Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

How much am I risking it with my 4h40m connection between AEP and EZE?

Old Feb 14, 19, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Alaska 75K, Marriott Premier Plat

Hey folks, I am visiting Argentina for the first time next month and am hoping someone with some experience with this can help put a question to rest for me. I did a quick search of the forum in addition to some Google searches, but I'm seeing equal opinions on both sides, or information that is years old. Here's my situation:

On March 16th, I am departing USH on an Aerolineas flight at 12:00 and landing at AEP at 15:20. Currently, I am booked on a 21:20 United flight from EZE, which gives me a 6 hour window. I am checking a bag, which will add some time, but from what I can tell, this should be more than enough time to transfer between airports. However, I am considering moving to the 8pm United flight from EZE, which would give me a better seat and an earlier arrival. However, this shortens my 6h transfer time to 4h40m.

The actual travel distance doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not sure how long it will take to clear customs, wait in line, etc. I am Star Gold and United 1K which may help with lines, but am not sure how useful this is at AEP and EZE particularly. Has anyone done this recently, or could anyone who has experience with these airports let me know if I'm asking for trouble if I make this change?
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JeremyApp View Post
Hey folks, I am visiting Argentina for the first time next month and am hoping someone with some experience with this can help put a question to rest for me. I did a quick search of the forum in addition to some Google searches, but I'm seeing equal opinions on both sides, or information that is years old. Here's my situation:

On March 16th, I am departing USH on an Aerolineas flight at 12:00 and landing at AEP at 15:20. Currently, I am booked on a 21:20 United flight from EZE, which gives me a 6 hour window. I am checking a bag, which will add some time, but from what I can tell, this should be more than enough time to transfer between airports. However, I am considering moving to the 8pm United flight from EZE, which would give me a better seat and an earlier arrival. However, this shortens my 6h transfer time to 4h40m.

The actual travel distance doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not sure how long it will take to clear customs, wait in line, etc. I am Star Gold and United 1K which may help with lines, but am not sure how useful this is at AEP and EZE particularly. Has anyone done this recently, or could anyone who has experience with these airports let me know if I'm asking for trouble if I make this change?
4:00 is the general consensus for minimum connect times. I'd expect that with a 15:20 landing @ AEP (assuming on time) you'll be in a taxi with your luggage to EZE at 16:00. This is prior to the worst of the traffic, so I'd expect a 45-50 minute drive, although sometimes getting through the city can be a PITA. Your *G @ EZE will get you nothing more than expedited check-in. Security and migraciones will be with the unwashed masses. The process will be total, 30 to 60 minutes. Sometimes more. Rarely less than 30. It seems that there are frequently "check in" issues with the passengers on pretty much any airline I've used @ EZE. And sometimes I've been one of them, due to misconnects, etc.
Justin Case likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

This is very helpful, thank you! Given that, I'm going to take the 8pm and keep a close eye on the Aerolineas flight, in case it gets delayed. Much appreciated!
Old Feb 23, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
March 16th is a saturday so as far as I remember traffic is better saturday afternoon than a regular work day.
Old Feb 23, 19, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
March 16th is a saturday so as far as I remember traffic is better saturday afternoon than a regular work day.
True, Saturday traffic is not as bad as weekday traffic, but it's horrible nonetheless, with street construction all over BA, including along the route between airports.
Old Feb 28, 19, 5:28 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Yes, there is plenly of road work going on in the City, but the route from AEP to EZE is not greatly affected, so 4 hours will be more than enough time - especially on Saturday. The only portion of the route that may have a little more traffic will be the General Paz segment, but its nothing to worry about.

I read this is your first visit to Argentina.... will you be spending any time in Buenos Aires...?

Originally Posted by catcher1 View Post
True, Saturday traffic is not as bad as weekday traffic, but it's horrible nonetheless, with street construction all over BA, including along the route between airports.
Old Mar 16, 19, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Yes, there is plenly of road work going on in the City, but the route from AEP to EZE is not greatly affected, so 4 hours will be more than enough time - especially on Saturday. The only portion of the route that may have a little more traffic will be the General Paz segment, but its nothing to worry about.

I read this is your first visit to Argentina.... will you be spending any time in Buenos Aires...?
Apologies for not seeing your question sooner, I just popped back in to give the update that your advice was spot on. I was out of AEP by 4pm and in the door at EZE before 5pm, with smooth sailing the whole way.

I unfortunately did not spend much time in Buenos Aires itself, aside from one night on the way to USH. We made the most of it with a visit to Don Julio and some Malbec. From what little I was able to see in my short time here, I will absolutely be back to make a full trip at some point.

Thanks again for the advice!

Search this Thread