Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:49 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
Transfer between EZE and AEP

Gaucho,

Do you have any suggestions for minimum ground transfer times between EZE and AEP?

My partner and I are heading to Buenos Aires 03/Julio for ~10 days. flying VARIG from JFK, connecting in GRU, and arriving EZE at 1025 (booked as a US Airways *Alliance C award so can't complain about the routing)...

We'd like to head up to Iguazu for a couple of days and, for convenience, are considering doing it first thing the Sunday we arrive. The best possible (and latest) flight departs AEP at 1405, or approximately 3-1/2 hours after our arrival in EZE. Do you think that's enough time to clear immigration at EZE, transfer to AEP and check-in for the "vuelo de cabotaje" (domestic flight)? My gut tells me this is too tight a connection, in which case we'll make the trip later during our stay. Any thoughts?

PD: Gracias por esta discusión... aún estamos planeando nuestro viaje a la Argentina y la información aquí nos está ayudando bastante... Por lo que veo, vamos a tener unas vacaciones estupendas.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:43 am

I guess Gaucho100K is on vacation ...

You can make it:

When your plane arrives at 10:25AM you are through customs and have your baggage at 11:30AM.
Taxi to AEP is 1 hour, so you arrive at about 12:30PM at AEP ... your plane goes at 14:05PM

When you go "a couple of days" to Iguazu, you should also go to the Brazilian side and also to Itipu.

In 1982 the flood gates of the bypass canal of the Itaipu hydroelectric power station were closed and the lake began to fill up. Today it covers an area of 1350 km˛ and is on average 22 m deep, and 170m deep near the dam wall. 66 small islands have not been covered with water, 44 on the Brazilian side and 22 on the Paraguayan side
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:52 am

Programs: AC*50K, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thumbs up

^
Originally Posted by USAFAN

You can make it:
As soon as you exit customs, in front of you there will be an array of taxi stands (Manuel Tienda de Leon, etc..) who can offer you the transport of a Remis (taxi) for about $48 Pesos Argentine (aprox US$16) which you can pay with a credit card or in Pesos or in US$..

Though you can also go the stands next to theirs and probably pay US$2 less, but the difference is minimal.

Be careful they don't put on a bus that leaves every hour on the half.. (i.e. 11:30 and arrives @ 12:30).

And dont' take the services of any person offering you the service by word of mouth ... just go the counter in front of you.. it's located as soon as you exit and before you get to masses of people.. It's impossible to miss...

Enjoy Iguazu and be sure to stop by the Sheraton after a full day at the Argentine side of the falls for afternoon tea with fresh fruit (lots of it and it's about US$6 or US$7..)... well worth it as it's very assorted.. though it's only from 4 -6 p.m. (so don't arrive too late and be left with nothing..)... My g/f and I loved it as we were able to sit on their patio and enjoy the weather and the view of the falls ...

btw, yes.. it will be hot and humid!!
Btw2.. there is also a nature walk you can partake in (guided or alone) that takes you an hour into the tropical park area.. and if your knees are good. you can climb down at the very end of the path to the water level and suntan on the beach (but beware of mosquitoes!!)...

For the Brazilian side.. you can take a local bus that takes you accross in aproximately 1 hour (and it's FASTER because they are on a schedule and you don't really need to pay for a tour.. ask your hotel which bus to take as they come every hour if I remember correctly..

enjoy the falls and takes lots of film and a good pair of hiking shoes!! ^
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:19 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
Originally Posted by USAFAN
I guess Gaucho100K is on vacation ...

You can make it:

When your plane arrives at 10:25AM you are through customs and have your baggage at 11:30AM.
Taxi to AEP is 1 hour, so you arrive at about 12:30PM at AEP ... your plane goes at 14:05PM

When you go "a couple of days" to Iguazu, you should also go to the Brazilian side and also to Itipu.

Thansk for the feedback.... Looks like this will be doable then. ^

As to visiting the Brazilian side of the falls, how strict is border control in these parts...? In other words, would I need a Brazilian visa to cross the border? Do they even bother to check?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:12 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Arrzee
As to visiting the Brazilian side of the falls, how strict is border control in these parts...? In other words, would I need a Brazilian visa to cross the border? Do they even bother to check?
It depends on the border guy.. and how friendly he is.. the visa for US citizens is US$100 and I believe it's good for 5 years.. For Canadians it's about CD$72.. though the visa needs to be stamped within 90 days of its issue...

some people take a risk and get by .. (me.. but I speak Spanish and told him I was only going to the falls side and coming back the same day..which was true).. others get hassled at the border.. The mood can also depend how busy the border is with tourists, though the early morning local buses (I took the 9 a.m. one) tend to be kind of empty so it may be easier..

