Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2007, 10:38 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Estimado Professore dg4255--

Thanks for the kind words.

I’m rather surprised that your "tifosi" friends have such misconceptions of Argentina... especially since Italy shares with Spain the most relevant parts of Argentina's cultural & migratory heritage. Regardless, I’m sure your amici will be completely won over once they come here… if a visit to an Argentine Steakhouse in Italy got them so excited, then these guys run the risk of never wanting to return home after they set foot in Buenos Aires.

A list of some places you need to go eat beef are posted in my above post, plus, make sure you read through this thread. Of course, if you have further specific questions, please feel free to post them right here and the resident EZE experts and I will be happy to revisit any issues.

For wine related issues, please PM or email me and I will gladly assist you. Plenty of local market only brands and labels of all price points, and some rare high end stuff for your boss will be easy to find. Make sure you understand what style of wine your boss likes… or ask around for what his favorite producers are, I will help you from there.

Cheers,
Alex (Gaucho100K)

Originally Posted by dg4255
Ciao Gaucho and amigos!
First, thank you for being such an awesome member of FT. You are one of the most invaluable resources I’ve ever run across.
So, here’s the scoop: I am an American professor teaching at an American university in Italy. My two best friends, Emiliano and Luca, have never been outside of Europe before. In fact, Luca was on his first plane last summer. (Ryanair from Treviso to Brussels. How awful is THAT?) This summer I didn’t feel like travelling alone so I asked them both if they wanted to go to Argentina and Uruguay for our August holidays. Neither one was very excited about that. They knew nothing about Argentina and have some serious misconceptions about its people and culture. In Vicenza, a nearby city in northeastern Italy, there is a fantastic Argentine steakhouse, La Tangueria. So, I took them there for 1 nice dinner. They both moaned in pleasure the moment the meat went into their mouths. Immediately, SI SI SI SI, andiamo in Argentina! So, now we are booked to arrive into BsAs on Aug 9 and we leave for Montevideo on Aug 16-19, to return to BsAs until Aug 21 for a total of 9 nights in Argentina and 3 nights in Uruguay. I am using Marriott points to stay at the Marriott Plaza in Buenos Aires. While staying at the Sheraton Montevideo on a paid rate.
We are three guys (I’m 34, the other two are 31 and 26). We are all just normal, average guys. I have significantly more disposable income than either of them. So, for eating, we need to be a little careful. Aug 11 is Luca’s 32nd birthday, so I’d like to have a really good steak dinner and the cost is not so important for that. But for our remaining days, we just want to eat a lot of beef. The more, the better. Steak, steak, and for dessert, beef. :-D We are casual, not formal, and would not appreciate a stuffy or obnoxious atmosphere; places that are more relaxed and fun without pretenses. Good food, good wine/beer.
I found two amazing wines at La Tangueria, Etchart Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon and the Malbec. The Cab from 2002 and the Malbec from 2004. I was very impressed with the Cab especially. I like a smooth, oaky, smoky flavour to my wine and this was certainly a deep and full wine. I am flying C class on AF and will be making a connection at CDG, so carry-on is simply not possible. I am eager to know how I can check-in some wine that I plan on buying in BsAs. I am open to other brands/types as well. My boss at the university is a majoe wine-freak. If I don’t bring back wine for him, he will not be happy with me and I risk not receiving a raise come autumn.
Also, Luca and Emiliano LOVE futbol (I prefer football.. the american style.. heh heh) and I have had a terrible time finding if there will be any games happening in BsAs during this time.
Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can give.
Old May 29, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
OK.. in that case Nectarine is not the place for you to go. If you like your steak rare, then the place is La Brigada in San Telmo. However, they have a Grill Nazi who will cook the beef according to his standards... so if you want something medium then you are out of luck.

I would avoid Cabania las Lilas.
Rare is always fine by me or is that vuelta y vuelta. thanks gaucho
Old May 29, 2007, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Vuelta y vuelta applies to very thin steaks... like those used in sandwiches. Rare would be more for a grill situation, with thicker cuts of beef.
Old May 29, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
Vuelta y vuelta applies to very thin steaks... like those used in sandwiches. Rare would be more for a grill situation, with thicker cuts of beef.
Wow I never knew that. To think I've been using that term for the last 3 1/2years. I think I read it in a travel book. What would be the correct term in Spanish? Thanks
Old May 29, 2007, 3:20 pm

For rare, here in Argentina, we use "jugoso", or juicy. Medium rare to medium, "al punto". Well done, "bien cocido".
Old May 29, 2007, 7:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SaltShaker
Well done, "bien cocido".
Loosely translated as "Kiss All Flavor Goodbye"
Old May 29, 2007, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cholula
Loosely translated as "Kiss All Flavor Goodbye"
Well said... ^
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL PM, SPG-Gold,
Thanks to this thread, I found Parilla 1880 in San Telmo. It was perfect. Never again will I bother with Cabana las Lilas. Also tried Sucre and Nectarine. Both were fine, but I wouldn´t go back unless I was very tired of local food.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

1880 in San Telmo is indeed a great spot.

If one is in the mood for Italian, as posted all over this thread two places to look out for are:

SottoVoce (two locations, Libertador and Puerto Madero)
La Parolaccia (various locations, Belgrano and Puerto Madero)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by SaltShaker
For rare, here in Argentina, we use "jugoso", or juicy. Medium rare to medium, "al punto". Well done, "bien cocido".
So could one ask for rare to med rare rather than med rare to med? Something like entre jugoso y punto, en la lada jugoso in a totally imcomprehensible American mumble?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:35 am
Original Poster

In that case, you need to use the terms:

a penas mas que a punto,

or

a penas mas que jugoso

PS a minor correction: its " a punto ", not " al punto "
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:33 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
In that case, you need to use the terms:

a penas mas que a punto,

or

a penas mas que jugoso

PS a minor correction: its " a punto ", not " al punto "
Thank you! Not positive what penas means, but can see it's what I'm trying to convey. Also thanks for the a punto as opposed to al punto. I think I grasp the difference there also.

I'm such a mush mouth it won't matter, but is it true in Argentina the y and ll is pronounced sh? As in plasha rather than playa?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:58 am
Original Poster

a penas = just a little

a penas mas que jugoso = cooked just a little more than "jugoso"
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lili
I'm such a mush mouth it won't matter, but is it true in Argentina the y and ll is pronounced sh? As in plasha rather than playa?
Yes... thats about right. I would say its more like plashya... but you have the basics down...
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
So, if I wanted to order it medium plus (so, medium with about 1 or 2 minutes more on the grill), how in the heck would I say that? ;-) a penas mas que a punto?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.