Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:00 am

Posted incorrectly
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some quick observations from my quick visit this month:

The EZE airport is a mess. Huge hour long wait to get through Immigration off the redeyes. Then a 20 minute wait to buy a taxi ticket from Taxi Ezeiza. What a PITA.

Whatever you think of the Kirchners (and I don't think much of them myself), the Kirchner Center is great. Go on the website a week before your visit and reserve your free tickets to performances on the designated release date. We've seen tango music there and, this time, the symphony orchestra. All for free.

Taxis seem more expensive. The subway is dirt cheap (40 cents a ride). Consider this in your accommodations choice.

Prices is general are about 20% cheaper than the USA. It feels that things should cost less, though, because the town feels a bit shabby. Like Rome, but 25% shabbier. I'll probably wait for the next devaluation before visiting. $20 steaks are now good, but not amazing.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by iahphx
The EZE airport is a mess. Huge hour long wait to get through Immigration off the redeyes. Then a 20 minute wait to buy a taxi ticket from Taxi Ezeiza. What a PITA.
Many thanks for your overall review of BA. Question about the Taxi Ezeiza: Did you try to book them online before your arrival? How about Tienda Leon--was their line long too?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 747FC
Many thanks for your overall review of BA. Question about the Taxi Ezeiza: Did you try to book them online before your arrival? How about Tienda Leon--was their line long too?
I arrive EZE about 4 times a year (at various times of the day) and have never seen much if any line for any of the taxi services, at least not at the first opportunity you have to get a car. (This is after the customs X-ray machines, you then pass through a door. Get your car here before going out to the main arrivals hall, where everyone is trying to meet their loved/liked/unloved ones. I'd never pre-book a car for an EZE arrival.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd never pre-book a car for an EZE arrival.
Thanks for the tip. Why do you not pre-book?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tip. Why do you not pre-book?
(1) I now have a regular driver I use; but,
(2) even before that, I never had to wait, and I still never see any line. In fact, they all appear eager for your business.
747FC likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prebooked Taxi Ezeiza to take me TO the airport, but I didn't even realize you can prebook for your arrival. Not sure how it would work, because their desk had a line in front of it. I think I did see some names posted at their kiosk, though. Maybe you cut the line, somehow?

BTW, they offered me about a 10% discount paying in pesos instead of by credit card (I think I paid 780 pesos to Recoleta). Fortunately, my wife waited on the 10 minute ATM line (behind the Taxi Ezeiza) desk, while I waited on the taxi ticketing line! As I said, a real mess for morning arrivals. I can only imagine what would happen for peak arrival days, like the Holidays.
747FC likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
The EZE airport is a mess. Huge hour long wait to get through Immigration off the redeyes. Then a 20 minute wait to buy a taxi ticket from Taxi Ezeiza. What a PITA..
In which flight did you arrive? I landed today at EZE at 8:30 am and, much to my surprise, both immigration and customs were seamless. Including waiting for luggage at the belt, I was outside the airport in less than 45 minutes.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marambio
In which flight did you arrive? I landed today at EZE at 8:30 am and, much to my surprise, both immigration and customs were seamless. Including waiting for luggage at the belt, I was outside the airport in less than 45 minutes.
I think that's the secret: there are a lot of morning widebody arrivals. Your flight needs to beat the others. My flight landed about 9:30 from MIA. It takes a long time to process each arriving passenger (photo and everything). If you're the 500th pax, you're going to wait an hour. Or more.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
ATM Withdrawal Increase

Argentine banks raised the ATM fee on cash from foreign accounts by 67% to USD $10, highest I've seen in any country. Could anger tourists.

and the withdrawal limit increased from approximately 2300 pesos to 3300 pesos

that's a quote from Taos Turner Wall Street Journal

Last edited by Flying Machine; Dec 1, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Argentine banks raised the ATM fee on cash from foreign accounts by 67% to USD $10, highest I've seen in any country. Could anger tourists.

and the withdrawal limit increased from approximately 2300 pesos to 3300 pesos

that's a quote from Taos Turner Wall Street Journal
These South American ATM fees are a PITA. I just had an experience in Brazil where I had to pay about US$8 -- and then a 3% service fee!

changing money at the GIG airport

For my last trip to South America, I actually got a Schwab ATM card to deal with this -- especially Argentina's low ATM withdrawal limit (which is now a little I higher, I guess). For years, I just used my USAA ATM card, which refunds ATM fees, but has a relatively low monthly reimbursement cap -- which becomes problematic if fees skyrocket and low limits require multiple transactions (and therefore multiple fees). Schwab seems to have no reimbursement caps at all.

Over time, of course, all this will go the way of the dodo bird because most everyone -- including me -- prefers cashless. But South America is definitely not close to being cash free, so I think I'll have to deal with this annoyance for many years to come.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:51 pm

Fidelity ATM/Debut card is another option.

BTW, is DCC a big problem in BA?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Fidelity ATM/Debut card is another option.

BTW, is DCC a big problem in BA?
I haven't run into any issues by seeing DCC on any of my transactions in Argentina. In fact I've never seen it offered. My bank waves all ATM fees so I'm not that concerned nor does it have a monthly limit. To circumvent the issues just use the fee free card.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Any problems getting a taxi upon arrival at EZE on New Year's Day? I'm worried that services at the airport (and in the city) will be harder to find...
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silly_stitcher
Any problems getting a taxi upon arrival at EZE on New Year's Day? I'm worried that services at the airport (and in the city) will be harder to find...
I do not think you will have any issue with an EZE arrival if you just pay for your taxi indoors at one of the booths.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.