Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Currency in Argentina

Currency in Argentina

Old Dec 27, 05, 9:37 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: USA expat somehere south of Valpo
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
you see how much the Chilean peso has even gained against even the US$, from about 600 or so less than a year ago!

viajero, have you noticed Chile being substantially more expensive than Argentina? When i went to both about a year to year and half ago, Chile was mildly more expensive, but that was with the peso about 15% lower!
Argentina is still cheaper than Chile but not as much a bargain as even a year ago due to the large amount of tourism/immigration/investors from richer countries and normal price inflation.

Chile has also experienced price inflation in almost all the basic necessities of life.

The difference between the two countries in the past year is that the Central Bank of Argentina is constantly holding down the value of the peso in regards to the USD whereas the Central Bank of Chile has maintained a hands off approach despite the resulting impact on certain export industries. For the forseeable future, the basic equation is high and higher copper prices will mean a continued high CLP in regards to the USD and other currencies that experience direct intervention.

I was fortunate that I started taking action four years ago to diversify out of the USD. First CHP (thanks to Everbank World Markets) and futures in precious metals and recently a greater shift over into direct precious metals holdings with a continuing complement of futures positions. In hindsight, exchanging CLP for USD when CLP was at 750 to the USD about three years ago would have also been a good investment. Bottom line in my case, I have come out ahead whereas someone who sat on dollars for the past four years would have seen a 30%+ decrease in purchasing power within Chile. Compare that to the practically 2.9+ average ARS to USD exchange rate in the same period. No wonder so many gringos end up in Argentina over Chile...not to mention the so many other differences

Last edited by Viajero Perpetuo; Dec 27, 05 at 9:40 pm
Viajero Perpetuo is offline  
Old Dec 27, 05, 11:23 pm
  #17  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,466
Chile has been more expensive than Argentina for a few years now and especially since 2002. However, even before the Argentine de-dollarization and since 1999, I found Chile to be not as good a value as Argentina unless just comparing Santiago and Buenos Aires. (Buenos Aires was a more expensive city than Santiago and in some rather limited regards Buenos Aires still is; however, the value proposition has generally gone in one direction these past three or so years. That is to say, Chileans now come to Argentina by the bus- and plane-loads for a reason; and a few years back "bargain shopping" in Buenos Aires or elsewhere in Argentina would not be a thought that crossed the average Chilenos' mind.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Dec 28, 05, 12:43 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 32,631
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
The chilenos have become the new " ugly, but de$ired, 'Americans' " in Argentina.
Estimado Viajero, Im well familiar with just what is going on. I just spent a few hours with a driver in Pta Arenas who has never been to most of Chile but vacations in Argentina. Ive also watched my cheap vacations turn into moderately-priced ones over the past 10 trips to Chile since 2001. By the way, it is so warm down here that even the pinguinos arent up to their normal habits - about 20c today.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Dec 29, 05, 8:15 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: USA expat somehere south of Valpo
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Estimado Viajero, Im well familiar with just what is going on. I just spent a few hours with a driver in Pta Arenas who has never been to most of Chile but vacations in Argentina. Ive also watched my cheap vacations turn into moderately-priced ones over the past 10 trips to Chile since 2001. By the way, it is so warm down here that even the pinguinos arent up to their normal habits - about 20c today.
Estimado Eastbay, I envy your extensive trips to this part of the world. I've only made it as far south as Chiloe and the nearby fjords. Thanks to distance and transport options, Argentina is usually the easier and cheaper option. Do wear your sun block as you are near, if not under the ozone hole along with it being summer... Regards.
Viajero Perpetuo is offline  
Old Dec 29, 05, 11:31 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ord -n- mdw
Programs: big pimpin'
Posts: 974
Estimado Eastbay, i understand the south of Chile and Argentina , especially Tierrea del Fuego(my next trip, hopefully) is rather expensive with the infusion of tourist dollars and the like. what are your feelings on that?
arfgoblue is offline  
Old Jan 4, 06, 10:21 pm
  #21  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,466
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
Estimado Eastbay, i understand the south of Chile and Argentina , especially Tierrea del Fuego(my next trip, hopefully) is rather expensive with the infusion of tourist dollars and the like. what are your feelings on that?
Such tourist areas, in both countries, have sustained significantly higher prices on average than elsewhere in either country. Crisis or no crisis.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jan 4, 06, 10:55 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 32,631
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Such tourist areas, in both countries, have sustained significantly higher prices on average than elsewhere in either country. Crisis or no crisis.
I didn't find Punta Arenas overly expensive. No bargain, but nothing outrageous. Of course, I haven't been there for 6 days
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jan 5, 06, 8:33 am
  #23  
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 35,181
Prices in Patagonia have gone through the roof over the past 2-3 years. The best places in Patagonia are expensive (no matter which currency you do your math in), and will not go down anytime soon. There is simply far too much demand and hotel capacity cant keep up. Various new projects are under construction and plan, but its not only an investment issue but there are also environmental concerns and suitable spots to develop are getting scarce.

