FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Aerolineas Argentina Resident Only Fares... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1957020-aerolineas-argentina-resident-only-fares.html)

petomoo Feb 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Aerolineas Argentina Resident Only Fares...

Looking to purchase some flights within Argentina with Aerolineas Argentina and got all the way through the checkout process when this appeared at the very bottom before clicking to purchase...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...381c187368.png

The fare was significantly more when we switched the country to the US.

Am I better off buying my flights on FlyBondi (no difference in fares for residents vs. non-residents) or risking buying this cheap fare.

I thought this was no longer allowed on domestic flights within Argentina to charge different fares for residents vs. non-residents.

HIDDY Feb 20, 2019 7:09 pm

For peace of mind you'd be wise not to book it especially if it asks for your DNI number....which you won't have anyway.

Gaucho100K Feb 28, 2019 5:23 am

Hi Petomoo. Welcome to the Argentina Forums.

As advised above by Hiddy, the rules are clear. This doesnt mean you wont be able to find a way to get the website to issue a ticket. Enforcement of the resident rules are inconsistent, so there is a chance you will be able to "have your cake and eat it". However, if you get caught, you are potentially exposed to denied boarding, re-faring, etc. etc. It is your call on how to go by this.

There are now various discount or low cost carriers that operate in Argentina.... from Andes to FlyBondi to Norwegian. Make sure to read all the fine print as many of these carriers offer great prices but then will charge you for everything else - but Im sure you are well aware of this situation.

BTW, the resident only fares is not an Argentine Invention, various places in Asia also have these fares.... and similar practices exist in the USA. The best example of this is the price break that Florida residents get when they visit Disney World.

Let us know if you have any other Argentina related questions.... is this your first time in the country...?

Cheers,
Gaucho100K

BlueMoongr Mar 1, 2019 3:23 pm

I've tested it last year, bought a Aerolineas ticket on the local website to get the resident fare. It was much cheaper, and I booked that domestic flight (BRC > FTE) in Business.
I've had no problem whatsoever, but as stated above, it's a bit of gambling. I wouldn't try it on a leg of my journey that would be very time sensitive.

petomoo Mar 1, 2019 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 30830856)
Hi Petomoo. Welcome to the Argentina Forums.

As advised above by Hiddy, the rules are clear. This doesnt mean you wont be able to find a way to get the website to issue a ticket. Enforcement of the resident rules are inconsistent, so there is a chance you will be able to "have your cake and eat it". However, if you get caught, you are potentially exposed to denied boarding, re-faring, etc. etc. It is your call on how to go by this.

There are now various discount or low cost carriers that operate in Argentina.... from Andes to FlyBondi to Norwegian. Make sure to read all the fine print as many of these carriers offer great prices but then will charge you for everything else - but Im sure you are well aware of this situation.

BTW, the resident only fares is not an Argentine Invention, various places in Asia also have these fares.... and similar practices exist in the USA. The best example of this is the price break that Florida residents get when they visit Disney World.

Let us know if you have any other Argentina related questions.... is this your first time in the country...?

Cheers,
Gaucho100K

Thanks Gaucho,
This trip will be my 5th visit to Argentina.

I've taken LATAM, FLYBONDI, Aerolineas Argentina within Argentina. All 3 were great, just want to get the best price.

FlyBondi has not released the August schedule yet for BRC to MDZ, so that's why I was looking at the Aerolineas fares, but, I think i'll just wait until Flybondi releases this.

I though Macri passed a new law de-regulating a lot of the domestic air travel, such as prohibiting price floors on routes, etc...part of that was the elimination of resident only fares. Maybe you know more details about this, or have a link to the law.