Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Currency Controls

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:24 pm

More updates.

Originally Posted by stan1162
We have been in Argentina for a month ( Buenos Aires) where we were in an AirBnB apartment. We are now in Patagonia. El Calafate is our 1st stop.

1. I booked this apartment on Booking.com
2. Choice when reserving, it was a "pay nothing now, pay at property". I've tried to book ALL of my lodging of this sort.
3. The apartment manager met us at the place and we paid her in ARS. We got a wad of them in Buenos Aires because all but one of our places I booked are "pay at property".
4. We are heading to Puerto Natales Chile tomorrow for a few days and will be in El Chalten next. The Bed n Breakfast I booked in El Chalten is also pay at the property. I'll update when we get there.
5. I have an estancia ( El Chalten ) booked that is the only place that was pre-paid.
6. Then Bariloche, where it is also pay at property. All, on booking.com and specifically chosen for the pay at property. Then Mendoza, but that is an AirBnB that was super cheap.
We are in the last week of our current trip to Patagonia. Currently in Mendoza.

ALL of the places I booked on Booking.com that were "pay at property" we used Pesos. We rented a car 2X. Both rentals I booked on Expedia, while here in Argentina. Pay at pickup. Used Cap One Venture X. Final charges were at the favorable/tourist rate. We call it the tourist rate.

We leave for Santiago on Sunday. Trying to spend the Pesos we have left and time it just right so we have zero to none. The BIGGEST tip, is that we've hung onto our Sube bus cards!!! You cannot get a physical card anywhere I hear. We used it in El Calafate, here in Mendoza and in BA the 6 weeks before we got to Patagonia.

Side note... If anyone wants/needs help with their planning of Patagonia, just ask!!! One of the best trips, places we've ever been. And we've been to some great places.

Estancia Bonanza, EL Chalten
fedechat and malagajohn like this.

Last edited by stan1162; Feb 16, 2023 at 3:30 pm
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
As a data point, I just left Buenos Aires yesterday and all of my Mastercard transactions originally charged at the official rate have been adjusted close to the Blue Dollar rate. They were adjusted approximately 2 days after the post date. For reference I used a Capital One Mastercard Debit. This will make travel to Argentina VERY attractive for those holding a foreign card.

HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
This will make travel to Argentina VERY attractive for those holding a foreign card.
Also those who are resident here.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Also those who are resident here.
How many residents have foreign credit cards?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How many residents have foreign credit cards?
Foreign residents usually.
malagajohn likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:28 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Foreign residents usually.
Yip foreign residents and Argentine nationals with a second passport.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: QR Gold
This is a bit off topic. I will be going to Argentina towards the end of the year and had been asked by my traveling partner about Antarctica cruise cost if one was to pitch up at Ushuaia. With financial conditions as such, if there would be a considerable break in cost. Also, is this doable if we are patient? We are both experienced travelers, and have done many popular 'tours' this way over the years. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by bronco1.1
This is a bit off topic. I will be going to Argentina towards the end of the year and had been asked by my traveling partner about Antarctica cruise cost if one was to pitch up at Ushuaia. With financial conditions as such, if there would be a considerable break in cost. Also, is this doable if we are patient? We are both experienced travelers, and have done many popular 'tours' this way over the years. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
The boats that do the Antarctic cruises are much smaller than the ones ailing in the Caribbean and elsewhere....

Discounting is not too common and turning up in Ushuaia to try and get a deal is not to be recommended.

Remember that the target market is not Argentine tourists but retired Europans and North Americans.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by stan1162
We are in the last week of our current trip to Patagonia. Currently in Mendoza.

ALL of the places I booked on Booking.com that were "pay at property" we used Pesos. We rented a car 2X. Both rentals I booked on Expedia, while here in Argentina. Pay at pickup. Used Cap One Venture X. Final charges were at the favorable/tourist rate. We call it the tourist rate.

We leave for Santiago on Sunday. Trying to spend the Pesos we have left and time it just right so we have zero to none. The BIGGEST tip, is that we've hung onto our Sube bus cards!!! You cannot get a physical card anywhere I hear. We used it in El Calafate, here in Mendoza and in BA the 6 weeks before we got to Patagonia.

Side note... If anyone wants/needs help with their planning of Patagonia, just ask!!! One of the best trips, places we've ever been. And we've been to some great places.

Estancia Bonanza, EL Chalten
What a view!!!

Quick question, when you booked on booking.com, did you choose Arg on the top or US/USD? because I keep seeing something like "is XXX u$s converted to AR$"
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:06 pm

I did chose ARG

Originally Posted by fedechat
What a view!!!

Quick question, when you booked on booking.com, did you choose Arg on the top or US/USD? because I keep seeing something like "is XXX u$s converted to AR$"
I did click on the ARG and yes, it did give the USD amount. What I think happens is that it really doesn't matter when you pay them in pesos. As long as it says Pay at the Property, everyone obliged us paying in Pesos. They don't know where you got your pesos. At a cambia at the Blue Rate, or at an ATM at the official rate. They have the property priced in Pesos of how much they want the room to cost. How you obtained the pesos doesn't matter.
fedechat likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:32 pm

stan1162 is totally correct- no one can ask you where you got your pesos. All Argentine businesses must invoice in pesos you pay with c/c or with used Peso Notes.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by malagajohn
The boats that do the Antarctic cruises are much smaller than the ones ailing in the Caribbean and elsewhere....

Discounting is not too common and turning up in Ushuaia to try and get a deal is not to be recommended.
That would be a change. We went to Antarctica in 2015 and the ships definitely offered discounts to fill up the cabins. You really want to be on a ship with no more than 100 passengers because that's the legal limit for landings.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Meanwhile, the government finally approved a $2000 note - no idea when it will enter circulation ... hopefully while it is still worth at least US$5.
sullim4, fedechat and kennycrudup like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Does anyone have recent data points for Amex? Just called them, and was told that for purchases starting on Feb 26, they would start issuing a statement credit for the difference between the official exchange rate and the tourist rate. They said the credit should post within 1-2 billing cycles.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nickab
Does anyone have recent data points for Amex? Just called them, and was told that for purchases starting on Feb 26, they would start issuing a statement credit for the difference between the official exchange rate and the tourist rate. They said the credit should post within 1-2 billing cycles.
Based upon that comment, I can't say I'd be eager to use the AX card. One to two billing cycles, so long after I've paid the bill? We may not have data points for another two months from anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.