Mendoza for NYE

Old Dec 13, 18, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Mendoza for NYE

Hello - My husband and I will be in Mendoza for five nights, including New Year's Eve. NYE is our final night before heading to BA for a few nights. We're in our 40s and love food and wine, but are not big partyers. If we were home in the US for NYE, we would be watching the ball drop on tv. Any thoughts for NYE activities? If you also also have restaurant recommendations, that would be wonderful.
Old Dec 13, 18, 4:39 pm

Like most of Argentina, New Year's has few public events, unlike the famed harbor fireworks in Valparaiso Chile.. In Argentina, it is a private time for going out to restaurants with family and friends, or staying home and feasting with family. After midnight, younger people go out partying. Many wineries, especially in Lujan area, have sumptuous New Year's dinners from sundown until ealry hours, often including music and dancing, but you have to make reservations and pay in advance. I have no suggestions, as I prefer to spend the time with a few friends and family here. Ask your hotel for a suggestions, but the parties will be expensive. Otherwise, be sure to eat earlier, as you may not be able to get into many of the restaurants later.

If you are spending New Year’s in the capital Buenos Aires, you can go down to Puerto Madero, the old now-upsacle port, and see the fireworks that are put on by the city government shoot over the river. Alternatively, if you are eslewhere in the country, most people have their own fireworks and set them off in the garden or in the street.
Old Dec 14, 18, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David Beach View Post
Like most of Argentina, New Year's has few public events, unlike the famed harbor fireworks in Valparaiso Chile.. In Argentina, it is a private time for going out to restaurants with family and friends, or staying home and feasting with family. After midnight, younger people go out partying. Many wineries, especially in Lujan area, have sumptuous New Year's dinners from sundown until ealry hours, often including music and dancing, but you have to make reservations and pay in advance. I have no suggestions, as I prefer to spend the time with a few friends and family here. Ask your hotel for a suggestions, but the parties will be expensive. Otherwise, be sure to eat earlier, as you may not be able to get into many of the restaurants later.

If you are spending New Year’s in the capital Buenos Aires, you can go down to Puerto Madero, the old now-upsacle port, and see the fireworks that are put on by the city government shoot over the river. Alternatively, if you are eslewhere in the country, most people have their own fireworks and set them off in the garden or in the street.
This is so helpful and perfect. You've resolved several questions. I appreciate your time!
Old Dec 21, 18, 6:36 pm

Programs: Loyal to friends, family, compatriots; not crooked multi-national corporations
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
Hello - My husband and I will be in Mendoza for five nights, including New Year's Eve. NYE is our final night before heading to BA for a few nights. We're in our 40s and love food and wine, but are not big partyers. If we were home in the US for NYE, we would be watching the ball drop on tv. Any thoughts for NYE activities? If you also also have restaurant recommendations, that would be wonderful.
Hi Oceangirl,
I love Mendoza, yet have never been there on NYE (although about a dozen other times). Since you two love food and wine, I would def try to arrange (now) a winery event in Lujan (with transportation). I suspect this would be a perfect NYE (oh, and given the 'late hours into the morn' comment, don't think 'party'/loud music). If not, I suspect the vibe will be amazing in Mendoza on NYE, so I suppose the restaurant scene on Av. Aristides Villanueva will be extra special (I would def think advance reservs will be needed) as will the area around Plaza Independencia (although, again, I have no experience w/NYE). Remember: it will be warm (both temperature and temperament!), festive, with the amazing Argentinos, with the amazing food/wine/side-walk culture of the beautiful Mendoza incl region. I'm not the partyer either, and could not imagine a better place for NYE.
Hope (and suspect will) you two have an amazing time there for NYE. (why, yes, this is now on my list for the future!)

Incident: I also love BsAs, so I suspect you two will also have an amazing time in that truly wonderful city!

Search this Thread