Not to start a food fight over this Chilean & Argentine thing... but please allow me to point out that Chileans are not at all ugly & undesireable in Mendoza. The locals (ie. the Mendocinos) are very much in love with them and its a very important part of the Mendoza economy. Nothing wrong with increasing economic exchange with our neighbour on the left side of the Andes.

Wine, of course, is another matter entirely....
Gaucho100K is offline  
Old Jan 7, 06, 12:44 am
  #24  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,466
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Prices in Patagonia have gone through the roof over the past 2-3 years. The best places in Patagonia are expensive (no matter which currency you do your math in), and will not go down anytime soon. There is simply far too much demand and hotel capacity cant keep up. Various new projects are under construction and plan, but its not only an investment issue but there are also environmental concerns and suitable spots to develop are getting scarce.

Not to start a food fight over this Chilean & Argentine thing... but please allow me to point out that Chileans are not at all ugly & undesireable in Mendoza. The locals (ie. the Mendocinos) are very much in love with them and its a very important part of the Mendoza economy. Nothing wrong with increasing economic exchange with our neighbour on the left side of the Andes.

Wine, of course, is another matter entirely....
For me, Chile is on the "wrong" side of the Andes ..... but not always or often, especially when it comes to skiing. That is to say, I count on snow in Chile more than I can count on snow in Argentina when it comes to skiing. At most all other times, Argentina is on the right side for me.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jan 7, 06, 2:20 pm
  #25  
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 35,181
No argument on the fact that snow is generally more reliable on the Chilean side. However, if you are blessed with a good snow year in Argentina, if you add the normal skiing, the off piste possibilities, the number of things to do apres ski, the crowd, etc. etc. - then the resorts on the right side of the Andes are much better. Of course, Im biased.... but, take it from someone that has been on both sides (or else ask any frequent skier from Brazil).
Gaucho100K is offline  
Old Jan 7, 06, 10:43 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ord -n- mdw
Programs: big pimpin'
Posts: 974
speaking of ski season...

what months are considered the prime ski season in chile/argentina? obviously bare right now, but how about say april? colorado is usually pretty crap after march so i need an alternative. cheers!


Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
No argument on the fact that snow is generally more reliable on the Chilean side. However, if you are blessed with a good snow year in Argentina, if you add the normal skiing, the off piste possibilities, the number of things to do apres ski, the crowd, etc. etc. - then the resorts on the right side of the Andes are much better. Of course, Im biased.... but, take it from someone that has been on both sides (or else ask any frequent skier from Brazil).
arfgoblue is offline  
Old Jan 8, 06, 6:17 am
  #27  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,466
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
No argument on the fact that snow is generally more reliable on the Chilean side. However, if you are blessed with a good snow year in Argentina, if you add the normal skiing, the off piste possibilities, the number of things to do apres ski, the crowd, etc. etc. - then the resorts on the right side of the Andes are much better. Of course, Im biased.... but, take it from someone that has been on both sides (or else ask any frequent skier from Brazil).
The Brazilians whom I know cannot be relied upon for ski advice (and even the Swiss-Brazilians are a little biased). Still, in any good snow year in Argentina, I'd go with you and choose skiing in Argentina EVERY time (given a good snow year).
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jan 8, 06, 8:48 am
  #28  
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 35,181
Perhaps youre hanging around the wrong Brazilians...? I know a bunch that is very well travelled and know their skiing...
Gaucho100K is offline  
Old Jan 11, 06, 7:06 am
  #29  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,466
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Perhaps youre hanging around the wrong Brazilians...? I know a bunch that is very well travelled and know their skiing...
I won't repeat that for danger of getting a lecture.
GUWonder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: