Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:56 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
El Baqueano [...] the most interesting and tasty I’ve had in Buenos Aires. [...] In fact, I much preferred this meal over the tasting menu at Pura Tierra. [...] The wine price points will not ruin your meal
Many thanks for a useful, informative review. Definitely on the list for our next visit to Buenos Aires!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for the great report.... I will put this place on my to do list... ^

A few nights ago I tried El Baqueano restoelbaqueano.com

What a nice surprise. I’ve walked by it for the past few years, always a bit hesitant, because they serve “native” meats, birds, etc. The menu is limited to a AR$160 tasting menu (under $40) for several courses that are the most interesting and tasty I’ve had in Buenos Aires. (I’m not talking about big hunk of dead cow tasty, I’m talking about innovative food.) In fact, I much preferred this meal over the tasting menu at Pura Tierra. One of the courses was a tribute to El Bulli. Fear not, this isn’t a restaurant full of foams.

The wine list had a few options in each of many varietals. The server (one of the owners) was quite knowledgeable in everything she served, and knew the wines well. As much as you might be afraid of eating llama carpaccio, well, you shouldn’t be, nor with ñandu (an ostrich like bird), or yacare (alligator-like) -filled gyoza, or anything else we ate, including an edible wood.

The restaurant is located in San Telmo. A thoroughly pleasant experience. They also offer a 4 pour wine pairing for $115pp - we instead started with a bottle of rose, followed by a bottle of red. The wine price points will not ruin your meal - they cover a wide range starting in the just-under US$20/bottle, and most categories had something in the under US$25 range (and of course, a lot higher, should you choose).
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was wondering if you've ever thought of creating a list of currently recommended restaurants for this thread? There are so many excellent options as you read through it I feel overwhelmed with the suggested options. I'll be there for the Do and will have just five nights to indulge as many of these choices as possible.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
^^^
I've been there too! Actually at the same time as Eastbay1K. At the same table.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
^^^
I've been there too! Actually at the same time as Eastbay1K. At the same table.
Too bad my eye exam wasn't until today - it would have been nice to notice you there.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Too bad my eye exam wasn't until today - it would have been nice to notice you there.
Time to get an appointment with Zaldivar...??

http://www.institutozaldivar.com/en/
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Time to get an appointment with Zaldivar...??

http://www.institutozaldivar.com/en/
jajaja - you're only a few years behind me

On a point where I never wanted to take this thread, but the informed visitor needs to know, the beef quality of Argentina has changed dramatically over the past handful of years. What you need to know is that high quality beef remains available, but you may not find it at the "run of the mill" neighborhood parrilla (as beef costs have risen substantially, they can't afford to give you the great stuff at low prices). You need to know where you are going, with a recent recommendation. My most recent experiences with parrillas del barrio (run of the mill non-descript not on the tourist circuit places) were so so to pretty good. The best beef I ate on the most recent trip were (1) eaten at an unmarked estancia on the north side, grilled by the proprietor, and (2) home cooked by myself.

So, you can still have great beef when you travel to Argentina, and you should have it - to avoid disappointment, just do a bit of checking in advance and you will!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Poster

On a point where I never wanted to take this thread, but the informed visitor needs to know, the beef quality of Argentina has changed dramatically over the past handful of years. What you need to know is that high quality beef remains available, but you may not find it at the "run of the mill" neighborhood parrilla (as beef costs have risen substantially, they can't afford to give you the great stuff at low prices). You need to know where you are going, with a recent recommendation. My most recent experiences with parrillas del barrio (run of the mill non-descript not on the tourist circuit places) were so so to pretty good. The best beef I ate on the most recent trip were (1) eaten at an unmarked estancia on the north side, grilled by the proprietor, and (2) home cooked by myself.

So, you can still have great beef when you travel to Argentina, and you should have it - to avoid disappointment, just do a bit of checking in advance and you will!
Agreed 200%.

It is sad, but true.... excellent run of the mill beef is something that has expired a long time ago. The darned feed-lots are killing the real Argentine Beef. Im a huge carnivore and grill at home at least 2.5 times a week, and getting high-quality beef is getting more and more expensive, and at times even if you are willing to pay a small fortune getting stuff that can match my pain-in-the-arse standards is not easy.

Thanks for the kind comment on (1) above.... but to be honest, I was not entirely pleased with the quality of the dead cow that evening... it was good, but not stellar. Thank God for my stellar grilling skills...

