Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Leaving Argentina by air (and returning)

Old Jul 7, 21, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, United, Gol, LATAM

I spoke with a travel agent recently, she mentioned that the new policy of receiving only 600 passengers daily in EZE is a political maneuver to favor the national airline. I am not sure about it. The national Argentine airline seem to not working properly and therefore it loses tons of money. I had only one experience with it, I wanted to change a ticket AEP-IGR and they did not have any telephone to contact, they managed everything through WhatsApp and needless to say they would not answer your messages, no matter I tried. Their WhatsApp bot response was only limited to referring you to useless websites. Their offices were also closed in the big cities.

So we know that there are thousands of people stuck in foreign airports, thanks to COVID19 delta strain and I have no idea how many will not be able to leave the country.

I would like to ask this forum what do you think about this government policy, is it justified? or what would you suggest to deal with this problem, should you have any power to do it?
Old Jul 8, 21, 3:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Leaving the country doesn't seem too much of a problem - the 600 people/day cap doesn't apply for departures and several foreign airlines are flying cargo-only flights into EZE which later take off with passengers.

Entering Argentina, though, is a whole different thing. I do not think that this nonsensical measure is done to benefit AR (the arrivals limit also applies to them). I'd rather say that the government, which always lacked a serious Covid strategy, is now completely lost, and this is just something easy to do and sell to the papers.
Old Jul 8, 21, 11:16 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
@Marambio is totally correct . There is no major benefit to AR - The government doesn't have a clue what to do and this measure is easy to impose and allows them to claim they are doing something.

The fact that medical supplies and other important items don't arrive escapes their very tiny minds.

If you want to leave the country, you can ...but getting back in is a problem.
Old Jul 8, 21, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
@Marambio is totally correct . There is no major benefit to AR - The government doesn't have a clue what to do and this measure is easy to impose and allows them to claim they are doing something.

The fact that medical supplies and other important items don't arrive escapes their very tiny minds.

If you want to leave the country, you can ...but getting back in is a problem.
Didn't some corneas just go to waste last week because the flight scheduled to bring them was canceled? I guess the fewer people that can see, the fewer people that can see what is going on.
Old Jul 8, 21, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Didn't some corneas just go to waste last week because the flight scheduled to bring them was canceled? I guess the fewer people that can see, the fewer people that can see what is going on.
This is what you refer to @Eastbay1K

https://www.infobae.com/politica/202...o-cancelado-de
Old Jul 8, 21, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
This is what you refer to @Eastbay1K
I am reminded of that song from my childhood ... ♫ I can't see clearly now, the plane don't come ... ♫
Old Jul 8, 21, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you @Marambio and @malagajohn, I strongly agree with you both. I am not returning to Argentina until October or November, so I am not very worried for my coming back yet. Unfortunately, I find the current government of Argentina very inefficient and they keep "shooting their feet" constantly almost in everything they do. Thanks again.
Old Jul 8, 21, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azulito View Post
. Unfortunately, I find the current government of Argentina very inefficient and they keep "shooting their feet" constantly almost in everything they do. Thanks again.
That's been the norm here for many years...it's nothing new.
Old Jul 9, 21, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I just heard that the Argentinean government is somewhat easing, in the following weeks, the amount of people to enter the country.
Also, I read a posting that you may be interested to read,

https://viewfromthewing.com/american...rting-july-12/
Old Jul 10, 21, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by azulito View Post
I just heard that the Argentinean government is somewhat easing, in the following weeks, the amount of people to enter the country.
Also, I read a posting that you may be interested to read,

https://viewfromthewing.com/american...rting-july-12/

Yes , there was a slight a very slight movement in the right direction..

Here are details from Infobae

https://www.infobae.com/economia/202...e-los-varados/
Old Jul 17, 21, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
A buddy of mine whom is currently in the United States, is having his niece and nephew travel from EZE to JFK on Aerolineas Argentinas this Monday (July 19th) He mentioned that its the first flight to JFK in sometime. He was a little worried once I mentioned this thread to him. Do any of my Argentine friends here on FT have any thoughts?
Old Jul 18, 21, 4:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
A buddy of mine whom is currently in the United States, is having his niece and nephew travel from EZE to JFK on Aerolineas Argentinas this Monday (July 19th) He mentioned that it’s the first flight to JFK in sometime. He was a little worried once I mentioned this thread to him. Do any of my Argentine friends here on FT have any thoughts?
I would only suggest that people travel out of Argentina at this stage if they have the economic means of affording a very long stay outside of the country, and the type of peace-of-mind that would allow them to enjoy the trip without knowing for sure when it will end. With the winter holidays, the number of people travelling out of the country is growing, yet the cap on arrivals hasn't changed much, which means that a bottle neck is waiting to happen pretty soon.

I don't have any tickets to EZE myself for the near future, but friends here in Paris who were meant to travel on 7 July (on IB via MAD) saw their tickets changed to mid-August, and whether they may even travel then is uncertain.
Flying Machine and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Jul 18, 21, 6:08 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
A buddy of mine whom is currently in the United States, is having his niece and nephew travel from EZE to JFK on Aerolineas Argentinas this Monday (July 19th) He mentioned that its the first flight to JFK in sometime. He was a little worried once I mentioned this thread to him. Do any of my Argentine friends here on FT have any thoughts?
Marambio posts sound advice above. Having said this, it is my view that the restrictions for incoming pax into EZE will begin to subside starting August 1st. There are currently a number of Provinces that have submitted plans & protocols to the Central Government to allow them to open their airport to international traffic - so as to not "overflow" EZE with normal level flights. It is my understanding that Mendoza, Cordoba and Iguazu have all filed formal requests to the Pink House to get approvals to open and receive a certain number of international flights per day.

This is a developing story..... I will come back to update as I know more.
Old Jul 19, 21, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Marambio posts sound advice above. Having said this, it is my view that the restrictions for incoming pax into EZE will begin to subside starting August 1st. There are currently a number of Provinces that have submitted plans & protocols to the Central Government to allow them to open their airport to international traffic - so as to not "overflow" EZE with normal level flights. It is my understanding that Mendoza, Cordoba and Iguazu have all filed formal requests to the Pink House to get approvals to open and receive a certain number of international flights per day.

This is a developing story..... I will come back to update as I know more.
That is an excellent news Gaucho. I plan to return to Argentina by early October, maybe later, and Crdoba is the place I usually go. I used to fly COR-GRU avoiding EZE, which to me it was a great deal. Besides, as far as I remember, those flights were all always full to capacity. I am pretty sure it is a pretty good business for the airlines as well.
Old Jul 21, 21, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
If your travel horizon is October, I think you will be good. Its an election year here so the K regime is doing all it can to show apparent "normality" - meaning that this flight capacity nonsense is not going to stick around for very long. For now, I am looking out for what the ANAC allows American and the other carriers to operate during August, Im supposed to fly out to the US the 3rd week of August and Im ticketed through DFW (one of the destinations that had its operations axed with the latest round of cuts).

Stay tuned, more as I find out further details.....

Search this Thread