Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Destinations

Americas

Argentina

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Old Jun 7, 22, 2:43 am
  #3721  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Posts: 15,716
Originally Posted by Dski337 View Post
Hi, does anyone have experience with the Sky Priority lanes at EZE in 2022? Am wondering if they save much time for international departures, or are they at least provide a more consistent time for check in, security & immigration? Flying into AEP at 5:10pm on a Tuesday evening in Dec and trying to decide if 3h 45m connection/transfer to EZE with Sky Priority is worth the risk compared to a 4h 30m connection without. Thanks!
Transfer times between the two airports are likely longer than "normal", but unpredictable. The arrival time of your flighr into AEP is more predictable, but still subject to delay.

Do yourself a favour and go with the longest interval you are comfortable with between flights. It's better to risk having to kick your heels for an extra 45 minutes in EZE (and curse me for the advice ) than miss your flight: replacement tickets can be pricey.
Dski337 likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jun 7, 22, 1:08 pm
  #3722  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 670
Traffic times in Buenos Aires are impossible to predict. One hour and a bit would be normal but you will hit some rush hour traffic at one point.

The only good thing is that there will be no union pickets at that time of day.

Forget any benefits at security and migration. It's one line for all!
Dski337 likes this.
malagajohn is offline  
Old Jun 7, 22, 1:58 pm
  #3723  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,887
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post

Forget any benefits at security and migration. It's one line for all!
Unless you can use the Crew and Cripples line...
malagajohn likes this.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jun 7, 22, 5:31 pm
  #3724  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
Thanks everyone for the input, the Aerolineas website mentions priority immigration lines at some airports for sky priority, but sounds like that's not a thing at EZE. Will take the longer transfer just to be safe with traffic.
Dski337 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 2:46 pm
  #3725  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Programs: WOH Glob
Posts: 42
We added the cabify app but it won't let us choose a cash pay option. Any workarounds??
Already booked TaxiEzezia for getting from airport to hotel prior to exchanging our dollars, thanks for the tip!
TIVAgal is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 3:07 pm
  #3726  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,887
Originally Posted by TIVAgal View Post
We added the cabify app but it won't let us choose a cash pay option. Any workarounds??
Already booked TaxiEzezia for getting from airport to hotel prior to exchanging our dollars, thanks for the tip!
Have you actually tried to book a ride? At that time, it should allow you a cash pay option. If it doesn't, perhaps uninstall and re-install after entering La Argentina.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 4:36 pm
  #3727  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Programs: WOH Glob
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Have you actually tried to book a ride? At that time, it should allow you a cash pay option. If it doesn't, perhaps uninstall and re-install after entering La Argentina.
Thank you! We ended up using cabify from airport with plans to pay via credit card until we are able to change some money. Our driver was very patient in finding us and getting us through traffic (there were demonstrations) and we planned to leave a significant tip but app only gave options for three very small amounts, no option to create your own amount. We felt very sorry bc we had intended to tip generously. FYI to others with similar inclination.
Arrived to Park Hyatt in one piece, received the park suite i requested with my upgrade (beautiful view over courtyard and palace) now just need to find a place to change our USD into ARS, would love ideas on how/where to do so safely.
TIVAgal is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 4:42 pm
  #3728  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,647
Originally Posted by TIVAgal View Post
Thank you! We ended up using cabify from airport with plans to pay via credit card until we are able to change some money. Our driver was very patient in finding us and getting us through traffic (there were demonstrations) and we planned to leave a significant tip but app only gave options for three very small amounts, no option to create your own amount. We felt very sorry bc we had intended to tip generously. FYI to others with similar inclination.
Arrived to Park Hyatt in one piece, received the park suite i requested with my upgrade (beautiful view over courtyard and palace) now just need to find a place to change our USD into ARS, would love ideas on how/where to do so safely.
At todays rate you should receive 212 ARS to each USD. Unfortunately I dont know of a spot in your area..

