Search

Driving through route 40 in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Driving through route 40 in Argentina

Traveling route 40, in Argentina
Throughout Argentina, Route 40 climbs mountains and descends into valleys, runs through forests and deserts, glaciers and volcanoes, in the midst of a natural paradox — of breathtaking landscapes — that only the Andes can give us.

From Patagonia to almost the border with Bolivia, Argentina's National Route 40 "Libertador General Don José de San Martín" runs parallel to the Andes mountain range like a highway of delicious juxtapositions.

It starts well below, almost in the southernmost area of ​​the continent, in fact its 0 point is the Cabo Vírgenes Lighthouse, in the province of Santa Cruz. At only 39 meters above sea level, its also lowest point is the propitious beginning for a journey through the most unsuspected places (which includes a penguin colony among the first stops) and which concludes 5 194 km later, in La Quiaca, Jujuy, at a height of 3 460 m (asl).

Known as the Andes route, it crosses 21 national parks, 18 important rivers, connects 27 mountain passes with Chile and climbs (at km 4 601) to almost 5,000 m asl, which makes it not only the highest route of America, but the second in the world, only preceded by the Himalayas, on the way to Everest.

In its journey not everything is mountains: it descends to valleys, crosses 236 bridges, passes through deserts and forests, overlooks glaciers and volcanoes. It is perhaps one of the most exotic routes on the planet.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Greta Arias
Traveling route 40, in Argentina
Throughout Argentina, Route 40 climbs mountains and descends into valleys, runs through forests and deserts, glaciers and volcanoes, in the midst of a natural paradox — of breathtaking landscapes — that only the Andes can give us.

From Patagonia to almost the border with Bolivia, Argentina's National Route 40 "Libertador General Don José de San Martín" runs parallel to the Andes mountain range like a highway of delicious juxtapositions.

It starts well below, almost in the southernmost area of ​​the continent, in fact its 0 point is the Cabo Vírgenes Lighthouse, in the province of Santa Cruz. At only 39 meters above sea level, its also lowest point is the propitious beginning for a journey through the most unsuspected places (which includes a penguin colony among the first stops) and which concludes 5 194 km later, in La Quiaca, Jujuy, at a height of 3 460 m (asl).

Known as the Andes route, it crosses 21 national parks, 18 important rivers, connects 27 mountain passes with Chile and climbs (at km 4 601) to almost 5,000 m asl, which makes it not only the highest route of America, but the second in the world, only preceded by the Himalayas, on the way to Everest.

In its journey not everything is mountains: it descends to valleys, crosses 236 bridges, passes through deserts and forests, overlooks glaciers and volcanoes. It is perhaps one of the most exotic routes on the planet.
I just read your post. If I ever decide to drive it, how easy is it to get food/gas/lodging and service if the car breaks down?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The OP has been suspended and probably will never be back.

That said, I have travelled stretches of this road (between San Antonio de los Cobres and Cafayate, around San Carlos de Bariloche) and north of El Calafate. Parts of it are not paved so you want gravel-driving experience and a high-clearance vehicle/4WD in case you run into any after-rain mud holes or deep gravel pockets. I encountered these on roads connecting to 40 near El Calafate and around San Antonio de Los Cobres respectively but managed to get through in a compact FWD French or Italian vehicle. Would not have liked to get stuck or stalled in a mud hole The parts I travelled in are also very remote and desolate. Ended up giving rides to locals where the family bike had broken down (man stayed with the bike otherwise it'd be gone) and given locals rides (no bus/little transportation) though that as a bit unnerving. You may also end up giving rides to cops (we voluntarily did, and also saw a car commandeered by a senior-looking police officer).

Gas is available (locals are quite dependent on it) but fill up whenever you can just in case the next "town" on the map you go through ends up being deserted (I've had this happen to me on the Atlantic coast), as is food and lodging though you want to plan ahead (or at least see what might be available with back ups). Lots of tyre shops (gomerias) and there is always a mechanic, but see below.

You want a vehicle that is either reliable or common and easy to fix (which hopefully you can at least do some or at least diagnose), or all 3; Toyota Hi Lux 4WD truck perhaps? Mechanics can only do something if they can get parts, are familiar and/or can improvise. I saw a parade of MB G-wagens (driven by Germans, or course) but they had a support wagon full of mechanics, tools and parts.

I filed a TR back in 2009/10 if you want to look for it. Covers the part in the far north.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:41 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Anybody know why the OP was suspended... only 1 post that appears to be perfectly Kosher.... or...?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Anybody know why the OP was suspended... only 1 post that appears to be perfectly Kosher.... or...?

Its not a typical first post - I just wonder of the OP has some history elsewhere on the site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.