Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Viator is selling private transfer EZE to BUE hotels for US$32.99. I have used Viator before at other destinations, not sure about Argentina. It just sounds too good to be true as Expedia is selling private transfer from EZE to BUE hotels for US$72 each way.
This sounded really good to me, too! But clicking through I see that that is per-person pricing for 2 people, so essentially it is $66 each way.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:47 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
If you are looking to spend US$60ish for transfers to EZE, you need to consider Silver Star Car.... Fred runds the best high-end car service in town....
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Does anyone know if SUBE cards (electronic stored value cards used for riding colectivos and buying subte tickets) are available to non-residents?

The concierges at the Sheraton and Park Tower both say no, but friends in BsAs said, I should be able to get one. I found the site that will show me the nearest locations to sell me one, but before I trudge off tomorrow and try to get one in my comical spanish, I figured I would check here.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by VPescado
Does anyone know if SUBE cards (electronic stored value cards used for riding colectivos and buying subte tickets) are available to non-residents?

The concierges at the Sheraton and Park Tower both say no, but friends in BsAs said, I should be able to get one. I found the site that will show me the nearest locations to sell me one, but before I trudge off tomorrow and try to get one in my comical spanish, I figured I would check here.
Yes, but you might have difficulties:
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/16015-monedero-sube.html
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Yes... you can buy one, but as pointed out above, the system is still light years from being perfect.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Yes... you can buy one, but as pointed out above, the system is still light years from being perfect.
And sometimes, no one is manning the gates and there is no one to collect the fare and the gate will be open. When this occurs, it isn't fare skipping. Happened twice on my last trip. There was no way to pay a cash fare.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And sometimes, no one is manning the gates and there is no one to collect the fare and the gate will be open. When this occurs, it isn't fare skipping. Happened twice on my last trip. There was no way to pay a cash fare.
Oh.... you Schwartz-fahrer !!!!!!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Omni Platinum, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Colorado King
Hey Gaucho100K --

First, you're outstanding .. seriously, I spent the build of my EZE research reading these posts, and I thank you sincerely for all the helpful information. Just finished part I of the EZE visit -- I head to Mendoza tomorrow for some wine overload before coming back for two days prior to the return flight.

I have two questions for you, only one of which is actually an actionable item:

1. In Mendoza, are there things I should absolutely do/eat while in the city? I'm doing a couple wine tours as well (with Trout and Wine) but I have evenings and one afternoon free. I'd love any suggestions you have.

2. I tried like mad to get award travel with One World like a couple months back ... no love ... so I had to pay through the nose to get a direct from AEP to MDZ ... what's the trick that I missed in doing an award ticket from here? LAN claimed to have NOTHING the entire time -- even two months out!

One more thing ... any thoughts about the best car transfer options from AEP and then later to EZE?

Thanks in advance ... and I'm hoping to swing by Thelonious on my Part II time in BA ... staying in Puerto Madero, which should offer something different from Recoleta (which I liked, but have done about everything in ...).

CO King...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Best option for luxury car transfer is Silver Star Car. For more budget oriented transfers, any of the official car services available at EZE will be fine, including the traditional Manuel Tienda Leon.

For Mendoza, one of my favorite restaurants is Malmann 1884..... I suggest you not miss out on having dinner there. For a must visit winery, I suggest Benegas.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Omni Platinum, DL Gold
Outsanding ... I did Benegas yesterday, which I enjoyed (though I didn't get a poncho!). It was a marvelous tour, and Anna the tour guide was easy on the eye as well. :-)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colorado King
Outsanding ... I did Benegas yesterday, which I enjoyed (though I didn't get a poncho!). It was a marvelous tour, and Anna the tour guide was easy on the eye as well. :-)
Ah... you liked the Ponchos... well, Federico Benegas is one of the most respected collectors of antique Ponchos in the world. His collection is very impressive, and some of his best pieces have toured the world. Some of the best pieces of those things can be more expensive than a McLaren F1 Super-Car, so make sure you have enough monetas ready if you want to make Federico an offer for one next time you visit....
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Tipping a remise driver

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Current Airport Transfer prices:

Manuel Tienda Leon (the apparent "gold standard" remise service available @ EZE w/o pre-reservation) is now $215 according to their website.

World Car (and the others) are approximately $160.

Not worth the difference. I haven't had a lemon of any sort from the others in ages (and never have had any sort of disastermobile).

Peso prices on these services have gone up approx. 225 to 250% in a 4 year period. The US$ is up about 35% during the same period. Just don't be surprised, and don't let that keep you away. A taxi ride of similar length in other major world cities would cost a fair amount more (approx. 35 kms). The cost from SCL to Santiago costs about the same price, and is only a 15 to 20 minute ride.
Is it customary to tip a remise driver (i.e. Taxi Ezeiza or MTL) if you pre-pay at the booth? If so what is expected?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Is it customary to tip a remise driver (i.e. Taxi Ezeiza or MTL) if you pre-pay at the booth? If so what is expected?
Certainly... your pre payment at the booth does nothing for the driver that takes you into town. There are really no set or fixed rules, but I would suggest that a tip of AR$10 to AR$20 would be in order if he provides good service and is helpful with bags, etc.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:01 am

Tipping

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Certainly... your pre payment at the booth does nothing for the driver that takes you into town. There are really no set or fixed rules, but I would suggest that a tip of AR$10 to AR$20 would be in order if he provides good service and is helpful with bags, etc.
To me and my past experiences, AR$10 is customary, with AR$15 max. Taxi drivers don't get big tips from locals.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by alexkelly55
Hey,

I'm a college student looking to live down in Buenos Aires this upcoming summer. I would like to take Spanish lessons (and maybe tango lessons). I've been looking for places to live but I'm having some trouble deciding. I've been using http://www.bytargentina.com is this a reputable site? Has anyone used this before? I would like a place in or near San Telmo, Moneserrat, or city centre.

My main concern is that I will book something that looks nice online and it will turn out to be near a noisy bar or something. Has anyone stayed at a temporary apartment in any of these locations that they would recommend? I'm looking to spend less than $850 per month.

Also I'm looking to take Spanish lessons from El Pasaje Spanish school in Buenos Aires for $1010 a month for 20hr a week individual lessons. Is this a good deal or does anyone know any other good places?

-We used Byt with mixed results this past Jan.-March. Don't even try to negotiate with them as they will consistantly say the owner stands firm on price. You will have to sign a contract that gives away your legal rights to seek redress with the city agency handling owner/tenant problems and complaints. Personally, I would NEVER use them again.
-With inflation running at 25 to 30% a year, your US$800 isn't going to get you much. As for your satisfaction with the apartment, a lot depends upon the owner. Deposits are often not refunded or only partially refunded based on supposed "damages". Again, that's between you and the owner, byt will NOT be of any assistance as they only act as agent and the work for the benefit of the owner.
-A few suggestions when renting: For security, 3rd floor or higher. Always ask if there is ANY construction within a 2 block area as that can be quite noisy from 7:00 AM on, 6 days a week. Be fairly close to the subte(subway), markets, Bank ATM's, etc. ALWAYS, watch for pickpockets especially in crowds.
-All that being said, Bs.AS. is a great city with much to see and do! Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.