Use this link, look under informal and look under compra for the daily rate

https://www.ambito.com/contenidos/dolar.html
TIVAgal likes this.
Flying Machine is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 7:14 pm
  #3729  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Programs: WOH Glob
Posts: 42
Another BA question, I hadn't anticipating having to ask: how/where do I get rapid covid tests (self-administered antigen tests) in BA? My hubs felt kinda crummy on the redeye last night and I would like to get a test for him. We did have a distant contact who was positive about 5 days before we left but very low risk exposure and so without symptoms in either of us prior to departure we proceeded and felt ok about it. I went to a pharmacy to ask (farmacity in recoleta) and there was a poster the pharmacist referred me to that said (I think, in my very limited spanish) that in order to purchase you need to register so as to keep track of any positive tests that may come back. Did I get that right? I am basically using my french language skills to translate so I could be WAY off. I was hoping to purchase a dozen tests so we could test daily as we have just traveled halfway around (or down) the world and were exposed to everything along the way. With plans for private car tours etc I feel we should be testing to be responsible and respectful.
TIVAgal is offline  
Old Jun 17, 22, 3:29 am
  #3730  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 695
Originally Posted by TIVAgal View Post
Another BA question, I hadn't anticipating having to ask: how/where do I get rapid covid tests (self-administered antigen tests) in BA? My hubs felt kinda crummy on the redeye last night and I would like to get a test for him. We did have a distant contact who was positive about 5 days before we left but very low risk exposure and so without symptoms in either of us prior to departure we proceeded and felt ok about it. I went to a pharmacy to ask (farmacity in recoleta) and there was a poster the pharmacist referred me to that said (I think, in my very limited spanish) that in order to purchase you need to register so as to keep track of any positive tests that may come back. Did I get that right? I am basically using my french language skills to translate so I could be WAY off. I was hoping to purchase a dozen tests so we could test daily as we have just traveled halfway around (or down) the world and were exposed to everything along the way. With plans for private car tours etc I feel we should be testing to be responsible and respectful.
Argentina has been bad with self-administered antigen tests due to some silly government regulation which requires any results to be uploaded to the national testing database, to which only labs and hospitals have access. When I was there in the Argentinian summer, there were talks about authorising home tests (2 years into the pandemic!) and I understand that some pharmacies have started selling them since, although at a price much higher than in Europe (I remember reading something about 2500 ARS per test -- 5x the price in Paris).

