Rules on Transporting Wine out of EZE to the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules on Transporting Wine out of EZE to the USA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:02 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Here is a handy link to a printer friendly format PDF file that lists details on what you are allowed to carry in your baggage:

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Prohib...ly_3-16-07.pdf

On page 2 of this document, check the middle (center) column under the item "Additional Useful Information:" where Alcohol is discussed. There, it is clearly stated that the 5 liter rule applies to alcoholic products with alcohol contents of between 24% and 70%.

This document, in addition to a print out of the other link posted above that specifically deals with alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol should be enough to end any discussion with an ill-informed gate agent.

Link: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1189.shtm
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post update - CO changes its wine transport policy

Important update: with the help of FT and thanks to a member that is part of the CO Management Team, CO has announced that it has changed its Wine Transport Policy out of EZE. This is great news for all EZE visitors, and means that CO will now join the ranks of wine friendly airlines that operate from EZE !!! ^
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:02 pm

Please see the CO related announcements on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719146
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Mileage Plus, Priorty Club, Hilton HHonors
Thanks Gaucho100k
I just made it back home with 14 bottles of wine. One case and 2 in my check bags. The packing case I received from you worked GREAT. At check in the United gate agent marked the case fragile and just smiled.
At US customs they did not even stop me, just waved me thru.

Congratulations on the new member of the family.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:30 am

Hi Twobyte.... glad you made it home with your bottles... ^ Thanks for the well wishes... ^
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:47 pm

I brought 12 bottles back from EZE came in via ATL in January. I didn't have to pay duty. The only bad part was the wine made it on 4 flights w/i south american and EZE-ATL fine but one bottle broke from ATL-SYR.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
I brought 12 bottles back from EZE came in via ATL in January. I didn't have to pay duty. The only bad part was the wine made it on 4 flights w/i south american and EZE-ATL fine but one bottle broke from ATL-SYR.
How did you pack your wine...?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Red face

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for sharing your experience.... I dont recall having any customer being written up before.
Alex,

I forgot to tell you, but when I muled-back two cases of wine from your shop last November, I was delayed by customs for close to an hour as I waited to pay $6.43 in duty.

-Bill
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
LAN Chile Rules

I'll be in EZE with the family for all of November: what are LAN's rules on wine shipments as checked baggage to the USA?

-Bill
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by BillScann
Alex,

I forgot to tell you, but when I muled-back two cases of wine from your shop last November, I was delayed by customs for close to an hour as I waited to pay $6.43 in duty.

-Bill
Hi Bill... sorry to hear this happened. Good news is that you now have a US$10 credit waiting for you, with our thanks for your understanding.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by BillScann
I'll be in EZE with the family for all of November: what are LAN's rules on wine shipments as checked baggage to the USA?

-Bill
Bill, I dont know what the rules are... but I think it would be best if you posted this over on the LAN fora.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:12 pm

Many thanks to Gaucho for the wine we bought at his shop on our recent trip through Buenos Aires. It safely made it back to Canada through two flights due to its expert styrofoam packing provided by Alex. Just wish we could have brought more back! He was swamped with pre-Christmas demands yet was very welcoming and gracious to us - Thanks, Alex!
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:44 pm

My pleasure.... and thank you for your goodwill in understanding the special time of year and allowing me to "suffer" all those interruptions during the times we met.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 3:08 pm

Programs: SK*G
UA/LH intinerary?

Would anyone happen to be familiar with LH's rules on checking wine. I will be returning to Europe on a UA/LH itinerary early January and thought I might check some wine...
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:29 pm

Ive never heard of LH having problems with wine as long as its properly packed and you are not grossly over your allowed weight limits/baggage allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.