Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I believe that Chila is the same folks as Le Grill. I've been curious to try it. Thanks for the report. As for Aramburu, on my sample size of 1 visit, it was perfectly ok, with service being a very polite amateur hour. We really liked Aramburu Bis, but I think that has shuttered and not relocated.
Yes, Chila and Le Grill share ownership.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The talk of the town this week is yesterday's grand opening of the Trade Skybar on the last three floors of Edificio Comega, at the corner of Corrientes and Leandro N. Alem. The place includes an Argentine restaurant on floor 18, a Japanese restaurant on floor 19 and a rooftop bar on floor 20, with some pretty amazing views over downtown BA and Puerto Madero. The Comega Building is one of the city's rationalist treasures, and all floors are set on art-déco style.

I still haven't checked out the place myself and, as per its website, both the Argentine and Japanese restaurants are fully booked for the next few weeks (their system only allows bookings for the next 3 weeks). The rooftop bar works on a first-come, first-serve basis. Provided weather remains reasonable (we've had a very soft fall so far), I may pop in next weekend. The man behind the whole thing is Dante Liporace, one of the most important young(ish) chefs in Argentina, so I expect the restaurants to be very expensive for local standards, while the bar to be quite upscale as well.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Some more info here

https://www.iprofesional.com/negocio...r-gastronomico
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:06 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my partner does not drink alcohol anymore and used to be a big fan of malbec. Are there any local wines being made with the alcohol removed? Or perhaps non-alcholic beers? It seems to be more of a common thing in Western Europe and to a lesser extent the US, but I haven't found much info for Argentina.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
You may be able to get non-alcohol beer at some bars of the 5 star Hotels, but it will be tough to get this at most "normal" restaurants & bars.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by nxlinc
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my partner does not drink alcohol anymore and used to be a big fan of malbec. Are there any local wines being made with the alcohol removed? Or perhaps non-alcholic beers? It seems to be more of a common thing in Western Europe and to a lesser extent the US, but I haven't found much info for Argentina.
Non-alcoholic beers can be bought at the supermarket (Quilmes Lieber is Quilmes’ 0% beer), but other than at the bars of the Alvear hotels I have never seen it offered at bars or restaurants. Non-alcoholic wine I have never seen here.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:30 pm

Thanks for the replies, I figured it was a long shot, especially the wine considering how few are even available in the US.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio

Non-alcoholic beers can be bought at the supermarket (Quilmes Lieber is Quilmes’ 0% beer), but other than at the bars of the Alvear hotels I have never seen it offered at bars or restaurants. Non-alcoholic wine I have never seen here.
Thanks for this. We were able to find the quilmes easily at supermarkets and the giant carrefour Alcorta had Clausthaler as well which is a German made one that my partner likes from the US.
Marambio likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:19 pm

A few days ago Madame got a call from a friend saying she had a booking for dinner at a place called Nicky Harrison and she couldn’t attend, so maybe we could go instead. We had never heard of the place but the friend is a chic artist who knows of cool restaurants so we obliged.

It turns out Nicky Harrison is a speakeasy in Palermo, and possibly one of the best bars in town. Behind a sushi restaurant on Malabia St (“Nicky NY Sushi”) the bar is set on a 1920s ambiance, from the wooden ceilings to the music, which is also loud enough to be enjoyed but simultaneously allows you to actually engage on a conversation. We ordered some sushi from the restaurant, which was pretty good, and after a bottle of Pinot Noir we also had a few rounds of drinks, all of them very enjoyable. The bill came at approximately 3,000 ARS – expensive by local standards, but also reasonable all things considered.

Inside of the speakeasy they even have an open-roof, heated patio, where smoking is allowed. Not a common thing in Buenos Aires these days.

It seems that you need to book at least 2 weeks in advance to get a table at the speakeasy, and this has to be done by phone, not on the sushi bar’s website. They actually work like a speakeasy (no photos are allowed at the bar), and won’t offer the possibility to book for the bar, pretending they are just a restaurant. You need to tell the person on the phone that you’d like to book a table at the cellar (“una mesa en la bodega”) and then they’ll know you know.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It appears as if Le Grill has Grilled its last Le. Website is down, not available on online reservation site. FB shows it as Permanently Closed.

Like sands through the hourglass, so goes another Place I Used To Eat.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I will know more about whats going on with the Le Grill / Chila Group in the next few days. Will report back as I find out more.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:05 pm

We will be in BA from Christmas to NYE and are looking for a good meal. Steak and wine. My Spanish is so-so, so something where the language barrier won't be too big. I mean, I do have Google Translate but an English menu would be nice. Our hotel is next to Plaza Dorrego, Stumbling distance (15-20 minutes walk) would be fine.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MissJ
We will be in BA from Christmas to NYE and are looking for a good meal. Steak and wine. My Spanish is so-so, so something where the language barrier won't be too big. I mean, I do have Google Translate but an English menu would be nice. Our hotel is next to Plaza Dorrego, Stumbling distance (15-20 minutes walk) would be fine.
You'll be a very short stumbling distance from La Brigada. My experiences there over the years have been from so so to excellent, and the same with the service. You'll eat plenty well with English at this place. It is the best traditional parrilla in San Telmo.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:21 pm

I am a big La Brigada fan.... Will be there on saturday with some Australian friends . Watch this space for an up to date report.!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:23 pm

Another place close to Plaza Dorrego is Sagardi - its a Basque Tapas bar but it also has a sit down restaurant. I know they are doing a gala dinner on the night you mention . Will try and see if there is an English menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.