Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I dont mean to start a Food Fight, but ..... Im not sure how Sushi information would be of interest to visitors coming to Buenos Aires. The average quality of Asian fare in General, and Sushi in particular, is quite lame in Buenos Aires. I honestly think that 99% of folks coming to Buenos Aires would never even consider Sushi as a priority dining option.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I dont mean to start a Food Fight, but ..... Im not sure how Sushi information would be of interest to visitors coming to Buenos Aires. The average quality of Asian fare in General, and Sushi in particular, is quite lame in Buenos Aires. I honestly think that 99% of folks coming to Buenos Aires would never even consider Sushi as a priority dining option.
I believe you may be a little out of touch since you moved away. Theres an explosion of Omakase restaurants in BsAs and Dan is not the only one writing about them. Here is just one to consider:

https://naresushibar.com/

https://www.instagram.com/naresushibar/

https://www.google.com/search?q=nare...&client=safari

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 9, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ah... yes, my apologies, I forgot Im now the ignorant expat and you are the EZE Native..... LOL

Im well very aware of the "boom" of Asian & Japanese-Fusion places in EZE, which BTW is nothing new and not even something especially recent. Its been going on for 2-3 years... BUT just because they are popping up all over the place doesnt mean that they are any good, or that they are of special interest to those visiting. Sadly, 99% of places are tropicalized and have no real sense of authenticity, nor are they good value for money, and getting proper ingredients in Argentina is also an issue, especially now with the various Dollar clamps and import restrictions.

Given the offerings you have in the EU and the USA, the LAST thing I would want to eat while visiting Buenos Aires would be Asian/Japanese food.... but then again, what do I know...?
GUWonder and FlyingCow like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>Given the offerings you have in the EU and the USA, the LAST thing I would want to eat while visiting Buenos Aires would be Asian/Japanese food.... but then again, what do I know...?
I agree with your assessment. As a "tourist" to BA, my wife and I wouldn't even think about sushi/Asian food while visiting, just wouldn't be front of mind...

Regards
FlyingCow likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Two interesting articles on Sushi in Buenos Aires

This one a few years back from Clarin:

https://www.clarin.com/gourmet/mejor...SAAEgLtXPD_BwE

A more recent article courtesy of infobae:

https://www.infobae.com/tendencias/2...tType=amp-type
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Quite often our guests from US/ Europe have had their fill of meat by the time they come to us for lunch or dinner and ask for a fish option. Sushi is seldom mentioned though.

We have had quite a lot of success with La Pescadorita in Humboldt and Costa Rica. Its owned by the same guys as La Dorita - the Parilla chain - they have three or four dotted around town, I think.

Pescadorita does some decent fish dishes and will have a catch of the day. Risottos and Paellas are also on the menu.
Flying Machine and FlyingCow like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by malagajohn
Quite often our guests from US/ Europe have had their fill of meat by the time they come to us for lunch or dinner and ask for a fish option. Sushi is seldom mentioned though.

We have had quite a lot of success with La Pescadorita in Humboldt and Costa Rica. Its owned by the same guys as La Dorita - the Parilla chain - they have three or four dotted around town, I think.

Pescadorita does some decent fish dishes and will have a catch of the day. Risottos and Paellas are also on the menu.
Oh, I'd definitely do seafood/fish in BA, but no matter how many URLs Flying Machine tries to post, I just don't see sushi/Japanese food on the menu for me when in BA.

Regards
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:28 am

La Mezzetta

I was walking around Palermo yesterday and decided I wanted to get away from the crowd for some lunch. La Mezzetta has been on my radar for many years (Ive always been a fan of the Buenos Aires Style of pizza). I walked over to Avenida Cordoba, took the 140 Colectivo over to La Mezzetta. Lucky for me there was only a line of three or four people (The line can be over 20+ in the evenings)

You order at the outside window, they take your name, enter, and call out your name when your order is ready. The Fugazetta was fantastic, In my opinion, it earns all the accolades it has received. The Anchoa, with its homemade tomato/garlic sauce was fantastic as well.

Two slices, a glass of the house Tinto 630 ARS. Ill let the pictures speak for themselves!

https://www.google.com/search?q=la+m...99M0aWQ9zp8%3D

fedechat and malagajohn like this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 11, 2022 at 8:34 am
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn
You aren't kidding. People frequently ask how much I love the steak, blah blah blah. This year, on three trips, it wasn't until Trip 3 that I had a steak. That said, the availability of more interesting cuisine (qualified by edible and tasty, too) has been a quite positive development over the past several years. I'm not speaking of "high end" dining, either. Palatable Middle-Eastern, Vietnamese, and Mexican are probably the most notable. These aren't "destination worthy" spots, but they are sure "I can't eat another empanada, chori, or lomo today" spots.

