Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

United Suspends EWR-EZE effective October 26th 2019

Old Aug 23, 19, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

From Live and Let Fly

United Suspends Newark – Buenos Aires Effective October 26, 2019

United will suspend service between Newark and Buenos Aires after the flight arrives back into Newark on October 26th. The daily flight from Houston to Buenos Aires will continue. Argentina is in the midst of a difficult recession, placing reduced demand on travel to the Argentine capital.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....os-aires-cuts/

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...-buenos-aires/

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 23, 19 at 6:39 pm
Old Aug 23, 19, 9:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Funny because only yesterday I thought about this route when waiting for my AA flight at JFK.

I bet the current economic climate was the cherry on top of everything, but the whole UA strategy vis-à-vis their EWR flight was strange. Both AA and AR have a solid base here (AAdvantage even is the only foreign FFP with its own credit card in Argentina) and UA was constantly more expensive than any of them. Also, since TAM merged with LAN there is no serious Star Alliance member in the region, so UA was left quite alone in that regard. United did place many ads on the streets of Buenos Aires saying Newark is closer to Manhattan than JFK, but that was about it. Even many people I know who travel often to NYC were not aware that UA actually flew there from Buenos Aires.

It's always sad to see routes axed, but I cannot say I am surprised.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Routes open and close all over the world so I don't see this as anything out of the ordinary. I'd be more concerned if it was one of the better known EZE routes.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I also see this as not much of a big deal. UA surrendered the EZE market to AA a loooong time ago, I was surprised they bothered to bring back this route in the first place.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Seems the Suspension may be only temporary

From Ambito.com

Business

Due to low demand, United Airlines will stop operating the route between Buenos Aires and New York

August 25 2019 - 21:08

It will be a temporary measure. "We have decided to suspend the service," said Jonathan Guerin, the company's Public Relations officer. However, they will continue to operate the route to Houston.

The Chicago-based company announced the suspension.The US airline United Airlines, will temporarily stop flying from October between Buenos Aires and New York, due to the decrease in the demand for tickets for that route, as confirmed by sources of the company.
United had inaugurated the frequency between Ezeiza and Newark International Airport in October 2017, adding it to the daily flight that it already had to Houston, but now from October 26 that flight will be suspended.
"We continuously review and monitor the travel demand in all the markets we serve and due to a low activity of pleasure and work trips between Newark and Buenos Aires, we have decided to suspend the service," said Jonathan Guerin , in charge of Public Relations at United.

However, the manager clarified that they will continue to "operate our daily nonstop service between our hub in Houston and Ezeiza" , and that it is a "suspension" because it could be resumed in the future if conditions change.

During the second quarter, the occupancy factor on the Buenos Aires-Newark route was 85.6% according to ANAC data, a figure that marks the decrease in passengers that forced airlines to lower their fares to remain competitive, what suffers the coverage of operating costs.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 25, 19 at 6:52 pm
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Additionally, I was re-accommodated out of Houston for my flights in November. Seems there’s a lot of pressure on the flights out of Houston now, many days are sold out or about to be sold out due to Re-accommodations. Originally the East Coast operations were out of IAD many years back, only to be replaced by EWR. UA subsequently phased out of EWR for several years and then came back in 2017. Hopefully, traffic will pick up and UA will eliminate the suspension
Old Aug 25, 19, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Additionally, I was re-accommodated out of Houston for my flights in November. Seems there’s a lot of pressure on the flights out of Houston now, many days are sold out or about to be sold out due to Re-accommodations. Originally the East Coast operations were out of IAD many years back, only to be replaced by EWR. UA subsequently phased out of EWR for several years and then came back in 2017. Hopefully, traffic will pick up and UA will eliminate the suspension
Originally the East Coast operations were via MIA and JFK. They added a short-lived ORD. Everything was eventually contracted to a single IAD.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Originally the East Coast operations were via MIA and JFK. They added a short-lived ORD. Everything was eventually contracted to a single IAD.
IIRC United got most of Pan Am’s Latin American routes, including MIA-EZE. As a matter of fact, my first trip to the USA was on a UA 747 to MIA in the mid-1990s.

I can’t remember if UA’s JFK-EZE flight was also inherited from Pan Am or was added later. The flights to Chicago and Washington I do remember and I feel they coincide with the axing of the MIA-EZE route, somewhere in the early 2000s. At the time Argentina was CAT2 and AR couldn’t add more frequencies to Miami, and thus people’s “preference” for AA was born (American itself inherited its EZE routes from Eastern).

ORD was silently dropped as well and for years UA operated just one daily flight to IAD, which they also cancelled almost simultaneously with the opening of EWR.

Funny that the only UA presence in Argentina is not “really” United – the Houston route was originally operated by Continental and UA kept it.
HIDDY and Flying Machine like this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Speaking of USA-EZE routes, I can think of:

ATL-EZE (Delta)
MIA-EZE (AA, AR)
JFK-EZE (AR, maybe AA?)
DFW-EZE (AA)
LAX-EZE (AA)
HOU-EZE (UA)
EWR-EZE (UA, to be discontinued soon as discussed on this thread)

Anything else?
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
JFK-EZE (AR, maybe AA?)
AA definitely does the JFK-EZE route.
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Latam operate EZE /MIA using a 767

From January this will be a Chilean registered plane with Argentine crew
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:36 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
What happened to the AA flight EZE LAX...?
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
What happened to the AA flight EZE LAX...?
It still runs 3x/week, no?
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
It still runs 3x/week, no?
Yep.

Apart from UA’s EWR flight, things look like this:

EZE-JFK (AA, AR)
EZE-MIA (AA, AR, 4M)
EZE-DFW (AA)
EZE-IAH (UA)
EZE-LAX (AA)
EZE-ATL (DL)
COR-MIA (AA)

Incredible but true, I was on the subway this morning and there are still UA ads with “Newark is closer to Manhattan than JFK”.

Last edited by Marambio; Aug 27, 19 at 9:47 pm
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:29 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Marambio View Post
Incredible but true, I was on the subway this morning and there are still UA ads with “Newark is closer to Manhattan than JFK”.
Subway or subte?

Edit: actually, now that I think of it, while the ad may be factually true in terms of distance, I think you can probably get into Manhattan more quickly by train from JFK.

Search this Thread