Search

Changing currency in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Changing currency in Buenos Aires

Hi,

arriving into Buenos Aires on cruise ship next month on a Sunday and staying on for a few days. We have tried to buy Argentina Pesos here in UK but no one is selling. Any thoughts on the chances of being able to change cash into pesos when we arrive.

thanks in advance
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Dont try and buy Pesos in europe . No one gives you a good rate . The GBP rate is 45/46 at the moment when you pay by credit card.

Brbg Dollars or Euros as GBP can be difficult to exchnage in Bs As.

Not sure what the situation is at the crusie terminal .
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
US dollar is king over here, while euros can also be exchanged quite easily. Pounds not likely except at the large bureaux de change in the financial district. As per its website, Banco Piano (one of the largest) is now selling GBP at 46.3 pesos, but their website doesn't show the buy rate.

There is a bureau de change at the cruise terminal but I'm guessing the rates will be quite bad, just like at airports. Not sure if it will be open on a Sunday, though. ATM/cashpoints are available pretty much everywhere throughout the city, including the cruise terminal. You could withdraw some pocket money from the ATM on Sunday and then proceed to the bureau de change on Monday morning.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the info. I’ll plan on taking USD’s, and try to change minimum amount on arrival. Out of interest, what rate can I expect to get for USD’s?

thanks
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by zanderblue
Thanks for the info. I’ll plan on taking USD’s, and try to change minimum amount on arrival. Out of interest, what rate can I expect to get for USD’s?

thanks
Today, about $34.50 per dollar. When you arrive in a month's time...who knows?!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:18 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by zanderblue
Out of interest, what rate can I expect to get for USD’s?

thanks
In a month time, you check this site: Mercados - Ambito.com
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Heading to BA next week. Can I pay taxi with US dollars or credit card and just change money after I get to city at the bureau de change in the city?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by localady
Heading to BA next week. Can I pay taxi with US dollars or credit card and just change money after I get to city at the bureau de change in the city?
You can pay for your fixed price taxi into the city with a credit card. Use one of the booths just past customs inspection (you will pass through a door) but before you pass through the next door. There will be several to choose from.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Thanks Eastbay1K
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Marambio
There is a bureau de change at the cruise terminal but I'm guessing the rates will be quite bad, just like at airports.
Back in the day, Banco de la Nacion at EZE airport used to have the best and safest exchange rates with pretty much guarantee that you will not get fake pesos. Is that not the case any more?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by keisari
Back in the day, Banco de la Nacion at EZE airport used to have the best and safest exchange rates with pretty much guarantee that you will not get fake pesos. Is that not the case any more?
The simple fact now is that without a meaningful Dolar Blue, the ATMs (if you're not subject to fees or have them reimbursed) give approximately the same rate.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: M&M/LH, BAEC/IB, DL, SU, FlyingBlue, AY, AS
The best rates i've ever seen were in tourism agencies (with no currency signs) around Florida street, sometimes they mask for old coins shop. But you need to ask in Spanish (ask every man who is shouting «Cambio») and do some research about today's rate brackets (sell/buy). USD 100 & 50 bills are more expensive than smaller ones.

And even changing small amount right on the street was not a problem (no fake bills, etc.), except lower rate (agreed beforehand) after 6 pm or on weekends. ATM rate (not counting extortionate local fees), i.e. pure MasterCard USD/ARS 0% fee rate could be the same, but sometimes up to 5-6% worse (than for cash).

Another good reference is exchange rates in for Encarnación and CDE in Paraguay, not legally bound to Argentine laws.

Verified last time June 2018.

Last edited by Sves; Dec 14, 2018 at 6:31 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by keisari
It's still at EZE but tucked back at the end of a hallway and somewhat hard to find. Expect lines around the times that flights from the USA arrive.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm flying into EZE in a few days. What will be the best way to obtain Pesos: trade crisp US dollar notes or use an ATM? Where?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
If you need csh at the airport Banco Nacion is the best option . location described in post a ove your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.