will work for you, and its clear you have done your homework very well. Chances are, you will be fine.

My only point is that I want others reading this thread to understand that no matter how you do this, there are risks involved in using these fares.

Its not a matter of how convinced any given traveler is about his/her case, in the end... its up to the gate agent. You come across as a very seasoned traveler and you seem to be comfortable with taking a somewhat aggressive approach to things... thats fine, and kudos to you, but your strategy and approach is not for everybody.

Best of luck to you with your travel plans, Im sure you will have a great trip.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 22, 2007 at 6:15 pm
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Gaucho;
it is not a language problem. Your English is impecable. I think the flyertalk member does not want to understand. In the US, a paper trail is important but in South America it may not. I agree with you. There is a risk of somebody asking for ID when you board and the fare code on the boarding pass will not match your passport and lack of Argentinian identity card.
I am buying tickets for Bariloche and will be paying double just to make sure I use the US site with LAN and specifiy that is for non-resident.
Thank you for explaining the situation so well for the rest of us.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:25 am

Buying Domestic Argentina Flights from Aerolineas' Website

Originally Posted by keisari
Gaucho;
it is not a language problem. Your English is impecable. I think the flyertalk member does not want to understand. In the US, a paper trail is important but in South America it may not. I agree with you. There is a risk of somebody asking for ID when you board and the fare code on the boarding pass will not match your passport and lack of Argentinian identity card.
I am buying tickets for Bariloche and will be paying double just to make sure I use the US site with LAN and specifiy that is for non-resident.
Thank you for explaining the situation so well for the rest of us.
I second the idea that Gaucho is perfectly understandable and clear.
It is also possible that as an American, I may have an unrealistic expectation about what a pieces of paper, be it my purchase receipt in US dollars or my PNR on Aerolineas' computer, may mean to a gate agent inside Argentina.

Let's try something else by cross-posting from The Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum:

"Aerolineas has prices for residents and non-residents. It also has different fares for travellers arriving in Argentina via Aerolineas and for travellers arriving in Argentina via any other international airline. There is no way to get around it as they ask for your papers when you check in. Unless you live in Argentina and have the right ID you will have to pay the non-resident price. This is why the web site says something about country of origin. So you need to be careful when you get quotes that they are for non-residents and also be clear whether the quote is in dollars or pesos.

Round-trip flights from Buenos Aires for travellers arriving in Argentina via Aerolineas Argentinas taxes included:

Calafate ---- 357.00 US$ (Prices for other destinations omitted for brevity)

Round-trip fares from Buenos Aires for travellers not arriving in Argentina via Aerolineas:

Calafate ---- 464.00 US$

When there is not high demand, Aerolineas Argentinas uses the Natalia fare for foreigners independently of which carrier they arrive in Argentina.

Round-trip Natalia fare from Buenos Aires (The one-way fare is half the amount given here):

Calafate --- 241.00 US$

EsterosdelIbera"

(His listed actual name is Jorge Daniel Barchi from Argentina)

Now I can't say one way or the other whether what Jorge says about Aerolineas giving the "Nalalia" fare to overseas web ticket buyers is true or not. This just seems to be consistent with what Aerolineas is allowing me to do. My RT price paid was 239 US$

I can't see a way for definitively clearing this up without a knowledgeable Aerolineas employee weighing in here.

As you and Gaucho say, I'm a big boy. I can roll the dice on this, and report back in January about what actually happens.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari
Gaucho;
Thanks for the compliments on my English, which are certainly not deserved.

Alas, this is not about the paper trail. The fares in question are not for non residents, so even if you have a paper trail the length of the Great Wall of China, its still useless if they throw the book at you.

No matter if its in Mongolia, the USA, Germany or Japan, no paper trail matters if one is playing the system to create a paper trail to purchase and use a non-eligible fare. If you get caught, you will face the music.

But hey... as Bowgie mentions, he is willing to roll the dice and kudos to him for making up his mind and going for it.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 23, 2007 at 4:50 pm
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Gaucho;
what I meant by a paper trail is that if the website made a mistake and you can prove it by a paper trail then in the US usually they will accept that as a mistake of the company and will honor the rate. This does not always work in Europe either. In the US, I think there is a culture of trying to satisfy the customer and the "customer is always right".
I did not say that is any way to imply that a non-G7 country has any low standards, just that I am not sure if any company outside the US will be quick to admit that their website is wrong and honor an incorrect fare.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Keisari-- point taken, and you are right about the fact that in the US, the customer is king and that concept does sometimes move mountains.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 3:21 pm

You're definitely taking a chance, but it's yours to take. On my last flight out of BA via Aerolineas, I watched two businessmen at the gate trying to board on what were clearly resident based fare tickets. Based, presumeably, on how they looked, since the gate agent wasn't asking everyone for their DNIs, they both got asked to produce them, didn't have them, and were sent back out of the gate area to re-purchase their tickets.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 5:29 pm

If they're overbooked, I wonder who'd get bumped first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.