Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by ebayj
Such a detailed and helpful thread. I am planning to visit EZE/BA over US Thanksgiving this autumn and am very intrigued to experience this fascinating part of the world.
Remember that US autumn is spring time here...
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Silver
WESTERN UNION v XOOM. Headed to BA in 2 weeks. We extended our stay in Rio and flying from GIG to EZE so I am not coming directly from USA and brining lots of USD$ so I need another way to get a decent exchange to pesos. Reading here and elsewhere WU and xoom are two options to send myself money. Does anyone have recent experience with these options...ease of use, fees, exchange rate, convenient locations to pick up the pesos, etc. Thank you.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:10 am

Western Union probably pays higher rates than Zoom. But you have to check what fees you pay on each transfer.

Fees differ depending on which country you send the cash from and the method you send it. There are also codes to get reduced fees if you search for them via Google.

I use WU from the UK .

Look at Remitly and Azimo as well.
Gaucho100K and detony like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Agreed 100%. Taxis are very inexpensive.... perpaps the only current downside is that more than 50% of all licensed cabs have stopped operating, so there is currently a shortage of Taxis on the streets. During peak hours, the wait for a Taxi can be an inconvenience. Cabify is probable the best App for Buenos Aires at this time, I would forget Uber.
What's the credit card situation as far as paying for taxis goes?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
What's the credit card situation as far as paying for taxis goes?
Most of the cabs have a credit card facility, but you may have to download the app

Here is a link to the Premium Taxi , which explains things

https://taxipremium.zendesk.com/hc/e...s-con-Tarjeta-
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:07 am

Paying anything by international c/c is not very efficient.

The official dollar is just over 100 and the grey market dollar is just over 200.

Paying in pesos is a big saving.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If anyone is considering a trip soon and airfare is decent, I'd suggest making the trip sooner rather than later. At $200 to US$1, it is currently unsustainably inexpensive. A trip to/from EZE is about (all prices in USD unless otherwise stated) is under $20. A Subte ride is an expensive 15˘ when compared to a bus ride halfway across town for 10˘. I was drinking some very nice wine by the glass at a very nice place for lunch today that was about $2.50 a glass. Sorry, no dead cow house pricing yet - it has all been home cooking or take out so far ... speaking of which, the nice salads I brought home this evening were about $3 each. Some of the chain take away empanada and medialuna spots have the empanadas for about 30˘ and the medialunas for 15˘. The place where I got the salads (and they make decent empanadas - but I'm eating homemade ones right now) were an outrageous 80-something cents a piece!

Note that if you're restaurant shopping, you may find either inaccurate or more likely, no pricing on menus, unless it is someplace offering current online ordering.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malagajohn

The official dollar is just over 100 and the grey market dollar is just over 200.
It is blue, not gray, my dear
asnovici likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last major inauguration prior to the elections will be the new terminal at Ezeiza . i was sceptical they could finish it on time but apparently it will be opene and operational in August.
I was just scrolling up in this thread and wonder if you'd like to update this post.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is blue, not gray, my dear
I will continue to call it grey market when I communicate in English so that my readers can understand me...If I say Blue Market , not everyone understands.

When I speak in Spanish, I will say "dolar azul " as most are aware of the local market situation.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:31 am

I was just scrolling up in this thread and wonder if you'd like to update this post.

Just prior to the last elections, the government was putting pressure on the building contractors to finish the new terminal so that Macri and his entourage could open the new terminal prior to the elections - the plan was for an August September media jamboree.

However, the plans were canceled following an industrial accident.

https://www.pagina12.com.ar/220503-a...idos-en-ezeiza

A presidential visit was made prior to leaving office in December 2019

https://www.casarosada.gob.ar/inform...onal-de-ezeiza

https://eleconomista.com.ar/politica...-ezeiza-n30129

No one is really sure what the plans are - the terminal is completed but currently unused.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Just prior to the last elections, the government was putting pressure on the building contractors to finish the new terminal so that Macri and his entourage could open the new terminal prior to the elections - the plan was for an August September media jamboree.

However, the plans were canceled following an industrial accident.

https://www.pagina12.com.ar/220503-a...idos-en-ezeiza

A presidential visit was made prior to leaving office in December 2019

https://www.casarosada.gob.ar/inform...onal-de-ezeiza

https://eleconomista.com.ar/politica...-ezeiza-n30129

No one is really sure what the plans are - the terminal is completed but currently unused.
Thanks for the detailed update malagajohn ! I remember that unfortunate accident, however I haven’t been in Argentina due to the pandemic since March 2020, So I was unaware that the terminal has not opened. It looked like they were building some nice infrastructure there, hopefully airlines and passengers will be able to use it soon…
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:18 am

Here too!

If anyone is considering a trip soon and airfare is decent, I'd suggest making the trip sooner rather than later. At $200 to US$1, it is currently unsustainably inexpensive. A trip to/from EZE is about (all prices in USD unless otherwise stated) is under $20. A Subte ride is an expensive 15˘ when compared to a bus ride halfway across town for 10˘. I was drinking some very nice wine by the glass at a very nice place for lunch today that was about $2.50 a glass. Sorry, no dead cow house pricing yet - it has all been home cooking or take out so far ... speaking of which, the nice salads I brought home this evening were about $3 each. Some of the chain take away empanada and medialuna spots have the empanadas for about 30˘ and the medialunas for 15˘. The place where I got the salads (and they make decent empanadas - but I'm eating homemade ones right now) were an outrageous 80-something cents a piece!

Note that if you're restaurant shopping, you may find either inaccurate or more likely, no pricing on menus, unless it is someplace offering current online ordering.
Not sure where you are, we too, are in BA currently. Moving to another apartment at the end of the month, for another 2 months. This is our 1st stop since going full nomad, and am wondering how much cheaper Southeast Asia/Thailand really is? Full body massage here. $9.00. Golf greens fees yesterday $6.00
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will continue to call it grey market when I communicate in English so that my readers can understand me...If I say Blue Market , not everyone understands.

When I speak in Spanish, I will say "dolar azul " as most are aware of the local market situation.
That is interesting, because in the USA most would call it the Black Market.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Thanks for the detailed update malagajohn ! I remember that unfortunate accident, however I haven’t been in Argentina due to the pandemic since March 2020, So I was unaware that the terminal has not opened. It looked like they were building some nice infrastructure there, hopefully airlines and passengers will be able to use it soon…
I did not know quite what to expect when I arrived here on Friday re: the arrivals situation. One still exits the building at the same old door. Fortunately, the messy roadway construction appears to be complete. This is my first visit since January 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.