Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Argentine Wines 101 and Q&A thread

Argentine Wines 101 and Q&A thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Look to the Neighborhood Asian Markets for your Wine?

Tiendas Chinos are the Neighborhood Markets that seem to dot the residential streets in BsAs. Yes, the name many not be politically correct in other parts of the World, but that the go to name in BsAs. Some have very well thought out Wine Selections, while others may have older inventory plagued with dust (but those are the minority from my experience) They are open late, have wonderful selections for the most part and they are a great place to find wine! And. according to this article the least expensive place as well. Read on and Happy Drinking!

http://www.areadelvino.com/articulo.php?num=29593
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Tiendas Chinos are the Neighborhood Markets that seem to dot the residential streets in BsAs. Yes, the name many not be politically correct in other parts of the World, but that the go to name in BsAs. Some have very well thought out Wine Selections, while others may have older inventory plagued with dust (but those are the minority from my experience) They are open late, have wonderful selections for the most part and they are a great place to find wine! And. according to this article the least expensive place as well. Read on and Happy Drinking!

http://www.areadelvino.com/articulo.php?num=29593
Nonetheless, many Chinos are notorious for cutting all the electricity when they close. Yes, even the refrigerators. Those "cool summer days and nights" cause the wine to cook. I've had white wine from Chinos that was putrid - tasted like old oxidized wine, and it should have been fine under normal storage.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I go to a particular "chino" for wines. Indeed the prices are much better, especially in upper-middle-range wines. What you find at Coto or Carrefour for 300 pesos, they have for 150. You're not going to find anything beyond Rutini, though. The only con is most of the time they only take cash, so be prepared.

Some years ago I lived in Palermo and had a "chino" next door. I used to go very often for my daily shopping so we had contact. He told me the Chinese supermarket owners would assemble, rent a van and drive all the way to Mendoza where they would negotiate straight with the the bodegas. The big price difference with large supermarket chains was due to the fact they didn't pay the shipment (they had the van) and they offered the bodega to pay cash, while larger chains usually paid only 30/60/90 days after receiving the merchandise. In an inflation-prone country, paying the total straight away apparently made a big difference for the bodegas.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Premium Wine Tasting in Mendoza August 10th and 11th

For those whom may be in Mendoza in August. Perhaps this event may interest you:

http://www.twitter.com/PremiumTastin...208641/photo/1

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 23, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Perfect case of wine!

Hey Gaucho100K,

Thanks again for delivering a perfect case of wine last week in BA. The selection was awesome and the bottles arrived in perfect condition throughout the process of transport, check-in, US Customs, recheck, baggage claim at destination, taxi ride and the unboxing at home. Bottles look perfect and labels intact. A couple of them were a bit tight due to the oversize style, but still wiggled loose without incident.

I'm looking forward to enjoying these gems you delivered, just trying to establish some discipline so not to rob the cradle

Thanks again for everything!

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:32 pm

Mega Wine Tasting BsAs August 2nd & 3rd

If your in BsAs on August 2nd & 3rd.. and want to taste a full range of Wines (100+) This tasting may be of interest..

Mas de 1.200 etiquetas en stock, VENI A CONOCERNOS!!

2 y 3 de Agosto MEGA DEGUSTACION ANUAL 2017
Cuarta Edicin.#OzonoMDA
En formato feria 17 Proyectos, 16 Enlogos y ms de 100 Vinos para Degustar en un solo lugar!!

SOLO 100 ENTRADAS POR DIA!!!

http://www.ozonodrinks.com.ar/
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:48 pm

List of Wines Presented at The Premium Tasting Mendoza

Hi Folks,

In case your interested in the line up of Wines that were presented at this years Premium Tasting (held earlier this month in Mendoza):

http://www.argentinaysusvinos.com/20...gustacion.html
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm more interested in the price of the wine.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm more interested in the price of the wine.
Yeah, I do as well. There was a PDF with pictures of all the bottles of the wines presented and the "suggested over inflated pricing" (if I find it I will post it) In the meantime, if your still interested try and Google the names you like and Mercardo Libre will normally have much more realistic "market" pricing.. Also, check out this site Mr. Wines he has a killer palate, strong inventory and remarkable low pricing on very interesting wines. The guy has the winemakers visiting and presenting all the time:

http://www.lodemusu.com.ar

As an aside, remember the Author Series Wines you had picked up and I commented on.. My Son was doing a Semester abroad in London this Summer. I picked one of the series up in London at asupermarket for him and his roommate for 5 GBP.. Before you know it, the whole dorm was on it and cleaned out the shelves (and this was in South Kensington in Courtfield Gardens) Kid was living large
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Sep 1, 2017 at 11:59 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

As an aside, remember the Author Series Wines you had picked up and I commented on.. My Son was doing a Semester abroad in London this Summer. I picked one of the series up in London at asupermarket for him and his roommate for 5 GBP.. Before you know it, the whole dorm was on it and cleaned out the shelves (and this was in South Kensington in Courtfield Gardens) Kid was living large
Young ones will drink any old rubbish.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:40 pm

Extreme Argentina: New Limits: New Terriors

Very Interesting Article about different Wine Zones in Argentina published by Decanter (source:Wines of Argentina) :

http://www.decanter.com/argentina-20...rroirs-374581/

See links at the end of the article for other Argentina Wine Related topics..
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:28 am

Criolla

Have you had a Criolla lately? Perhaps you should:

http://m.iprofesional.com/notas/2558...-vinos-del-ano
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Hi FlyerTalkers:

Just wanted to post a note expressing my thanks to and endorsement of Gaucho100K, also known as Alex. He worked with me in advance to design a tasting that suited our interests, and the wines delivered. He's very knowledgeable and happy to engage with tasters on whatever knowledge level you have-- in my case deep on California, moderate on parts of France, and basically nil on Argentina. Alex is also friendly and delivers great service. He even brought our case of wine to us at our hotel personally when his regular courier service dropped the ball!

If you have any interest in exploring Argentine wines while in BA, Alex needs to be top of your list.
Gaucho100K likes this.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Oct 29, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:26 pm

Checking box of wine on DL not allowed?

Question for Gaucho100K and other Argentina experts:

I am planning to bring a case of wine from Mendoza to the US as checked luggage. Id planned to buy a styrofoam shipping box like Gaucho recommends, but I just found in Deltas fine print that boxes are not accepted as checked luggage to/from South America. I have a less than ideal route home (MDZ-ATL-MCO), with Aerolineas Argentinas for the first leg and DL for the last two; DL issued the ticket. I have too many bottles to fit into my checked bag. Any ideas on how I may be able to get my wine safely checked home?

Thank you all in advance!!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
JAL Serving Tiano & Nareno in F

deleted
Gaucho100K likes this.

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:44 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.