Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Long distance busses

Long distance busses

Old Nov 2, 06, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Question Long distance busses

Hi,

I'm going to Brazil and Argentina in a couple weeks with a tour. But I have 5 extra days at the end of the tour in BA before I fly back to US. Argentina is sooo big and it's expensive to fly. One obvious side trip from BA is to uruguay. But one of my friend is not a US citizen and it's a pain to get visa to Uruguay.

At first I looked at Salta but it's 20 hours by bus!
I'm looking for ideas for a place that's reachable by overnight bus (8-10 hrs). Is there an intermediate (interesting) destination that we can go to - to break up the long bus ride?
something along the lines of:
BA - overnight bus to XX - spend day in XX - overnight bus to Salta.

I also read HERE that the Train to the Clouds is not operational. Is this true?

Of course, I'm also open to other side trips suggestions out of BA.

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 06, 11:18 am

Overnight Buses

We were in Argentina last February/March and did an overnight bus from BsAs to Mendoza. We really enjoyed Mendoza, doing an all day wine tour and being there for the Vendima. I would suggest you take at least two days in Mendoza. There are some nice restaurants and plenty to see in the area. BTW, the bus was quite comfortable. We did the full cama.
Old Nov 3, 06, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jim Kutsko
We were in Argentina last February/March and did an overnight bus from BsAs to Mendoza. We really enjoyed Mendoza, doing an all day wine tour and being there for the Vendima. I would suggest you take at least two days in Mendoza. There are some nice restaurants and plenty to see in the area. BTW, the bus was quite comfortable. We did the full cama.
Thanks for your suggestion. How many hours was it from BA to Mendoza?
Which bus company did you pick and would you recommend them?

thanks!
Old Nov 3, 06, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by dmk11
Thanks for your suggestion. How many hours was it from BA to Mendoza?
Which bus company did you pick and would you recommend them?

thanks!
He wrote that they "did an overnight bus from BsAs to Mendoza", I guess, it took them the whole night.

You may look at www.lan.com, I have seen some low fares there.
Old Nov 3, 06, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA
bus to Mendoza

Originally Posted by USAFAN
He wrote that they "did an overnight bus from BsAs to Mendoza", I guess, it took them the whole night.

You may look at www.lan.com, I have seen some low fares there.
The bus trip to Mendoza takes 14 and half hours. Price range is between
$105 to $180 arg pesos depending on the service. ($US1 about $3.07 arg pesos)

You may find this website usefull:

http://www.plataforma10.com

There you will find many bus companies (not all of them) to all domestic destinations in Argentina and other countries.

As you can see itīs quite a long trip but some of those buses are equipped whith wonderfull full flat bed seats you wish you can see on an aircraft!

I hope this helps you.
Old Nov 4, 06, 10:28 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I would second the rec. to visit Mendoza, especially if you have an interest in Wines. Salta is a great place to visit, you should look into LAN and also Andes Airlines which has recently been discussed on this forum.
Old Nov 4, 06, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Hi Guacho,

I'm curious about which companies offer the full-cama bus. I actually live across the street from Retiro and two of my friends are going to be coming to visit and want to go to Iguazu and the flights are expensive. I need to buy four tickets, an we were going to take the nicest bus possible. Any suggestions?

Chris
Old Nov 5, 06, 9:10 am

Programs: UA1K, M&M, Gold SPG
May I add, as an alternative, the province of CÚrdoba.
There are some really incredible places there, at 800+ km away from the city of Buenos Aires (10-11 hours by bus, also overnight).
Nono, San Javier and in general de valley called "Valle de Traslasierra" is an incredible place.
General Urquiza has almost flat beds in their upper-class buses.

