FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Changing currency in Buenos Aires (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1938848-changing-currency-buenos-aires.html)

zanderblue Nov 4, 2018 2:51 am

Changing currency in Buenos Aires

Hi,

arriving into Buenos Aires on cruise ship next month on a Sunday and staying on for a few days. We have tried to buy Argentina Pesos here in UK but no one is selling. Any thoughts on the chances of being able to change cash into pesos when we arrive.

thanks in advance

malagajohn Nov 4, 2018 6:28 am

Dont try and buy Pesos in europe . No one gives you a good rate . The GBP rate is 45/46 at the moment when you pay by credit card.

Brbg Dollars or Euros as GBP can be difficult to exchnage in Bs As.

Not sure what the situation is at the crusie terminal .

Marambio Nov 5, 2018 11:50 am

US dollar is king over here, while euros can also be exchanged quite easily. Pounds not likely except at the large bureaux de change in the financial district. As per its website, Banco Piano (one of the largest) is now selling GBP at 46.3 pesos, but their website doesn't show the buy rate.

There is a bureau de change at the cruise terminal but I'm guessing the rates will be quite bad, just like at airports. Not sure if it will be open on a Sunday, though. ATM/cashpoints are available pretty much everywhere throughout the city, including the cruise terminal. You could withdraw some pocket money from the ATM on Sunday and then proceed to the bureau de change on Monday morning.

zanderblue Nov 6, 2018 1:35 am

Thanks for the info. I’ll plan on taking USD’s, and try to change minimum amount on arrival. Out of interest, what rate can I expect to get for USD’s?

thanks

britenbsas Nov 6, 2018 3:48 am

Originally Posted by zanderblue (Post 30398692)
Thanks for the info. I’ll plan on taking USD’s, and try to change minimum amount on arrival. Out of interest, what rate can I expect to get for USD’s?

thanks

Today, about $34.50 per dollar. When you arrive in a month's time...who knows?!

abeyro Nov 9, 2018 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by zanderblue (Post 30398692)
Out of interest, what rate can I expect to get for USD’s?

thanks

In a month time, you check this site: Mercados - Ambito.com

localady Nov 27, 2018 10:52 am

Heading to BA next week. Can I pay taxi with US dollars or credit card and just change money after I get to city at the bureau de change in the city?

Eastbay1K Nov 27, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by localady (Post 30472293)
Heading to BA next week. Can I pay taxi with US dollars or credit card and just change money after I get to city at the bureau de change in the city?

You can pay for your fixed price taxi into the city with a credit card. Use one of the booths just past customs inspection (you will pass through a door) but before you pass through the next door. There will be several to choose from.

localady Nov 27, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks Eastbay1K

keisari Dec 1, 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio (Post 30396210)
There is a bureau de change at the cruise terminal but I'm guessing the rates will be quite bad, just like at airports.

Back in the day, Banco de la Nacion at EZE airport used to have the best and safest exchange rates with pretty much guarantee that you will not get fake pesos. Is that not the case any more?

Eastbay1K Dec 1, 2018 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 30488459)
Back in the day, Banco de la Nacion at EZE airport used to have the best and safest exchange rates with pretty much guarantee that you will not get fake pesos. Is that not the case any more?

The simple fact now is that without a meaningful Dolar Blue, the ATMs (if you're not subject to fees or have them reimbursed) give approximately the same rate.

Sves Dec 14, 2018 6:20 am

The best rates i've ever seen were in tourism agencies (with no currency signs) around Florida street, sometimes they mask for old coins shop. But you need to ask in Spanish (ask every man who is shouting «Cambio») and do some research about today's rate brackets (sell/buy). USD 100 & 50 bills are more expensive than smaller ones.

And even changing small amount right on the street was not a problem (no fake bills, etc.), except lower rate (agreed beforehand) after 6 pm or on weekends. ATM rate (not counting extortionate local fees), i.e. pure MasterCard USD/ARS 0% fee rate could be the same, but sometimes up to 5-6% worse (than for cash).

Another good reference is exchange rates in for Encarnación and CDE in Paraguay, not legally bound to Argentine laws.

Verified last time June 2018.

MSPeconomist Dec 14, 2018 6:26 am

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 30488459)

It's still at EZE but tucked back at the end of a hallway and somewhat hard to find. Expect lines around the times that flights from the USA arrive.

darthbimmer Dec 20, 2018 6:22 pm

I'm flying into EZE in a few days. What will be the best way to obtain Pesos: trade crisp US dollar notes or use an ATM? Where?

malagajohn Dec 22, 2018 4:36 am

If you need csh at the airport Banco Nacion is the best option . location described in post a ove your own.