Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina -- Any advice

Visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina -- Any advice

Old Dec 21, 18, 10:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry
Posts: 88
Visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina -- Any advice

Hello,
I'm thinking of staying here (Sheraton Libertador) at the end of December with my 2 teenage sons (17,19). This will be our first time to visit Argentina and would really value some tips (Travelling on some non-rev tickets, don't mind the journey from San Francisco).
How is the neighborhood where this hotel is located? Should I be unduly concerned about safety? We will be in BA for 72 hours. Are there any tours (English) via bus worth taking?

Any tips on visiting Argentina are most appreciated. We are all street savvy, sons (6'6 and 6'4 respectively) have visited Australia, NZ, UK and China this year alone, I figured I should go along on this one ...

Thank you,
IrishBoy
Menlo Park, CA
IrishBoy is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 5:19 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 9,000' elev. in the Colorado Rockies
Programs: Loyal to friends, family, compatriots; not crooked multi-national corporations
Posts: 27
Hi IrishBoy,

Quicker than I'd like (from someone who has been to Argentina about a dozen times --worked in Mendoza-- and about 6 times to BsAs): the neighborhood is fine; I would have no concerns with safety (even excluding the heights of your sons). In addition to the other things you'll learn, I'd do a lot of walking around the city (a wonderful way to experience amazing cities like this/Paris/Barcelona/Rome/Bangkok), def take a stroll around the wonderful preserve just to the east of the Sheraton, right on the water. If you will be there on a Sunday, def visit San Telmo (will be very crowded, yet worth it). Drink a lot of wonderful Malbec (plus don't discount other great reds from Mendoza: Cab Franc, Cab, Merlot, etc), try Torrentes from Salta (a white). The roses in the garden might be in bloom, if so, it is definitely worth the stroll from the Sheraton to the amazing Botanical gardens; stop by the cemetary on the way. Oooo, this is making miss this wonderful city. Casa Rosada. Btw, I have no qualms riding the subway, either.

I so love Arg, BsAs, the Argentinos and hope and suspect you three will have a great time.
Bon Voyage!
JDeux is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 11:44 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry
Posts: 88
Thanks very much JDeux for your thoughtful reply. Looking forward to it !
IrishBoy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 4:56 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 9,000' elev. in the Colorado Rockies
Programs: Loyal to friends, family, compatriots; not crooked multi-national corporations
Posts: 27
Hey Irishboy, btw, your " I figured I should go along on this one ... " was the only reason I made that first response to FT in 3 yrs; it's wonderful;

So along those lines (before your youngest catches on.. hopefully not before he's 25) might I suggest a coupla of other (ahem, necessary) chareroned itineraries to spend with your boys? DEF Capetown: the peninsula, great winelands, a safari, ?great-white cage dive; Jordan: Amman, Petra, etc, etc; Cambodia: Angkor, etc, etc; (if you are a really good sell b/c it is SO safe/amazing) Lisbon... or Madrid or Barcelona) Oh, Peru and Macchu??!! ..etc, etc, etc (Hey, even Guat: Antigua, Atitlan, Tikal: A.m.azing!!) I wish you all the best.
JDeux is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 5:02 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 9,000' elev. in the Colorado Rockies
Programs: Loyal to friends, family, compatriots; not crooked multi-national corporations
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by JDeux View Post
Hey Irishboy, btw, your " I figured I should go along on this one ... " was the only reason I made that first response to FT in 3 yrs; it's wonderful;

So along those lines (before your youngest catches on.. hopefully not before he's 25) might I suggest a coupla of other (ahem, necessary) chareroned itineraries to spend with your boys? DEF Capetown: the peninsula, great winelands, a safari, ?great-white cage dive; Jordan: Amman, Petra, etc, etc; Cambodia: Angkor, etc, etc; (if you are a really good sell b/c it is SO safe/amazing) Lisbon... or Madrid or Barcelona) Oh, Peru and Macchu??!! ..etc, etc, etc (Hey, even Guat: Antigua, Atitlan, Tikal: A.m.azing!!) I wish you all the best.
** chaperoned
JDeux is offline  
Old Dec 25, 18, 4:59 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry
Posts: 88
Thanks JDeux : all great suggestions .. Might try to fit them into while the non-rev rules allow (at least on agree terms for the boys, I have a 13 year old who is flexing his passport too ! LOL). Certainly some great ideas noted IrishBoy, Menlo Park, Calif.
IrishBoy is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 6:55 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,690
Originally Posted by IrishBoy View Post
Hello,
I'm thinking of staying here (Sheraton Libertador) at the end of December with my 2 teenage sons (17,19). This will be our first time to visit Argentina and would really value some tips (Travelling on some non-rev tickets, don't mind the journey from San Francisco).
How is the neighborhood where this hotel is located? Should I be unduly concerned about safety? We will be in BA for 72 hours. Are there any tours (English) via bus worth taking?

