Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:15 pm

I'm stupid. Does F&B scene stand for Food and Beverage?

(embarassment to the max)
R.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You're correct .... so no need to be embarassed.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I thought it was Fetish & Bondage....

On my trip the highlight was two lunches at Sabot, only open M-F at lunch 13-16. Great place where business people have lunch. About 3-5 min walk from Galerias Pacifico.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:21 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Has anybody been to Cabańa Las Lilas lately...?
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Has anybody been to Cabańa Las Lilas lately...?
Was there two weeks ago for lunch:
-Lomo was very tasty and tender
-Service was OK, not great
-Nice ambiente, sitting outside
-Lots of "dressed-up-folks" for business lunch

BTW, I saw on their business card that they also own

Figueira Rubaiyat
Rua Haddock Lobo, 1738
Jardim Paulista
Săo Paulo
Tel: + 55 (11) 3063-3888
Built around a courtyard with a giant fig tree (figueira)

It's as famous as Cabana .... nice ambiente too ... nice, stylish area

Thats what Economist wites about Cabana ...:

Restaurants
Sacred cow

Cabańa las Lilas
Avenida Alicia Moreau de Justo 516
Buenos Aires
Tel: +54 (0) 11 4313-1336
Many Argentines like nothing better than tucking into a hunk of grilled beef, and those who can afford it head to Las Lilas, one of the city’s most famous parrillas (grill restaurants). Popular with tourists and businessmen alike, the restaurant is decked out in rustic wood and leather, but is a distinctly upmarket take on the national cuisine. The steaks come direct from the company’s own farm.

It’s in the rejuvenated Puerto Madero docklands area, and prices are thus much higher than in the more down-at-heel (some would say authentic) neighbourhood parrillas. But if you’re a fan of a fine, juicy cut of steak, you can do no better than draw up a chair here.

Last edited by USAFAN; Dec 17, 2006 at 9:06 am
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

November 2006 reviews

Here's my take on four Buenos Aires restaurants where we ate last week.

Meat/grill restaurants
ILuvParis recommended both of these. I was very happy with each.

El Establo, Paraguay 489 and San Martin
1 block from Marriott and one block from Calle Florida
Very traditional Argentinean steakhouse. We didn't have a reservation; just came in and they found a table. The meats were great, and we loved a green bean/orange salad. (We were at the end of our Argentina trip, and craving vegetables.) I'd happily return.

La Brigada, San Telmo at Estados Unidos 465 at Bolivar
Another excellent Argentinean steakhouse. I had sabayon for dessert, which was sublime. Place took reservations; fortunate we made one as every table had a reserved sign on it and they were turning folks away.

Restaurants that are not steakhouses
Sucre was highly recommended in the New York Times and elsewhere. We were disappointed. Yes, it was very chic, but the food was not exceptionally interesting. I've got lots of restaurants in California serving as good or better food. Also, it was a super hassle getting a taxi afterwards. It is in a row of several restaurants, but there were no taxis dropping folks off. It was a half hour wait for the car the restaurant reluctantly called.

Social Paraiso, Honduras 5182
This was a winner! We would have gone again, had we stayed in Buenos Aires another day. It was recommended in United's "3 Perfect Days", Bon Apetit, Conde Nast Traveller, and Travel & Leisure as a Med-style bistro. It has a very affordable 2 course lunch menu for 18 pesos, with 2 choices for starters and 2 for mains. We tried it all, and it was superb. Desserts were superbly done, particularly their apple/ice cream dessert - very thinly sliced apple dried in the oven, then stacked with homemade ice cream between each slice. It is family owned; the mother of the brothers who own it waited on us and translated the menu.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I echo the good review of La Cabańa in San Telmo. Ive always had a great meal there.

Went to Osaka last night and I was actually quite pleased... I guess they have been doing their homework.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Patagonia Sur

Has anyone been here? Read about it in an article on Francis Mallman. Sounds like a great place, in La Boca and I would be interested in comments or experiences. Worth going out of the way for?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mstraveler
Has anyone been here? Read about it in an article on Francis Mallman. Sounds like a great place, in La Boca and I would be interested in comments or experiences. Worth going out of the way for?
I havent been there yet... so please take my comments with a pinch of salt. Ive heard mixed reviews, which kind of coincides with my personal experience with all of Mallmann´s joints - with the notable exception of his Mendoza restaurant which Ive found to be the most consistent.

