Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Old May 1, 2012, 12:13 pm

Question First Time Posting Question

I apologize if I am in the wrong thread.
My question is which side of the plane should we sit on flying from Houston,Tx to Buenos Aires? I know the Andes run along the coast and would be nice to see them, but if we're flying inland, guess it doesn't matter.
What do you think? or please tell me where to ask this question.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thechipman
I apologize if I am in the wrong thread.
My question is which side of the plane should we sit on flying from Houston,Tx to Buenos Aires? I know the Andes run along the coast and would be nice to see them, but if we're flying inland, guess it doesn't matter.
What do you think? or please tell me where to ask this question.
Welcome thechipman....most of your flight will take place in darkness so it won't really matter where you sit.......you won't see the Andes anyway.
Old May 5, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...me-help.35222/

For those with celiac disease issues, here's a link to some shops and restaurants for food items (eff 4 May 12)
Old May 8, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by KurtD
I've lived down here for 4.5 years, and visited 8-10 times before living here and don't remember ever seeing croquetas on any menu. I thought they were only a big deal in Belgium and France. According to wikipedia sometimes people refer to the crispy fried meatballs some folks make at as croquetas but I don't think that's what you're referring to.

As for the rest of your list, I don't do street food so can offer no advice. La Querencia (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ci...5&z=18&vpsrc=6) has awesome empenadas and some other great dishes from northern Argentina like locro, bife al caballo, and sometimes even sopa paraguaya. There are tons of good places to get gelato, just try any of the ice cream shops you're bound to pass by as you wander the city. I have no ideas about cooking schools, but if you spend a few days up here in the north my brother-in-law and I can teach you all about cooking on an argentinian parilla and preparing meat a la estaca too. As a bonus, you'd get my wife's awesome homemade empenadas and her Uncle Carlos' recipe for chimichurri
Thanks for the reply....Sorry for not sending my reply until now. I ran short of time once in Argentina, and due to the Labor Day holiday, it took a 3 day bite out of my plans and threw me for a curve. I'm sending a PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 1:31 pm

I just returned from my first trip to Buenos Aires.

A majority of the time I was with friends who couldn't get enough of Cabana Las Lilas and Sotto Voce. I made several attempts and finally was able to try El Desnivel (difficult to know their operating hours), as that was given recommendations for a not so high end restaurant with good food. I went to a random parilla stand (one of many) lined along the Parque Mujeres area. I wanted to try the Choripn that people seem to rave about. Also found a supermarket (Jumbo) to buy some items to take home and a wine vendor (Tiempo de Vinos) for some decent Malbec to take back with me. I wanted to do some other things like take a cooking class and try some other places, but the Labor day/Sandwich Day (not food related) interfered with my plans.

The goal was to stick to eating foods I couldn't get at home. Only failed once when I got a hamburger at the hotel.

Anyway, I'm hoping to write up a report, or at least post some links and more detail on this page about the foods and such that I experienced on my trip.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and info posted on this thread.
Old May 8, 2012, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Robt760
I just returned from my first trip to Buenos Aires.

A majority of the time I was with friends who couldn't get enough of Cabana Las Lilas and Sotto Voce. I made several attempts and finally was able to try El Desnivel (difficult to know their operating hours), as that was given recommendations for a not so high end restaurant with good food. I went to a random parilla stand (one of many) lined along the Parque Mujeres area. I wanted to try the Choripn that people seem to rave about. Also found a supermarket (Jumbo) to buy some items to take home and a wine vendor (Tiempo de Vinos) for some decent Malbec to take back with me. I wanted to do some other things like take a cooking class and try some other places, but the Labor day/Sandwich Day (not food related) interfered with my plans.

The goal was to stick to eating foods I couldn't get at home. Only failed once when I got a hamburger at the hotel.

Anyway, I'm hoping to write up a report, or at least post some links and more detail on this page about the foods and such that I experienced on my trip.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and info posted on this thread.
Thanks for the quick report and looking forward to your extended version when you have a chance.... glad to hear you had a good time !!! ^
Old May 10, 2012, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
It's all pretty easy.....after a while.

Timing and temperature control seem to be the key elements to successful cooking on the parrilla.
Click on my signature to see a short video I made yesterday.
Great, thanks for sharing that video. The sausages looked nowhere near 'pink' once finished (or was that another person that had pink sausage encounters on BA)

I'd be interested to know which types of wood are common for the parillia fire, as the wood imparts most of the flavor.
Old May 11, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
IThe goal was to stick to eating foods I couldn't get at home. Only failed once when I got a hamburger at the hotel.
As a chef I'm sure you tried a variety of things. As an Irishman who loves black pudding I highly recommend the morcilla at Rio Alba, Best I've ever tasted. ^

On the wine/malbec front I'll let Alex make recommendations but I love Yacochuya M.Rolland. Not cheap but top drawer.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:57 am

I'd be interested to know which types of wood are common for the parillia fire, as the wood imparts most of the flavor.
Yes the sausages are always well cooked.

As for the wood.....normal wood used around these parts is a variety of Acacia which grows naturally. I tend to use that a lot plus anything else which is dead in the countryside. There is a very hard wood from the north which they sell for the purpose as its coals give off heat longer.

Unlike cold/hot smoking I've not heard that the type of wood used makes any difference to the taste of parrilla cooked meats.....as it's more the meat juices/fats dropping on the coals which imparts the flavour with the smoke it makes permeating back through to the meat.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by oiRRio
As a chef I'm sure you tried a variety of things. As an Irishman who loves black pudding I highly recommend the morcilla at Rio Alba, Best I've ever tasted. ^

On the wine/malbec front I'll let Alex make recommendations but I love Yacochuya M.Rolland. Not cheap but top drawer.
Oh I tried the morcilla. I was able to get two bites and then was turned off the the tasted and texture. I was sickened once years back by liverwurst and most of the strong flavored and textured liver and such brings back a (not sure what) but I get turned off...happens with about 4 or 5 foods I've had in my life. I tried black pudding in Ireland, same thing. I tried white pudding, and it was a little better.

There's Scots/Irish in my blood, but some of it didn't carry through with the traditions of cuisine apparently.
Old May 11, 2012, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Good Job on the Video... nicely done Hiddy !! ^
Old May 11, 2012, 4:46 pm

Oh I tried the morcilla. I was able to get two bites and then was turned off the the tasted and texture. .
I've had good ones and not so good ones. Some can taste stronger than others which I don't really like myself. Had a really nice one the other week which some family relations had brought up from Santa Rosa.

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Good Job on the Video... nicely done Hiddy !! ^
Glad you liked it.
Old May 13, 2012, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Morcilla comes in many styles, shapes, sizes... perhaps my favorite variety is the Vasca, which has walnuts, raisins and is not too overly salty.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:01 pm

Morcilla comes in many styles, shapes, sizes... perhaps my favorite variety is the Vasca, which has walnuts, raisins and is not too overly salty.
I never knew that....never seen any other type here apart from the plain variety. Walnuts and raisins....sounds bloody awful.
Old May 13, 2012, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I never knew that....never seen any other type here apart from the plain variety. Walnuts and raisins....sounds bloody awful.
Morcilla = Bloody (American English)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.