Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peso Meltdown DO - any interest...?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Peso Meltdown DO - any interest...?

Given the current value of the Argentine Peso, Im wondering if there is any interest in organizing another mini-Do sometime in November...?

Just testing the waters here to see if there is any interest.....????

Would also need feedback from Folks to see where in the Calendar we could do this sometime in the 2nd or 3rd week of November and not conflict with another large Do that folks would be attending..... any ideas..????

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Sep 6, 2018 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I'm always interested. Then I look at the budget and my wife......

Just wandering
Fred
Football Fan likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:02 pm

Why not have one in Mendoza sometime?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Come on Fred !!!! You, as man of the house are surely like me. You always have the last word(s).

Those being.... " Yes Dear "

The Peso has been melting down so the budget is going to be VERY interesting. Bring along your better half and she will also enjoy the Shopping and the Malbec. Give you guys are from Down-Under, Im sure you know good red grape juice when you see one.....

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I'm always interested. Then I look at the budget and my wife......

Just wandering
Fred
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:45 am

Will be there in Dec already booked not sure what the Peso will be at by then!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I will be there roughly October 20-28th. Few reasons, including the currency crash, made it too good to pass up another trip down there. Was there ~14 years ago. Looking forward to it.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's an interesting idea. Realistically, it would need to be fairly soon so that there less risk of the peso recovering or the country doing something to intervene or return somewhat to the fixed exchange rate/blue period. Moreover, hotel prices start to go up and hotels become full (as do flights) as the holidays approach and high season fro travel to Argentina arrives (South American summer). On the USA side, most people have probably already committed to Thanksgiving plans, where Thanksgiving is increasingly becoming a ten or twelve day long holiday weekend (roughly November 16-17 through November 25 this year, where the actual turkey day is Thursday November 22). This only leaves the first half of November for candidate dates IMO.

I'd potentially be interested if the dates were to work for me and if flights (DL for me) and hotels (that I like) are available for reasonable prices.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by civicmon
I will be there roughly October 20-28th. Few reasons, including the currency crash, made it too good to pass up another trip down there. Was there ~14 years ago. Looking forward to it.
For me, the last weekend in October (starting Friday October 26th) looks impossible.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
We won't be able to go. We'll be in Europe most of October and are going to Disney with friends (don't judge) the week after Thanksgiving. Enjoy, folks!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Come on Fred !!!! You, as man of the house are surely like me. You always have the last word(s).
Those being.... " Yes Dear "

The Peso has been melting down so the budget is going to be VERY interesting. Bring along your better half and she will also enjoy the Shopping and the Malbec. Give you guys are from Down-Under, Im sure you know good red grape juice when you see one.....
My computer room window has a view of the corner of 100 acres (about 15 years old) of shiraz and cabernet vines. I think it is still up for sale. No it is not mine. Considered "grade B" but then I think they pushed the vines too hard early on.

Alas there are family health issues as well so the travel will be restricted for the foreseeable future.... But I will see if I have a drop of (Australian) Malbec in the cellar to rekindle a fond memory.

I will stop in at the shop if I am lucky enough to get to BA again.

Just wandering
Fred

PS - My 106 acres with 1000 olive trees and a eco-friendly house would be available to the "right person"
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
November is busy...but never say never. Set a date and let's see!

Just sad I am still holding pesos from our last visit.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kokonutz
November is busy...but never say never. Set a date and let's see!

Just sad I am still holding pesos from our last visit.
I will also be spending "expensive" pesos for the first couple days of my next trip. So, no meltdown benefit for me right away.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Interested? Always.

Room in the schedule? Sadly, not this time.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:30 am

I have some doubt as to whether the value is as good as it might seem. Businesses here don't waste much time passing any extra costs incurred by them on to the customer.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Could you elaborate on this...? Im not sure follow. Thanks.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I have some doubt as to whether the value is as good as it might seem. Businesses here don't waste much time passing any extra costs incurred by them on to the customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.