Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leather stores in Uruguay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Leather stores in Uruguay

Any branches of good Argentine leather stores in MVD or Punta. Or any suggestions for places to purchase leather goods in Uruguay.

Thanks. GRF in DC Let's hope for not too much snow tomorrow, at least not until after I leave!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:50 pm

Leather

Short answer: no.

While leather goods tend to be of good quality, there is junk as well.

As for prices, they are barely marginally lower than in other places (uh, Wilson's and the like).

I was down there last year looking, and bought absolutely nothing!

Was seriously turned off by: taxi drivers that want to make a buck from the owners by driving you there (like it was their idea); and some owners that feel they are so superior to everybody else when it comes to product knowledge - Americans are a priced target for this (I had some fun, since I was born and cheated there long before the shopkeepers were even out of diapers).

So, sorry I couldn't help, perhaps someone had a better experience.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:50 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Dear GRF--

Since elpinta couldnt help you (he is mistaken and ill informed about various things he has been posting on the South American boards), perhaps my post will be of some assistance. I happen to know the Uruguayan leather goods market rather well, so please allow me to provide you with the following information:

Uruguay has excellent leather goods of its own making. Uruguay is a small but nevertheless relevant exporter of leather (both unprocessed and processed goods) to various countries. The best leather fashion is made by a Uruguayan company called Christ. Christ was originally a German company and now its operations in Uruguay are one of the groups most important production sites. Quality is top notch, the designs are comtemporary but they also have classic pieces. I can assure you that you will like what they have. Prices are not low, but they are reasonable for the quality you will be getting.

You will be able to find Christ leather goods at various boutiques in Punta del Este, they had one signature boutique at the Conrad Hotel, but also various boutiques on Gorlero street and the surrounding areas that may have better pricing.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Feb 7, 2008 at 3:37 pm Reason: remove old information
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
GRF-- If you need additinal help with Uruguay and leather, please feel free to PM me and I will be glad to assist you further.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:31 pm

Red face Leather in Uruguay

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
GRF-- If you need additinal help with Uruguay and leather, please feel free to PM me and I will be glad to assist you further.
Hi Gaucho100! I'm new in the forums and I got here trying to know a little bit about Uruguay. Specially leather goods, which I love. I guess you are Uruguaian or Argentinian, not sure yet. Do you work with leather? I'd like to know a little bit more about it cause I'm planning to go there in March and I'd love to buy some leather jackets. Thanks a lot in advance. I'm a great fan of you!!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:32 am

Yes, and a nice Jewelry Store, too.

We visited while on a cruise in December which had free van service to Mario's Leather. I bought a great purse, but I thought everything else was $$$. My friend, however, but a really unique jacket. Just down and across the street at the corner was another store that I liked better; just bought a winter hat (which I've been using here in Chicago's blizzards). Remember, it's summer there, and what you'll find is aimed at tourists, I think. The neighborhood seems to require caution. There were several police patrolling.
There was a nice little Jewelry shop across from Mario's: J. Alvarex "semi-precious stones." You'll find a much better deal than Sterns, etc. I bought a pendant made from a stalagtite.
The highlight was a cabdriver who approached us while shopping. All the police new him, "Charles." He took us to the sights, and then shopping at a mall north of town where his family goes, and then to yummy lunch. If you care to look him up, contact [email protected].
M.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:53 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by vanhuism
We visited while on a cruise in December which had free van service to Mario's Leather. I bought a great purse, but I thought everything else was $$$. My friend, however, but a really unique jacket. Just down and across the street at the corner was another store that I liked better; just bought a winter hat (which I've been using here in Chicago's blizzards). Remember, it's summer there, and what you'll find is aimed at tourists, I think. The neighborhood seems to require caution. There were several police patrolling.
There was a nice little Jewelry shop across from Mario's: J. Alvarex "semi-precious stones." You'll find a much better deal than Sterns, etc. I bought a pendant made from a stalagtite.
The highlight was a cabdriver who approached us while shopping. All the police new him, "Charles." He took us to the sights, and then shopping at a mall north of town where his family goes, and then to yummy lunch. If you care to look him up, contact [email protected].
M.
thank you very much for the information!!!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:36 pm

As posted above, IMHO the best place to shop for leather in Uruguay is Christ. Please note this is a maker of high quality goods... they are not inexpensive.

For details, please see:

http://www.christ-leather.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.