Original Poster

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
How is this affecting EZE and AEP?

Complete power outages in Argentina.

Just wandering
Fred
Politics or Physics?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:58 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Hope my friends down there are ok.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yikes. Do you mean that the entire country is experiencing blackouts or is completely without power? The latter sounds impossible as hospital patients would be dying etc.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:21 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Things got interesting but nothing overly dramatic. In my case, I was without power for approx 4.5 hours. Hospitals have back up generators, etc. and as far as Ive seen there have not been any power outage related casualties. The exact causes of the outage have not yet been announced, the government is looking into this and details will be forthcoming.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
To answer the above question, I think this was Physics related - not political.
wandering_fred and ysolde like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yikes. Do you mean that the entire country is experiencing blackouts or is completely without power? The latter sounds impossible as hospital patients would be dying etc.
I'd really hope hospitals don't depend on national grid availability
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
We were without power for six hours , although I know some freinds who had nothing for 12.

It was alittle surreal . the City was quiet as it was Sunday . Most traffic lights were out but the rain kept most people inside.

No trains or subway . A few buses were running . Some shops with generators were open

The airports worked normally with some delays.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I'd really hope hospitals don't depend on national grid availability
They dont. Unless you wander into smaller towns of some of the less developed provinces, all large Urban center hospitals are equipped with emergency backup power generation.
skywardhunter and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn

The airports worked normally with some delays.
Meanwhile the ILS went out at AEP this morning.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Meanwhile the ILS went out at AEP this morning.
Back in service now but there are delays and aircraft out of position.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, almost the entire country was without grid power. Almost the entire country of Uruguay was without power. I believe much of Paraguay was without power.

Nothing is impossible, and something like this could easily occur regionally in the USA, or in most any part of the developed world. It doesn't take much inattention for very long, or system hacking.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Airports and ATC relied on power generators during the blackout. There were some delays but other than that it was business as usual.

We are somehow used to smaller power shortages, which are less common these days but used to happen once every few months until some years ago. Hospitals, emergency services, etc. all have generators and as far as I know there were no casualties related to the blackout. There were a few minor traffic accidents in Buenos Aires, though, as all traffic lights went out of service and it was raining.

When I woke up yesterday and saw on the phone that the whole country was off-grid I thought it would take several days to recover, but overall at home in Recoleta we were without power for 5 hours so it wasn’t that bad.

Tierra del Fuego was the only province which remained with power during the blackout. A side effect of being an island, they are not connected to the national electricity grid.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:43 pm

Power outages were VERY common during the Kirchner regime. Things have gotten pretty much back to normal now, so this outage was a "big deal", and the opposition has been trying to make political use of the event. The Government has promised to release the findings of a complete investigation in 15 days, stay tuned....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:15 pm

According to news reports 30,000 people in Buenos Aires are still without electricity.

Seems to be as a result of faults that occurred with the big national blackout and posssibly heavy rain - hasnt stopped for the last couple of days.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malagajohn
heavy rain - hasnt stopped for the last couple of days.
Good. Hopefully the big poopoodoodookaka cleaner from the sky will provide me with clean sidewalks for at least the first day or so of my upcoming trip.

(Also, perhaps the thread title could be edited to include "Massive power outage of 16 June 2019")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.