Of course, we had one of the most problematic cuts you can get, the famed Asado de Tira. This is a high-variance cut, which can often be overly chewey and/or fatty... getting a perfect asado de tira is a mixture of luck and science/mystery of the occult...
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for the kind comment on (1) above.... but to be honest, I was not entirely pleased with the quality of the dead cow that evening... it was good, but not stellar. Thank God for my stellar grilling skills...

Of course, we had one of the most problematic cuts you can get, the famed Asado de Tira. This is a high-variance cut, which can often be overly chewey and/or fatty... getting a perfect asado de tira is a mixture of luck and science/mystery of the occult...
I didn't say it was stellar- I said it was one of the best 2 I ate on the last trip, and the standards weren't that high to meet. As I'm familiar with the cut, I know how problematic it can be, so I didn't blame it on the chef. At least it wasn't one of those "I had to spit out half of it" meals.

On another food note, I highly recommend the alfajores at Kakawa http://www.kakawa.com.ar/
These are the best packaged alfajores I've ever had in Argentina. (I'm not comparing them one way or the other to what you might get at a great bakery.) Their other chocolate products are fine (they are very pretty, but taste-wise, just a 'good.') There are 3 retail locations:
http://www.kakawa.com.ar/donde-estamos.aspx
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM

... As much as you might be afraid of eating llama carpaccio, well, you shouldn’t be, nor with ñandu (an ostrich like bird), or yacare (alligator-like) -filled gyoza, or anything else we ate, including an edible wood.
And it's highly improbable that those animals were feedlot finished!

...The best beef I ate on the most recent trip were (1) eaten at an unmarked estancia on the north side, grilled by the proprietor...
Surely you are mistaken. I'm sure the place that you were at was a bodega I only saw a couple of animalitos feroces
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
And it's highly improbable that those animals were feedlot finished!

Surely you are mistaken. I'm sure the place that you were at was a bodega I only saw a couple of animalitos feroces
No feedlot beef enters our home.....

If you think you saw animales feroces you should be here when my little ones have one of their naughty days...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:48 am
GAF

Programs: AA LT Plat, SPG Plat, CC gold, ICH Spire
Butterfly Restaurant

Had a great visit to Butterfly in Bariloche. A wonderful imaginative 7 course tasting menu.
Thank you Gaucho100K for your posting in this thread. You said it was one of the best in Argentina. I have limited experience in Argentina, but it was one of the best resaurants I've experienced in my travels.
We spoke to the staff and they are running at about 50% of a normal year.
This is a chance to make last minute reservations, like I did.
The night we dined there was only 10 guests.
We will be in Mendoza in a few days. Does anyone know of a restaraunt that is a similar experience to Butterfly?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by GAF
Had a great visit to Butterfly in Bariloche. A wonderful imaginative 7 course tasting menu.
Thank you Gaucho100K for your posting in this thread. You said it was one of the best in Argentina. I have limited experience in Argentina, but it was one of the best resaurants I've experienced in my travels.
We spoke to the staff and they are running at about 50% of a normal year.
This is a chance to make last minute reservations, like I did.
The night we dined there was only 10 guests.
We will be in Mendoza in a few days. Does anyone know of a restaraunt that is a similar experience to Butterfly?
Excellent news... I was afraid that perhaps Butterfly had closed. This is indeed some of the best news out of Bariloche Ive had in months.... Ed, Connie & Sebastian run a great little operation... it is for me one of the best restaurants in Argentina... ^

I dont think you will have a similar experience in Mendoza... but this is not to say you cannot have a memorable meal there. Its just that the intimate ambiance of Butterfly is very difficult to replicate. 1884 is a one of my favorites in Mendoza, although I never know if I get a special red-carpet treatment because Im in the Wine Industry... regardless, I try to get to 1884 every time Im in Mendoza.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:39 pm
GAF

Programs: AA LT Plat, SPG Plat, CC gold, ICH Spire
Talking

Thank you Gaucho100K for your suggestion of 1884, will give it a try.
Butterfly is truely a wonderful experience. Location, service and fabulous food. Wish it was closer to New York!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GAF
Thank you Gaucho100K for your suggestion of 1884, will give it a try.
Butterfly is truely a wonderful experience. Location, service and fabulous food. Wish it was closer to New York!
Butterfly is indeed amazing.... I have to get down to Bariloche sometime soon !!! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.