Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Great! Thanks so much!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by silly_stitcher
Any problems getting a taxi upon arrival at EZE on New Year's Day? I'm worried that services at the airport (and in the city) will be harder to find...
You should be fine. All museums, most shops, etc. close on January 1st but taxis -especially at EZE and AEP- should be available. Your main issue once in town could be finding somewhere for lunch and dinner, as many restaurants shut down for a few days after New Year's. Provided you don't mind the heat, January is usually my favourite month in BA as the city is empty compared to the rest of the year.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Marambio
You should be fine. All museums, most shops, etc. close on January 1st but taxis -especially at EZE and AEP- should be available. Your main issue once in town could be finding somewhere for lunch and dinner, as many restaurants shut down for a few days after New Year's. Provided you don't mind the heat, January is usually my favourite month in BA as the city is empty compared to the rest of the year.
True about the dining. You will find some places, but not many, open. You can always check on www.restorando.com.ar for reservations (or just to see what is open).
silly_stitcher likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
My wife and I will be visiting EZE for a few days this spring before heading down to Torres Del Paine. Reading some of the above posts raised a few questions, since I'm assuming I'll have to plan some things a bit differently than I expected or I'm used to:

1. I usually either get foreign currency out from the bank before I leave or stop at the ATM when I get to the airport in the new country. It sounds like there's ATM limits and often a line; what method do you suggest for getting out a few days worth of pesos? How much would I need (if I can use plastic I will but I understand that won't be as possible throughout a lot of town).

2. When we leave, we are taking the 0855A KL flight to SCL; what is the customs/security process for departing and what time should we plan on arriving at the airport (we'd also have lounge access, but from what I hear AR's lounge isn't really worth it)? For what it's worth, we're staying in San Telmo.

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:34 am

I just returned home after a longish stay in BA and Rio.
1. Basically there are no lines for ATMs but each transaction now bears a fee of $10. Alternatively you can change cash at Banco de la Nacion at EZE (no fee, the rate reasonable).
Once in the city, pay your hotel with your credit card (VAT refund on spot), most good restaurants accept CC too, change your cash at Florida for spending at less elegant places.

2. I arrived at EZE at 9.30a. Incredibly long lines at passport control. What a mess and they add to it by working in their fiesta mode :-)
A nice welcome to the country which pretends to be like Europe.
They look like Europeans but they are NOT Europeans.:-(

Entering Argentina was tiring so I thought leaving it should be a breeze (as is the case in most civilized countries).
Haha. My early morning (7.10a) flight to Rio. The same nightmare.
Longish, slow moving line to present the passport to a slow, oblivious to the world, passport oficer.

Aha, once you are after the passport control, you will not change your pessos. Hmm, no cambio at departures in a prime metropolitan airport ;-(
I inquired and they admitted with a smile: you can't change pessos anywhere here, you can only spend it (duty free or food court).
Be prepared and safe travels!

Last edited by abeyro; Dec 21, 2017 at 7:37 am
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I will be in Argentina for about 2 1/2 weeks, then Chile for 10 days. Is it worth it to get an Argentina SIM cell phone card ?? Where is best place to get one ? Carrier?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Due to unforseen circumstances, I find myself with 2 separate tickets flying the following itinerary via EZE this coming Monday:
Ticket 1: GRU-EZE on Latam Brasil (JJ) landing at 9:25 - booked in Economy
Ticket 2: EZE-MAD-LHR on Iberia departing the same day at 14:35 - booked in Business

It's been very long since I last flew through EZE so the collective wisdom of this forum would be much welcome. Here are my questions:
1. I am assuming LATAM will not allow me to through check luggage at GRU on to LHR, given separate tickets. Is that correct? (I am OW Emerald if that makes any difference)
2. Assuming I have to collect luggage in EZE:
How long do you think it would take me to collect luggage, go through customs and immigration?
When does the check in desk of Iberia open to drop the luggage?
How long would it take to go back through passport control around noon?
3. If I am able to travel Hand Baggage only and assuming Iberia allows me print my own boarding pass before travel, is an INT-INT transfer possible at EZE (without going through immigration).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Yes unlikely that you will be able to check the bags all the way with separate tickets ... unless you have a very cooperative LATAM person in GRU.

Deplaning , immigration , luggage pick up and customs will take around one hour ( +/- 15 mins)

Iberia are definitely open three hours before . Someone mentioned that it is 4 hours but I cant be sure.