I still have distant memories of a Peru-inspired ceviche spot I visited many years ago - highly rated and "authentic" (whatever that means) and it was clear that the Bland Police was in control of the place. And recently, I went to a ramen spot that a friend loves. It was perfectly ok. I ordered the Steph Curry Ramen, and had to explain what the name meant to my friend - I showed him a pic of Mr. Curry, and then he said that they used to call it the Steph Curry 30 and he then completely understood! Anyway, a good change of food pace, but not worth a trip across town unless meeting someone. On another rambling note, when I first went in to the VN spot in San Telmo shortly after it opened, the person who took my order wanted to make sure I understood what I was ordering I confirmed that I did.

I suppose my best news is that there's finally a really respectable taco, with respectable sauce (one that wasn't prepared by waving an uncut aj over the bowl for "heat")!
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:09 am

Lo de Joaquin Alberdi (JA!)

I went to a boutique trade tasting yesterday at

Lo de Joaquin Alberdi (JA!)

Very interesting spot, never knew about it before and if youre a wine lover, or just looking to bring some bottles back to the United States, or wherever youre traveling from, this would be a good location to do so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lo+d...&client=safari

https://www.lodejoaquinalberdi.com/
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I was walking around Palermo yesterday and decided I wanted to get away from the crowd for some lunch. La Mezzetta has been on my radar for many years (I’ve always been a fan of the Buenos Aires Style of pizza). I walked over to Avenida Cordoba, took the 140 Colectivo over to La Mezzetta. Lucky for me there was only a line of three or four people (The line can be over 20+ in the evenings)

You order at the outside window, they take your name, enter, and call out your name when your order is ready. The Fugazetta was fantastic, In my opinion, it earns all the accolades it has received. The Anchoa, with its homemade tomato/garlic sauce was fantastic as well.

Two slices, a glass of the house Tinto 630 ARS. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves!
Must admit I've found most pizza here not to my liking so stopped having them years ago. A
However as a friend of a friend opened a new pizza carry out place a few months ago I was assured I would enjoy it, especially the sauce base, so decided to give it a try. Glad I did as it's the best pizza I've ever had. The bread base thickness is just as I like,the sauce is natural tasting and home made by the mother of the family. The sprinkling of herbs on the cheese topping is kept to a minimum. So unlike many pizzas you get the full taste of the toppings rather than a mouthful of herbs.

So good is the pizza I now have it once a week instead of once every blue moon.
malagajohn and Flying Machine like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ah... yes, my apologies, I forgot Im now the ignorant expat and you are the EZE Native..... LOL

Im well very aware of the "boom" of Asian & Japanese-Fusion places in EZE, which BTW is nothing new and not even something especially recent. Its been going on for 2-3 years... BUT just because they are popping up all over the place doesnt mean that they are any good, or that they are of special interest to those visiting. Sadly, 99% of places are tropicalized and have no real sense of authenticity, nor are they good value for money, and getting proper ingredients in Argentina is also an issue, especially now with the various Dollar clamps and import restrictions.

Given the offerings you have in the EU and the USA, the LAST thing I would want to eat while visiting Buenos Aires would be Asian/Japanese food.... but then again, what do I know...?
I didn't know you were no longer a local.

Talking about sushi....there was an explosion of sushi places opening even here out in the sticks. Unfortunately most opened just as the pandemic started so closed shortly after. Only one or two now remain. I have always avoided them given the produce in the fish shops here is of such poor quality. However a friend of the wife lives across the road from a sushi place and she said the quality is good. I must give it a try.
malagajohn and Flying Machine like this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 2:25 pm

After getting some very fresh fish in the barrio chino, I stopped off for some spicy noodle soup today!

Happy Mothers Day!

Ichiban

https://www.google.com/search?q=ichi...&client=safari

Restaurante Mianhttps://www.google.com/search?q=rest...&client=safari
malagajohn likes this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 16, 2022 at 2:36 pm
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:41 am

El Espanol

Ive been in Buenos Aires for a few weeks now. During my first few days I went to one of my favorite Bodegons ( literally translated as still life) They actually are as times have changed but these places have not! I really enjoy these type of places as they offer abundant food, in non-pretentious and quite interesting locations. One common theme is the offer excellent service, quality food in abundant portions with great value.

El Espaol has an interesting menu thats offered on weekdays for less than 1200 ARS and a little bit more on weekends and holidays as long as you dine during certain hours. The menu I had chosen was a mixed salad, centro de entraa, 1/4 liter of the house red and a small siphon bottle of water. Yes all for under 1200 ARS. This piece of meat that is quite misunderstood, and in this location it is prepared fantastically on a consistent basis and is quite tender and flavorful. Let the pictures speak for themselves

https://www.google.com/search?q=el+espaol+restaurante&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:08 pm

deleting

Last edited by PSPandBA; Oct 17, 2022 at 12:09 pm Reason: deleting

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.