Wiki Posts
Search

Changing currency in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Duke787
We are heading down at the end of the month -- what is my best approach?

I have a Schwab card that will let me pull out of local machines (and re-pay the fee) and can also bring some quantity of hard US dollars. Trying to figure out the best approach (will be there for 6 days/night with stops in Bariloche and Mendoza for skiing/wine tasting)
I was just there for a week. I took out 12,000 pesos from the ATMs and didn't even need half of that amount. I was able to use my visa and mastercard everywhere though in BA many merchants will ask for ID (and would not accept photocopies). So I really only used cash for restaurant tips and taxis. Both are dirt cheap by US standards so not much cash needed. And you can mostly rely on Uber around BA.
OskiBear likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:43 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Don’t forget there is the Banco Nación Branch at EZE, where you can exchange your Dollars, Euros and Sterling for Pesos.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I was just there for a week. I took out 12,000 pesos from the ATMs and didn't even need half of that amount. I was able to use my visa and mastercard everywhere though in BA many merchants will ask for ID (and would not accept photocopies). So I really only used cash for restaurant tips and taxis. Both are dirt cheap by US standards so not much cash needed. And you can mostly rely on Uber around BA.
My USA passport card has worked for me as ID in such situations. I don't like to carry the passport book if it's not required.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My USA passport card has worked for me as ID in such situations. I don't like to carry the passport book if it's not required.
I never carry my passport with me if I don't absolutely have to. On the rare occasion I'm asked for ID, I just show my driver's license. This is really just a bureaucratic formality that pops up sometimes in Latin America, but 99% of the time, the person asking for ID doesn't really care what you present. They just want to note down a number to tick off a box. If it looks official and has your picture on it, you're fine.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I never carry my passport with me if I don't absolutely have to. On the rare occasion I'm asked for ID, I just show my driver's license. This is really just a bureaucratic formality that pops up sometimes in Latin America, but 99% of the time, the person asking for ID doesn't really care what you present. They just want to note down a number to tick off a box. If it looks official and has your picture on it, you're fine.
Normally I would carry my drivers license but in BA and Rio I was advised to leave my wallet in the safe and just carry a money clip with cash and a couple of credit cards. I had no trouble using my California DL when asked for ID in Buenos Aires. But maybe it is time to start carrying my passport card - which can also be used to meet the TSA 2020 real ID requirements.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Argentine law requires merchants to check the buyer's identity when processing credit and debit card payments. This is usually enforced in larger stores (supermarkets, retail, etc.) and very rarely in restaurants. They don't really need a specific type of ID (the law doesn't state it) -- anything that is government-issued, is written using the Roman alphabet and has a picture on it will do.
flapland likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... I'd expect things to be relatively stable until the next election day, i.e., no cash freezes, no 33% devaluations in a day, etc. But then, who knows...
When is that election? Any speculation what might happen afterwards?

For visitors, the bottom line is that regardless of who wins Argentina will continue to be a very attractive tourist destination as the value for anybody doing their math in hard currency will be very attractive.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 25, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:46 am

Election is on the 27th October but if a run off is required a further vote will be held on the 24th November. Winner needs a either 45% of overall vote or 40% if 10% above nearest rival in the first vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.