Any tips on visiting Argentina are most appreciated. We are all street savvy, sons (6'6 and 6'4 respectively) have visited Australia, NZ, UK and China this year alone, I figured I should go along on this one ...

Thank you,
IrishBoy
Menlo Park, CA
With your travel experience you'll be fine. The hotel concierge will have up to date information about which English speaking city tours are available to you with a hotel pick up. I always think it's a good idea to take such a tour soon as you arrive so you can revisit any area that takes your fancy. My Argentine wife always insists on only flagging down 'Radio Taxis' on the street as she says they are regulated better however I'm not so sure it makes much difference.
Safety wise...only problem I have ever encountered was on the subway when an incompetent pick pocket tried to dip into my cargo trouser pocket. Apart from that I've never felt unsafe in BA. I personally avoid the city in summer as it's too flippin' hot.

Enjoy your visit.
IrishBoy likes this.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 7:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,859
I have not been in Buenos Aires in 5 years but the Sheraton Libertador is in the centro area.
Very close to calle Florida, a few blocks from the Plaza de Mayo, walking distance to San Telmo and walking distance to the Teatro Colon
You are also close to Galerias Pacifico; nice small shopping mall with great architecture.
I have visited several times and lived there many years ago.
It is a truly awesome city that MUST be enjoyed on foot.
Not sure if you need a guided tour. Just walk from your hotel up to Palermo and its gardens on any of the major streets.
Do not miss Recoleta and the cemetery. It is worth a stop and tour.
Go into the Palace Alvear Hotel and at least have a cup of coffee or a drink. It is - for me - the grandest hotel in Buenos Aires.
Safety I think is always an issue where ever you travel. It ain't no NZ or Australia but it is generally safe. Common sense is your friend.
more than the size of the children, not flaunting large camera, phones or lots of money should be the rule.
HIDDY likes this.
keisari is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 10:21 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
give me some advice
Charles Bryant is offline  
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:16 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 7,659
Originally Posted by Charles Bryant View Post
give me some advice
Advice would be to post a coherent question!
UAPremExecflyer is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 6:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
I have not been in Buenos Aires in 5 years but the Sheraton Libertador is in the centro area.
Very close to calle Florida, a few blocks from the Plaza de Mayo, walking distance to San Telmo and walking distance to the Teatro Colon
You are also close to Galerias Pacifico; nice small shopping mall with great architecture.
I have visited several times and lived there many years ago.
It is a truly awesome city that MUST be enjoyed on foot.
Not sure if you need a guided tour. Just walk from your hotel up to Palermo and its gardens on any of the major streets.
Do not miss Recoleta and the cemetery. It is worth a stop and tour.
Go into the Palace Alvear Hotel and at least have a cup of coffee or a drink. It is - for me - the grandest hotel in Buenos Aires.
Safety I think is always an issue where ever you travel. It ain't no NZ or Australia but it is generally safe. Common sense is your friend.
more than the size of the children, not flaunting large camera, phones or lots of money should be the rule.
Good suggestions, especially the cemetery (find Evita Peron's grave) and Galerias Pacifico, which has a wonderful ceiling (dome) mural. The cathedral, adjacent to the Casa Rosada (presidential palace) is also worth a visit.
catcher1 is offline  
Old Feb 28, 19, 5:31 am
  #12  
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 35,097
Originally Posted by Charles Bryant View Post
give me some advice
Hello Charles... welcome to the Argentina Forums. What advice are you looking for..? What are your travel dates, are you coming alone or a group..? What are your general interests...? Please tell us a little about you and what you like/enjoy and the Forum regulars (an others) will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Alex (Gaucho100K)
Flying Machine and flatdawgs like this.
Gaucho100K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread