Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing currency in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Are there ATMs at EZE and AEP that will accept USA cards? That is my preferred method of exchange.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Are there ATMs at EZE and AEP that will accept USA cards? That is my preferred method of exchange.
Yes there are but you should be aware of withdrawal limits and fees at ATMs in thread. More info on this thread
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mzb00
Yes there are but you should be aware of withdrawal limits and fees at ATMs in thread. More info on this thread
yes I saw that. My plans have now changed, and I will be heading directly into downtown VA on a weekday. So I expect to have no difficulty finding a Banco nacional now or Galicia ATM
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
There are ATMs at both airports. Keep in mind that ATMs in Argentina tend to charge high fees - this doesn't bother me, as I have a Schwab debit card that reimburses me at the end of the month, but it should be noted for those who don't.

That said, I'd recommend bringing a couple of hundred USD in cash, just in case. Sometimes the ATMs don't work; sometimes they're out of cash... I actually have had more problems with the machines at EZE than I have with random bank branch ATMs located on city streets. Probably because the airport ATMs are used a lot by people stocking up on pesos when arriving in the country, and the banks don't fill them enough.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I have a Fidelity card and Chase PB card that rebate all fees and charges 0% forex. However I may skip the airport l ATMs due to the local withdrawal limits.

And yes, I was once advised to carry USD $1000 because "that can get you out of any situation." I don't actually carry $1k, but I like to travel with a few $100 bills which I normally keep in the hotel safe.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I was there two months ago my hotel, the Park Hyatt, wouldn't change US Dollars into Pesos but they would allow you to do a cash advance. I walked two blocks away to the Alvear Palace Hotel who had no trouble changing my greenbacks for the local.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
How is the rate at the hotels compared to the formal rate?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hotel rates usually apply a hefty spread, especially at times like this when the Peso is in the middle of a bloodbath. Depending on how much cash you need to trade, its probably not worth investing a lot of time from your vacation on getting the best possible rate, but that is a very personal decision. Going to one of the official exchange bureaus will get you a better rate.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have found that ATM rates sometimes take a couple of days to catch up. This happened to me when the Brexit vote results were announced - I took out cash the next day but was still charged the older rate. YMMV.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have found that ATM rates sometimes take a couple of days to catch up. This happened to me when the Brexit vote results were announced - I took out cash the next day but was still charged the older rate. YMMV.
Visa rate now is 56.198182 Yesterday was $45-something.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
We are heading down at the end of the month -- what is my best approach?

I have a Schwab card that will let me pull out of local machines (and re-pay the fee) and can also bring some quantity of hard US dollars. Trying to figure out the best approach (will be there for 6 days/night with stops in Bariloche and Mendoza for skiing/wine tasting)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Duke787

I have a Schwab card that will let me pull out of local machines (and re-pay the fee) and can also bring some quantity of hard US dollars. Trying to figure out the best approach (will be there for 6 days/night with stops in Bariloche and Mendoza for skiing/wine tasting)
I usually bring a few hundred USD but primarily charge whatever I'm able (restaurants, hotel, remis). I try not to go overboard on the cash exchange because I don't want ARS lingering after a trip. Even if I know that I'll be back within a few months, it's pretty risky to have too much ARS on hand. I really only use ARS for taxis and small purchases with fair vendors, mini-marts, etc. It's really not that hard to get USD exchanged for ARS throughout the cities, so no need to exchange a huge amount at one time. Plus, the amount I exchange is tiny so I don't lose any sleep over not getting the absolute best rate.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Visa rate now is 56.198182 Yesterday was $45-something.
I find at Banco Galicia (where I normally exchange via ATM, my bank waives all fees) that if you go before the afternoon closing you get the rate of the day prior. However, if you go in the early evening once the machines are refilled you’ll get the rate of the current day..
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I would just keep a couple of days local currency on hand, and at least enough to get you out of any "jam" where some businesses credit card machine is "temporarily not available." I'd expect things to be relatively stable until the next election day, i.e., no cash freezes, no 33% devaluations in a day, etc. But then, who knows. I've still got a handful of $44 pesos to spend when I get there next time. Fortunately, not too many.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

What dates are you in Buenos Aires....?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.