It all depends on the border guy and how friendly you both are to each other.. though DON'T offer $$..it's not worth the possible legal hassles.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:32 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Arrzee
Gaucho,

Do you have any suggestions for minimum ground transfer times between EZE and AEP?

My partner and I are heading to Buenos Aires 03/Julio for ~10 days. flying VARIG from JFK, connecting in GRU, and arriving EZE at 1025 (booked as a US Airways *Alliance C award so can't complain about the routing)...

We'd like to head up to Iguazu for a couple of days and, for convenience, are considering doing it first thing the Sunday we arrive. The best possible (and latest) flight departs AEP at 1405, or approximately 3-1/2 hours after our arrival in EZE. Do you think that's enough time to clear immigration at EZE, transfer to AEP and check-in for the "vuelo de cabotaje" (domestic flight)? My gut tells me this is too tight a connection, in which case we'll make the trip later during our stay. Any thoughts?

PD: Gracias por esta discusión... aún estamos planeando nuestro viaje a la Argentina y la información aquí nos está ayudando bastante... Por lo que veo, vamos a tener unas vacaciones estupendas.
Arrzzee-- Sorry for the delay but Ive been away from FT for a couple of days. You are fine with your transit time, you should be able to make it to AEP with no problems at all. I suggest you just take a care from EZE, perhaps Manuel Tienda Leon or another of the authorized car service companies (use the booths that are right there as you exit customs) and you will be fine.

Have a great trip and thank you for visiting Argentina!!!! ^
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sargento
In Canada they are also hard to find, though once I found one called Argento. don't try it!! It'll be a matter of time before the good wines make it up to this side of the hemisphere, but once they do, they will have a strong presence allowing us to savour them....
Ive also heard bad things about this stuff.... do you have details on the wine? Is it supposed to be from Mendoza?

Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:52 pm

Talking

no details.. tried at a friends house and it tasted awful.. Though a winery from San Rafael area ( I think) has a wine called Tango of Essence and I'm trying to negotiate a deal to represent them in the province..

Have you heard any feedback from it? I don't remember it from when I was there.. Though I do recall the Rutini's.. those I miss..
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sargento
no details.. tried at a friends house and it tasted awful.. Though a winery from San Rafael area ( I think) has a wine called Tango of Essence and I'm trying to negotiate a deal to represent them in the province..

Have you heard any feedback from it? I don't remember it from when I was there.. Though I do recall the Rutini's.. those I miss..
Sargento, are you in the wine business...???? If so, maybe we need to take this to PM.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:32 pm

help!!

someone help! advice needed!

i arrive at EZE at 3:00am in a week! stupid airline scheduleing so it was the only flight i could take. i don't know what to do. i'm a lone female traveller and i dont want to take a taxi and def not a bus into the city. can i stay in the airport till daylight? is it well staffed in the middle of the night?? any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:05 pm

Mendoza wine country B&B

For those planning to visit the Mendoza wine country, here are a few recommendations based on my last visit: For lodging I highly recommend Finca Adalgisa a small (I believe about 10 rooms) bed and breakfast located about 25 kilometers south of Mendoza in an area known as Chacras de Coria. The grounds include a vineyard and a fruit orchard and the rooms are very comfortable. The owner/manager Gabriela Furlotti is well connected and will gladly arrange visits to the nearby wineries which are closer than if staying in Mendoza proper. The rates as I recall are reasonable. If more info is needed please e-mail me.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Great thread, I will be in BA for 5 days - 19 -25 Aug - any one around for a drink and a bite.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alinlondon
Great thread, I will be in BA for 5 days - 19 -25 Aug - any one around for a drink and a bite.
I should be around..... unless Im skiing. Drop me a line closer to the dates and perhaps we can arrange.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I should be around..... unless Im skiing. Drop me a line closer to the dates and perhaps we can arrange.
Gaucho, I will do. ^
Old Jun 24, 2004, 8:06 pm

Another connection question (AEP-EZE)

Hi all,
I read the preceding message about a three and a half hour connection time from EZE-AEP and am now a bit worried about MY own connection. I get in to EZE at 9:15 a.m. on July 10th on UAL 847 and will have checked baggage and then have an Aerolineas flight 1452 from AEP-SLA (Salta) at 11:50 a.m. If I run through customs, grab my bags and quickly ask for a remise from Manuel Tienda Leon, do I have a chance of making my Salta flight? Should I reticket now or just take my chances? I'd hate to take that 23 hour bus ride from Bs As to Salta!

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas. I hate flying Aerolineas, but neither American Falcon nor Southern Winds had options for me on the 10th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.