Catwood: It is hard to tell if you do not travel a lot in buses around Argentina. I do not know any web site that describes buses. My assumption is this depends on the destination selected, and whether it attracts lots of people or it does not.
Old Nov 8, 06, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I would second the rec. to visit Mendoza, especially if you have an interest in Wines. Salta is a great place to visit, you should look into LAN and also Andes Airlines which has recently been discussed on this forum.
Mendoza does sound good, but I plan to go to Chile someday and it's wAaay closer from there than from BA

Originally Posted by chejus
May I add, as an alternative, the province of CÚrdoba.
There are some really incredible places there, at 800+ km away from the city of Buenos Aires (10-11 hours by bus, also overnight).
Nono, San Javier and in general de valley called "Valle de Traslasierra" is an incredible place.
General Urquiza has almost flat beds in their upper-class buses.
I think I will do this. I'm thinking overnight bus to Cordoba, spend a couple days, overnight bus to Salta, spend a couple days and fly back to BA.

I'm seeing USD$300 for roundtrip air BA - Salta. Is this normal? Sounds expensive to me.
Old Nov 9, 06, 11:02 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
If you go by bus make sure you keep all valuables hidden and on you. I had a friend who was traveling with a group but could not afford the airfare so took the bus he fell asleep and woke up with his back pack stolen.
Old Nov 11, 06, 12:26 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by catwood
I'm curious about which companies offer the full-cama bus. I actually live across the street from Retiro and two of my friends are going to be coming to visit and want to go to Iguazu and the flights are expensive. I need to buy four tickets, an we were going to take the nicest bus possible. Any suggestions?
Chris
Sorry but Im not the most experimented bus user. Let me see what I can find out.... off the top of my head, I know that many lines have full-cama buses but they only offer those on selected times of the day.
Old Dec 13, 06, 1:23 pm

I am having trouble figuring out what their different classes are. I am looking at taking the bus and only want to book a seat on a first class/flat bed service. They all seem to be within 20 or 40 pesos so there is no point but to book the best class of service.

Also, is there any other advice i can get for busses, how far do i need to book in advance, can i just go to the bus station a few days out and take care of it there? I kind of want to see the bus before i book.
Old Dec 14, 06, 9:40 am

Programs: DL, AA
Nueva Chevallier is a very good bus line, with pretty new busses and they keep them pretty clean. Just a personal preference from the limited travels I have. Competition is high, so the bus lines match each other in quality and pricing a lot.

Echoing Gaucho's comments, the full camas will be offered at select times to the most popular routes, obviously the longer ones. I don't choose the cama, so I can't comment on what they're like. They also have ejecutivo, which is good, similar in concept to business class seats on the airlines (san the TVs and special electronic conveniences). It's not a lie flat bed, but it reclines enough that sleeping isn't much of a problem. The suite is better than ejecutivo in space and quality of the seat, with a little bit more recline, and they tend to stop at a couple or few less stops along routes than ejecutivos. However even your standard semi-cama is far better than your standard airline coach seat, of course. If you get any of the top classes, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the seat, especially for the price. A dollar sure goes a long way in Argentina.

http://www.plataforma10.com/ is a good site to just browse options, although not all bus lines are there. In general, most seats seem to be available a month ahead of time, although when the bus fills depends on the route, demand, times, etc, so I can't help you there. If you tried to buy a seat about 4 or 5 days ahead, you should be able to get a ticket to where you want to go, even if it isn't the class you want. Also, walking up to the ticket counter of the bus line you can ask each company about the differences in each of their classes.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 15, 06, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, AAdvantage
My wife and I took our honeymoon in Argentina last year, and took a Via Bariloche bus to Iguazu Falls. It was quite a long haul (22 hours) but went through some nice scenery, stopping at some rustic outposts, and finally did arrive at Foz do Iguazu (Brazil). We were the only foreigners on the bus, and it was so much fun interacting with the Argentines (BTW- thanks for all of the great advice about BsAs last year, Guacho!). Our trip was run as a tour group, but it was nice to pay one price and receive lodging, the bus tour, transport back and forth to the parks, and some pre-determined eatery choices. I don't know if they are available on the web or not, but I would recommend them highly. We utilized the services of friends in BsAs who used a local travel agency to book it.

If you know Spanish, you will do well to get to know some of the families and people on your trip!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: