FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Itinerary advice: BA + Iguazu Falls (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1943536-itinerary-advice-ba-iguazu-falls.html)

mordy2000 Dec 2, 2018 12:37 pm

Itinerary advice: BA + Iguazu Falls

Planning a trip to BA for the week of Jan 20, 2019. I'd like to work in a trip to the falls once we're there (coming down from NY). From all I've read, it seems the Brazil side offers a better experience, and I'd also much prefer to stay at the Belmond. However, I'm trying to find the best way to work in two days for visit the falls.

My question is how easy it is to get to IGU (Foz) from either EZE or AEP? It seems easy enough to get from AEP to IGR, but then how easy is it to get to the Brazil side (to stay at the Belmond)? And then do I cross back into Argentina to take a flight back to AEP?

Right now I have the following options:

Do Iguazu first, then BA:
1. JFK > EZE (arrive Sunday AM), transfer to AEP > IGR sunday, get to Brazil side (how?), stay at Belmond Sunday night, fly back to AEP (have to cross back into Argentina?) late Monday and then spend the rest of the week in BA. EZE > JFK home
2. JFK > RIO (arrive Sunday AM), transfer to IGU Sunday afternoon. Stay at Belmond Sunday night. Somehow fly to AEP or EZE late Monday or early Tuesday, stay in BA rest of week and fly home EZE > JFK

Do BA first, then Iguazu:
3. JFK > EZE (arrive Sunday AM), spend Sun-Tues in BA. Depart Wednesday AEP > IGR, stay at Belmond Wed night, fly back to AEP Thursday afternoon to take EZE > JFK home in the late evening
4. JFK > EZE (arrive Sunday AM), stay in BA through Tuesday, Depart Wed for IGU/IGR stay at Belmond Wed night, fly IGR>RIO Thursday afternoon to take RIO > JFK home in the late evening

Any advice on ultimately transiting from BA to the Brazil side?

OskiBear Dec 6, 2018 3:34 pm

It's basically a cab ride in either direction depending on where you arrive. My first visit, I was coming in Sao Paulo, so flew in, cleared Brazilian immigration/customs, walked outside and hailed a taxi to the then-Sheraton on the Argentine side. The last trip, we finished up at the Sheraton, took a taxi and then headed over to the airport on the Brazilian side for a flight to Rio.

You'll have to cross the border in either event - they're pretty much set up for this constant back-and-forth.
My taxi driver handled it for me at the border, I just waited in the car.

mordy2000 Dec 9, 2018 12:15 pm

Thanks!

After speaking with the concierge at the Belmond, I confirmed -- like you've stated -- that crossing the border shouldn't be a problem at all.

Our itinerary is now:
JFK > EZE
Sun, Mon, Tues in BA (Four Seasons)
AEP > IGR
Wed, Thurs in Iguazu Falls (Belmond)
IGR > AEP and then EZE > JFK

Will post more details as they firm up!

OskiBear Dec 10, 2018 12:37 pm

One thing you might consider is spending some time on the Argentine side and also doing it in a way that potentially minimizes the border crossing. My recollection is that the Brazilian side is great for the expansive views of the falls, but the Argentine side is better for actually getting "into" the falls. They have extensive trails and platforms that you can walk along - those will literally take you out "onto" and over the falls, which I don't think you can on the Brazilian side.

Marambio Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm

I agree with OskiBear concerning a possible stay on the Argentine side, from where you can walk “into” Devil’s Throat and take the inflatable boats excursions, which are a must in my opinion.

The only hotel next to the falls on the Argentine side is the Meliá. Otherwise there are some pretty nice lodges in the area. There’s a trip report by DanielW on the TR forum where he did exactly as you plan, staying in Argentina and then in Brazil.

There are some flights to IGR from EZE. You may want to check that as it would allow you to skip Buenos Aires on the way back.

Just so you know, expect Iguazú to be very hot and humid in late January.

Sves Dec 14, 2018 6:36 am

As usual, Brazilian land border immigration in Foz do Iguaçu is not automatic, you need to ask driver to visit them if going anywhere to Brazil out of city of Foz. December, January and July are holiday season, so expect crowds on entry to Falls.

HIDDY Dec 14, 2018 10:55 am

Long time since my last visit but it would seem silly to go all the way there and not visit both sides of the falls. You can cross the border easily with little hassle.