Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 10:57 am

Cool

Great thread, Gaucho. Thanks! Very timely for me, as we just booked a cruise for February. I have two questions preliminarily...

1. We will arrive in EZE for a couple of days, then cruise 14 nights, ending in SCL for a couple of days. Will we NEED to learn Spanish? Will it be very helpful? Or is English widely spoken? We will do our best to learn as much as we can between now and then, but would appreciate an idea of how necessary it will be.

2. A family member is going on the cruise also and I have the next several months to find a reasonable airfare for them. The difficult part is it is high season (Feb) and triangle (LAX-EZE/SCL-LAX). Any thoughts on when bargain airfares pop up? Or any consolidators to consider? They do not collect FF miles....so price is the priority.

Thanks so much for any help
Old May 5, 2004, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
..... Will we NEED to learn Spanish? Will it be very helpful? Or is English widely spoken? We will do our best to learn as much as we can between now and then, but would appreciate an idea of how necessary it will be.
Knowing some does help. I make an effort to learn more than the previous trips, and carry a pocket dictionary. Enjoy Buenos Aires.
Old May 5, 2004, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by akhullar
Knowing some does help. I make an effort to learn more than the previous trips, and carry a pocket dictionary. Enjoy Buenos Aires.
I agree. A little Spanish helps. I have not found one taxi driver who could speak English. The personal in the hotels speak English ..
You will like Buenos Aires .. the people are very nice.
Don't miss the opera. http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/inicio.htm
Old May 7, 2004, 10:33 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
You dont have to learn Spanish.... although this would certainly help. For taxi drivers, just make sure you have the address written down and you will be fine. Also, take your taxis from taxi stands and hotels, or else call a radio taxi.

As for airfare deals, I suggest you try to look for some of the local carriers like AR (Aerolineas Argentinas), or Southern Winds. You may have to first get to a US Gateway for these airlines, though, some safe bets are: MIA, JFK and ORD. I think LAX is also served by AR.

Have a great trip!!!!
Old May 8, 2004, 11:04 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Top sights?

Gaucho,

As some of the travel books do, would you care to share your top suggestions of sights to see in the city?
Old May 8, 2004, 4:57 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
I am going to BA in late November, staying at the Alvear Palace

How about suggestions of a tango house with great food? Is the Esquina Carlos Gardel the best or should I go to one not so frequented by tourists? Which one?

Also, where can I find performance schedules for the Theatro Colon in November and December?

Lastly, do you have any very favourite art galleries I might visit?

Gracias!
Old May 8, 2004, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dedehans
I am going to BA in late November, staying at the Alvear Palace

How about suggestions of a tango house with great food? Is the Esquina Carlos Gardel the best or should I go to one not so frequented by tourists? Which one?

Also, where can I find performance schedules for the Theatro Colon in November and December?

Lastly, do you have any very favourite art galleries I might visit?

Gracias!
Galleries:

The Malba Museum (Constantini Collection)
Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
Museo de Arte Decorativo
Centro Cultural Recoleta
Palais de Glace

Im not good with Tango house recommendations, I will have to referr you to your concierge. Also, I would say go to Tango houses for the Tango.... and then go eat elsewhere.
Old May 9, 2004, 6:26 am
Original Poster

program for Nov/Dec 2004

Please see this link for the Teatro Color program for 2004:

http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/progra...porada2004.htm

Unfortunately, I dont think this is available in English.... my apologies for that (its inexcusable that the site is not available in 4-5 languages). I will drop a line to the President of the Colon Theater Foundation.
Old May 9, 2004, 6:29 am
Original Poster

dedehans-- it just struck me that Ive listed galleries as in places to see paintings from some of the premiere public and private collections in the coutry... but, are you looking to purchase art? if so... then let me know, and I will have to think of some more information for you.
Old May 9, 2004, 7:27 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
dedehans-- it just struck me that Ive listed galleries as in places to see paintings from some of the premiere public and private collections in the coutry... but, are you looking to purchase art? if so... then let me know, and I will have to think of some more information for you.
Yes, I am looking to purchase art, Gaucho 100k...
You are muy simpatico, gracias!
dedehans
Old May 9, 2004, 8:15 am
Original Poster

OK, understood. Depending on what sort of art you are after, you have two very different sources. If you want traditional "continental European" style artwork, then you are best to stroll into some of the Antique shops on Alvear. Things are not cheap, but real art rarely is. These places are reputable and you will be in good hands.

If you are looking for somethign more contemporary, I suggest you explore the barrios (areas) of Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood. La Boca is another area where there are a couple of interesting galleries where some nice things can be found.

Hope this helps.
Old May 9, 2004, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
OK, understood. Depending on what sort of art you are after, you have two very different sources. If you want traditional "continental European" style artwork, then you are best to stroll into some of the Antique shops on Alvear. Things are not cheap, but real art rarely is. These places are reputable and you will be in good hands.

If you are looking for somethign more contemporary, I suggest you explore the barrios (areas) of Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood. La Boca is another area where there are a couple of interesting galleries where some nice things can be found.

Hope this helps.
You are very helpful and I shall check back to this thread periodically to pick up more bits of Gaucho wisdom over the next few months....thank you so much!
I did prowl the Teatro Colon site and got what I needed (I hope) with my limited Spanish....I should be fluent as I live in Florida, si?
Old May 11, 2004, 9:06 pm

Gaucho, have you heard of this hotel? I can't find a review. Is it in a good area to stay 2-3 nights? Thanks!

Buenos Aires Wilton Hotel
Callao Avda. 1162
Buenos Aires, 1023

Looks decent. Very reasonable rates (which is important when you are booking 3 rooms, 3 nites!)
Old May 11, 2004, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Milady in NCal-- yes, Ive heard of this hotel, and the comments have been quite OK. However, I have never visited the place and therefore cannot vouch for the reviews. Sorry I cant be of more help, let me see if I can dig up some reviews.
Old May 12, 2004, 10:43 am

Would this area be a good location for tourists? Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.