FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   General Strike April 30th and US Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1966657-general-strike-april-30th-us-airlines.html)

Flying Machine Apr 23, 2019 3:09 pm

General Strike April 30th and US Airlines

I understand there is a general strike planned for April 30. What I was able to determine online, is that the pilots unions have also agreed to strike. I’m scheduled to fly from Buenos Aires to Newark on United airlines that day. Do you believe the United flights will be affected as well? Additionally, what about transportation from BsAs to EZE ?

Thanks in advance

Marambio Apr 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 31030203)
I understand there is a general strike planned for April 30. What I was able to determine online, is that the pilots unions have also agreed to strike. I’m scheduled to fly from Buenos Aires to Newark on United airlines that day. Do you believe the United flights will be affected as well? Additionally, what about transportation from BsAs to EZE ?

Thanks in advance

Pilots unions are striking but that is only going to affect AR/AU and other Argentine airlines, not foreign ones. Also, air traffic control is an essential service according to Argentine law, so controllers are not allowed to strike.

Your only concern might be baggage handling, as Intercargo unions are still uncertain about striking.

The unions of bus drivers and of railway staff are not striking, i.e. buses and commuter trains will operate as usual on April 30th*. Only the Subte in Buenos Aires will be affected by the strike.

*Note that buses and trains are striking on May 1st, which is a national holiday.

Flying Machine Apr 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Mariambo! As an aside, I have a carry-on so that won’t be an issue. However, to plan my time do you think the Amex and Star Alliance Lounges will be open? Do you expect any road closures or issues in traveling from BsAs to EZE (Taxi, Manuel Tienda Leon, etc)?

Marambio Apr 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 31030610)
Thanks for the detailed reply Mariambo! As an aside, I have a carry-on so that won’t be an issue. However, to plan my time do you think the Amex and Star Alliance Lounges will be open? Do you expect any road closures or issues in traveling from BsAs to EZE (Taxi, Manuel Tienda Leon, etc)?

I've never heard of lounges being closed during strikes (I even doubt lounge dragons are unionised). There are rumours that the largest unions will do a movilización, i.e. a political rally, on April 30th, but whether it will happen and the location is still uncertain. My impression is that they will most possibily rally either in Congreso or in Plaza de Mayo. If this happens, of course traffic in that area will be affected. Also bear in mind that the Subte people are striking, so many users will shift to their private cars for their daily commute, which will also impact on traffic, and it's probably going to be harder to find a taxi or Uber.

Flying Machine Apr 24, 2019 3:32 pm

​​​​​​Thanks Marimbo! United actually sent me a text and an email today about the General strike and issued a travel waiver. I changed my flight to Monday evening, As an aside I’m at the Aldo’s tasting at the Hyatt right now great event. Not sure if you like Wines but Aldo’s and Musu (Vinoteca Mr Wines) in Cabillito are great places to try Argentine Wines. Not the same old selection that we see on this board at all times :-)

Gaucho100K Apr 28, 2019 8:09 am

While it is wise to consider alternate travel plans when these strikes are announced, please remember that there is also the chance that these get called off (or postponed) last minute. Conciliacion Obligatoria is a legal tool that the Regulators have and is widely used to suspend strikes while further negotiations are in place.

For folks traveling during these periods, its wise to keep a close leash of updates so that you can act accordingly.

Gaucho100K Apr 29, 2019 7:16 am

Does anybody have an update on the EZE bound flights from the US for this evening...? I have a client that is ticketed from MIA tonight and he is wondering if AA may cancel flights because of the strike tomorrow. My guess is that this is a long shot, firstly because the strike is not supposed to cripple ATC operations, and specifically in the case of American, they have a separate ground handling company here so they are usually one of the least affected carriers.... of course not 100% safe but they are certainly better off than the other US airlines.

The local press hasn't announced any cancellations at this time... if anybody up North has news on this, please let us know.... ^

Flying Machine Apr 29, 2019 8:48 am

According to flight aware www.flightaware.com both Miami southbound flights are scheduled for this evening. I haven’t checked flight stats www.flightstats.com Which is pretty good as well for checking inbound and outbound status and activity from airports worldwide it also shows the FAA scheduling.

AZbba Apr 29, 2019 9:37 am

We're supposed to be flying home on AA 996 to DFW on the 30th, just got notice from AA of the travel waiver to change flights. But there's nothing available to get out today. AA still doesn't show the flight as cancelled. Does anyone have any more info on AA flights in these types of situations? If they usually operate or get cancelled? Or consolidate into one ect?

Eastbay1K Apr 29, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by AZbba (Post 31048779)
We're supposed to be flying home on AA 996 to DFW on the 30th, just got notice from AA of the travel waiver to change flights. But there's nothing available to get out today. AA still doesn't show the flight as cancelled. Does anyone have any more info on AA flights in these types of situations? If they usually operate or get cancelled? Or consolidate into one ect?

I can't speak specifically for AA, but I recall that northbound flights have been delayed to depart after midnight, when a strike day is over.

AZbba Apr 29, 2019 1:38 pm

looks like aa 996 was delayed from 7:50 to 9:10, so switched over to aa 992 eze-lax that is still on time at 9:13pm

Gaucho100K Apr 29, 2019 8:40 pm

I have a client that's on AA's early flight out of MIA and the flight was ontime last I checked. The info I have from MIA is that AA is operating normally, but that UA and DL have both cancelled their flights to EZE. I don't have the flight numbers handy.

GUWonder Apr 30, 2019 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 31030203)

Thanks in advance

Taxis will still work. But road closures or traffic delays due to protests on the street or jams on the highways can have an impact even when the city becomes relatively sleep on the whole for or in anticipation of a holiday.

UA's EZE to IAH and EZE to EWR are cancelled for tonight. You should call up UA or go online with them to see what re-booking options they may give you.

Gaucho100K Apr 30, 2019 7:32 am

My client arrived today, business as usual. He tells me that all AA flights ex USA to EZE arrived as planned.

Eastbay1K Apr 30, 2019 9:42 am

AM reprogrammed its flight to arrive at 00:01,with departure delayed to a couple hours afterward.