Security and migration on the way out will be around 30/45 minutes at the most at midday.

Never done an INT/INT transfer at EZE , so cant be sure but I dont see why not
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
INT/INT transfer at EZE is possible. After leaving your aircraft you will walk through a long aisleway towards immigration. Before taking the escalators one level down, there is a sign pointing to "Conexiones internacionales / International connections". Follow the arrow and there is a small door leading to a security check and then you will be on the departures sterile area.

If you need to check-in again (most possible unless the GRU people are amazing), your schedule sounds very reasonable. Immigration and customs shouldn't take more than an hour at extreme maximum. The main arrivals hall is on terminal A, which is the same Iberia uses for check-in. Just turn right before the McDonald's and you will be close to IB's check-in area.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:52 am

Thanks Malagajohn and Marambio for your answers. Sounds like very doable transfer but could take anywhere between 1.5-2.5h assuming Iberia counter opens 4hrs prior to departure. A bit of a faff but may not have much of a choice if I need to check in luggage.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:23 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I will be in Argentina for about 2 1/2 weeks, then Chile for 10 days. Is it worth it to get an Argentina SIM cell phone card ?? Where is best place to get one ? Carrier?
In my experience, Personal is the least problematic of carriers, but it must be said that cell phone service in Argentina is still very much in the stone-age. Be very patient and expect very slow Data transfer rates..... and also, Data will not be cheap with pre-paid services.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I do not think you will have any issue with an EZE arrival if you just pay for your taxi indoors at one of the booths.
Will be arriving at EZE in a couple of days: Will I be able to use a credit card to pay for the taxi at the boths?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by iahphx
BTW, they offered me about a 10% discount paying in pesos instead of by credit card (I think I paid 780 pesos to Recoleta). Fortunately, my wife waited on the 10 minute ATM line (behind the Taxi Ezeiza) desk, while I waited on the taxi ticketing line! As I said, a real mess for morning arrivals. I can only imagine what would happen for peak arrival days, like the Holidays.
If we are able to pay for our taxi upfront at the kiosk with a credit card, is there really any need to go to an ATM line at the airport? Should we not be able to find an ATM near/at our hotel?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by mzb00
Thanks Malagajohn and Marambio for your answers. Sounds like very doable transfer but could take anywhere between 1.5-2.5h assuming Iberia counter opens 4hrs prior to departure. A bit of a faff but may not have much of a choice if I need to check in luggage.
As a post mortem, ended up flying HBO and the I-I transfer was painless (just had to follow the signs for Transfer after disembarking).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC
Will be arriving at EZE in a couple of days: Will I be able to use a credit card to pay for the taxi at the boths?

Many thanks!

I posted in the Uber thread. Since my answer is directly relevant to your question, I'd post it here as well.
Just came back from Argentina. Thought I'd post my feedback since I was looking for this information six months ago.

I was not able to use the Uber app anywhere else except for EZE in Buenos Aires, but upthread posts has workarounds apparently. Upon exiting EZE, I saw clusters of police gathering at the curb. Since Uber isn't exactly legal in Argentina, I didn't want to risk it, so I went back inside to get a cab at Taxi Ezezia booth instead. I was charged 780 ARS pesos cash to go to San Telmo last month, but IIRC this is a flat fee. If you were to pay by credit card, I think the charge would have been 830 ARS. There's ATM machines near the Taxi Ezezia stand if you don't have ARS cash on you. My Spanish is terrible at best, so it was a relief that the people who work at the Taxi Ezezia booth speak English. Know that there will be a baggage handler who will help you with your luggage and direct you to the cab you will be in. He will ask you for a tip, so have some small change handy.

This is what the Taxi Ezezia booth looks like: https://www.buenostours.com/wp-conte...taxiezeiza.jpg

I hope this helps someone.

As for Cabify, I had tried to use it in Buenos Aires (looking to go from where all the theaters are to San Telmo). It took several minutes (think closer to 10 min) to find a match, and each time a match was found, the cab driver would cancel the ride. I ended up just hailing a cab from the street. So, my experience with Cabify wasn't exactly stellar. That said, my friends who live in Buenos Aires swear by it, so I guess if a match was found, it is fairly reliable.

Also, no line for me at the ATM machine at EZE. Immigration and customs were a breeze as well. My flight did land at 6:30am on a Saturday morning if that makes a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.