Search

Argentina: Where else to go?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Argentina: Where else to go?

Calling all Argentinos and Argentinas, natives or at heart.

Have a cruise ending in Ushuaia and we'd probably want to spend a few days there before heading up to BUE (and then on to SCL to get a cheap AM or DL BC fare home).

It'll be my 6th visit and my wife's 3rd. We've been to Iguazu, El Calafate / El Chalten, the Andes around Salta and Jujuy, peninsula Valdes and of course Bs As. I've also been to Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes years ago.

With that in mind, how long for Ushuaia? The cruiseco offers a short trip to Los Glacieres NP but we can get there ourselves.

We don't have to go back to Trelew as we've been to Valdes and Punta Tomba twice (and even Cabo Dos Bahias).. Not into going to wineries as a primary so Mendoza is probably not a destination. Misiones might be interesting but perhaps not in summer (we're not heat people). Any highlights I'm missing?

Any ways to get to SCL (other than by bus) with a stop en route? Not looking to spend too long (a week or a week+ maybe).
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Calling all Argentinos and Argentinas, natives or at heart.

Have a cruise ending in Ushuaia and we'd probably want to spend a few days there before heading up to BUE (and then on to SCL to get a cheap AM or DL BC fare home).

It'll be my 6th visit and my wife's 3rd. We've been to Iguazu, El Calafate / El Chalten, the Andes around Salta and Jujuy, peninsula Valdes and of course Bs As. I've also been to Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes years ago.

With that in mind, how long for Ushuaia? The cruiseco offers a short trip to Los Glacieres NP but we can get there ourselves.

We don't have to go back to Trelew as we've been to Valdes and Punta Tomba twice (and even Cabo Dos Bahias).. Not into going to wineries as a primary so Mendoza is probably not a destination. Misiones might be interesting but perhaps not in summer (we're not heat people). Any highlights I'm missing?

Any ways to get to SCL (other than by bus) with a stop en route? Not looking to spend too long (a week or a week+ maybe).
I would stay 2-3 days in Ushuaia.

What about crossing to Chile and going to Torres del Paine before heading to SCL? I heard Chile has started to reopen its land borders so you could fly USH-FTE and catch a bus from there to Puerto Natales.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
If you're going to SCL from Argentina and have up to a week, I would recommend you consider doing the Ruta de los Lagos. You can take a combo of buses and boats to go over the Andes from Bariloche to Chile through what are some of the most beautiful parts of South America. Here's the website:

https://www.cruceandino.com/

However, when looking at the page, up top it seems to say that land border crossings are not open between the two countries, which would be something to check. You don't say when you're going, but hopefully the situation liberalizes before then.

I haven't done the full route, but I took the boat journey within Chile, and it was simply stunning.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
If you're going to SCL from Argentina and have up to a week, I would recommend you consider doing the Ruta de los Lagos. You can take a combo of buses and boats to go over the Andes from Bariloche to Chile through what are some of the most beautiful parts of South America. Here's the website:

https://www.cruceandino.com/

However, when looking at the page, up top it seems to say that land border crossings are not open between the two countries, which would be something to check. You don't say when you're going, but hopefully the situation liberalizes before then.

I haven't done the full route, but I took the boat journey within Chile, and it was simply stunning.
Thanks. I did this in 1991 (about the time Pan Am went under) to Puerto Montt (bussed back) though my wife hasn't been that area. Trip will be in early part of December so things will hopefully be a bit better by then.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marambio
I would stay 2-3 days in Ushuaia.

What about crossing to Chile and going to Torres del Paine before heading to SCL? I heard Chile has started to reopen its land borders so you could fly USH-FTE and catch a bus from there to Puerto Natales.
I take it the Martial glacier and the park at the sights, though it seems you really have to hike in.

How does one get to Torres del Paine for USH? USH-FTE, bus to Puerto Natales? And fly from PNT-SCL? I seem to remember it was a bit of an ordeal to travel in that area, at least if not by private vehicle.

SCL is to catch what appears to be the cheapest BC flight that does not involve the U.S. to head home (AM).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.