Patagonia Sur is on the pricey side for EZE standards, but to most visitors it will still be a bargain. Please note that going to La Boca is not out of the way, its only a max. 20 minute taxi drive from where most visitors stay in Buenos Aires.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL, AA
That, and La Boca isn't a place where you need to spend a lot of time at, if you're worried about time.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:21 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by bk42
That, and La Boca isn't a place where you need to spend a lot of time at, if you're worried about time.
Thanks (and also to Gaucho100K). I too have heard about Mallman's Mendoza place, but we are only going to be in BA. As much as I like a good dinner I have gotten a bit jaded about making large, or arduous, or time consuming ventures for dinner when there a lot of wonderful places (i.e. in BA). We will have a couple of periods there on either side of a trip to Patagonia and am trying to know what is worth going out of my way for. There will be lots around the Four Seasons, thought I am partial to less trendy spots
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bk42
Well... this will depend strongly on what your interests are. If Tango is big on your list, then La Boca is a very important place.... also, if you are interested in the arts, then the place that inspired Benito Quinquela Martin deserves at least a good couple of hours of walking around and visiting the various places that display his works, etc.

I would not be too quick to write off La Boca just like that.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:27 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Well... this will depend strongly on what your interests are. If Tango is big on your list, then La Boca is a very important place.... also, if you are interested in the arts, then the place that inspired Benito Quinquela Martin deserves at least a good couple of hours of walking around and visiting the various places that display his works, etc.

I would not be too quick to write off La Boca just like that.
Sorry to make it sound like I wrote it off. Quite simply, when I visited, there was a lot of interesting things there, just not anything very time consuming. Obviously, I was not aware of the more fine aspects of surrounding attractions, such as Martin.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
We had lunch at a cafe in la Boca - right in the center- had a female tango singer who took requests- a delightful staff- you could watch the life of la Boca go by from the front patio - interesting and sometimes poignant folks, not unlike where i grew up, Brooklyn, - this was on my first visit 3 years ago-
on my last visit in january 2006, on a similiar weekday, sinilar time of year, I was greeted with several huge tourbuses and stalls of souvenir stands, - not the la boca I loved and remembered and gone was my tango singer!!!!
went to Plaza dorrego and found sort of the same feeling again back there. I hope BA never loses it to mass tourism.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 4:28 pm

Hello all,
Right this very minute I'm in BsAs and I have to tell you about a wonderful restaurant you might never find on your own. Matter of fact when the taxi driver arrived at the address it didn't even look as if there were a restaurant there.

It's called Pan y Teatro at Las Casas 4095. Tel: 4924-6920 / 4922-0055 and it's in the Bodeo section of town. Here's the link.

A friend of my sister's likes to take the subway to the end without knowing where he's going, and then walks "home" from there, checking things out and finding things. That's how he found this wonderful restaurant.

We put ourselves in the hands of the owner, Senor Marin, and were served a delightful series of delectable food. We started with an antipasto salad of mild olives, artichoke hearts, grilled bell peppers and, um, oh, I don't know what else, bread and cheese... a hard, almost peccorino cheese, and olive oil.
Then a knuckle (some sort of bone) of cold lamb, some ribs of pork, some empanadas, a salad of greens and thinly sliced apple, and then we begged him to stop. He ended with sweets, a selection of glazed fruits, some intense ice cream, some cheese and well, again, I'm not sure and coffee.

We also drank. Chandon Champagne (about $10 usd) 2 bottles of white and a bottle of his very very best Cabernet Sauvignon (now that was $50 USD but it was the smoothest, most robust red I've drunk in a while.)

The atmosphere is so very rich, with cloth covered lights hanging from the ceiling, beautiful, rich wooden tables, surrounded by art: in this instance there were huge (4x6') photographs for sale in the $400 USD range. I guess the art changes regularly as well as the medium.

So, now we're off to dinner. It's almost 8:30 and we're meeting some locals at their apartment for aperitifs and then they're taking us to their favorite place for beef.

Oh my god, I'm going to blow up like a blimp before this week is out. And I'm loving it.

Adios for now.
Rita

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.