In January/February I took some rapid tests at Centralab on Santa Fe 1154 - no particular preference, I was just staying nearby. I can't remember the price but it seemed fair, and they emailed the results within one hour.
TIVAgal likes this.
Marambio is offline  
Old Jun 17, 22, 8:33 pm
  #3731  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,396
Originally Posted by TIVAgal View Post
Thank you! We ended up using cabify from airport with plans to pay via credit card until we are able to change some money. Our driver was very patient in finding us and getting us through traffic (there were demonstrations) and we planned to leave a significant tip but app only gave options for three very small amounts, no option to create your own amount. We felt very sorry bc we had intended to tip generously. FYI to others with similar inclination.
Arrived to Park Hyatt in one piece, received the park suite i requested with my upgrade (beautiful view over courtyard and palace) now just need to find a place to change our USD into ARS, would love ideas on how/where to do so safely.
Not sure of the hours, but theres a place just down the street from the Park Hyatt called Cambio Posadas (or Posadas Cambio) - its opposite Fervor and El Sanjuanino. Very clean, tidy. If you are a foreigner, they may ask for a passport to verify but will give you a good rate. I think I was given around 209 per USD the other day.
Flying Machine and TIVAgal like this.
OskiBear is offline  
Old Jun 18, 22, 4:19 pm
  #3732  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Programs: WOH Glob
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
Not sure of the hours, but theres a place just down the street from the Park Hyatt called Cambio Posadas (or Posadas Cambio) - its opposite Fervor and El Sanjuanino. Very clean, tidy. If you are a foreigner, they may ask for a passport to verify but will give you a good rate. I think I was given around 209 per USD the other day.
Found that place, it's closed until Tuesday (extra long weekend right now) but we will def head there! I changed at 1USD to 200 ARS which is not the best but it was safe and easy, we still have lots of cash to change so will do so there and report back.
TIVAgal is offline  
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:32 pm
  #3733  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Programs: WOH Glob
Posts: 42
Back to US now with a brief trip report: we stayed 5 days at PHBA on the tower side (used a suite upgrade for park suite) and two on the palace side. Beautiful room on the ninth floor with great views of palace and courtyard. Had planned to go to Salta and Iguazu falls for a few nights but then changed plans to stay in BA the entire 9 nights. After our first five nights, moved to Palermo to stay at Miravida Soho hotel and wine bar. It was no Park Hyatt but it was clean and friendly and we had a good room with a terrace. That neighborhood was GREAT for restos and just walking around-had some of our best meals there. Then back to Park Hyatt for final two nights and I requested to be on palace side--with globalist upgrade they put us in a palace king suite and it was LOVELY. Huge windows opened out over the courtyard, soaker tub, beautiful big room (though not a true suite, just a big room with living area). The housekeeping came and did a really nice job every morning while we were at breakfast, and evening turndown service included re-making the bed, closing the black-out shades and curtains, putting towels out on the bathroom floor in front of our sinks, slippers at the ready bedside and setting up tea service. The lobby and breakfast staff were very friendly, we got to know several of them by name...when we got back from our couple of nights in Palermo they said "Welcome home!" which was sweet.
Tours: we did a 4 hour private car tour around BA, that was great way to get to know city at the start. Also did two bike tours with Biker Street (one focused on northern part of city, other on southern parts). Finally, a walking tour in Recoleta Cemetery. All great tours and would suggest. Not sure I would suggest the tango show (I thought the street dancers were just as good if not better), we went to Cafe de los Angelitos, arrived after having dinner.
Restos: Fervor (steakhouse) was pretty traditional and very good. All the restos in the Park Hyatt were quite good, the vegan one off the lobby on the tower side was impressive, and had fabulous gin-based cocktails. Had beers a couple times at Buller up by the cemetery, it was good beer. We enjoyed choripan at Neustra Parilla in san telmo mercado. Another lunch we had blood sausage and milanesa at El Preferido de Palermo, sat at the bar and enjoyed watching the team work. Traditional steakhouse meal at El Mirasol de La Recova (good steak, nothing exciting). The very best meals we had were Las Pizarras Bistro, Picaron, Gran Dabbang, Julia's (got in off the waitlist!), Chila and Roux. I think we agreed that our favorite was Julia (tasting menu) and the most interesting was Gran Dabbang. The Posadas Cambio was super convenient, a block from PH, and when we ran out of USD we did the Western Union transfer (though had to wait in line almost an hour to do so). We used both cabify and regular city taxis without issue. I felt totally safe walking all over on my own, but I'm not flashy so don't call much attention. Happy to try to answer any questions. We're trying to figure out when we can go back!
TIVAgal is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:29 am
  #3734  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 158
Wow, thanks for the valuable trip report! Our trip was cancelled March 2020 (we got as far as Uruguay, but the ferries shut down and in hindsight it seems it would have been a very rough stay in BA), and we've been dreaming of visiting BA for a while now. We'll definitely return to this post when we do!
jnagar is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:00 am
  #3735  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,647
Thanks for the nice trip report TIVAgal

El Preferido de Palermo, and Roux are favorites of mine. Way different contrasts of dining but both are very enjoyable. Thanks for the tip regarding Julia.. Villa Crespo keeps on turning out great restos. Years ago you would have never thought. I have a line on a sushi place to go thats supposed to be fantastic its cash only you call the guy on his mobile number (A woman friend in the Wine Industry suggested it) its no Nobu but I hear is very good

Happy to hear the rest of your trip turned out well and you didnt have any additional Covid symptoms.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 27, 22 at 10:09 am
Flying Machine is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread