Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

So what's the situation "on the ground" with the currency crisis?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So what's the situation "on the ground" with the currency crisis?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:24 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hfly
48 hours vs at least a month same difference.
Not exactly..... 48 hours is VERY different from 20-22 working days, especially when Interbank interest rates are over 50% per annum.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
This post below sums it up perfectly. The no limit desire to squeeze every single (last) drop out of a deal, no matter what it takes or who gets screwed is perhaps the ugliest part of the current FT Spirit.

We are not alone in this world and it pays back to think a little further away from our own belly button every once in a while....

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Um ... where to start?

2) Why is it a bad time to be planning luxury travel? Real luxury travelers aren't bargaining for trinkets in a Middle Eastern Shuk. They are willing to pay price X for something that guarantees Y level of experience. They don't want to go where "at least some of the locals go" unless they are the locals that ... well, you won't find much of that in Argentina because the loaded locals are luxuriating elsewhere.
Someone who is perhaps a FTer looking for luxury on the cheap (that's why we all came here once upon a time to have airlines pay us to drink their Dom and eat their caviar) is not someone "planning luxury travel geared toward foreigners."

And like all things La Argentina, today's advice may not hold water for tomorrow's trip. Unless you're in a prepaid situation, or have booked via a US (or Euro, etc) based company, I'd not rely on a peso-denominated confirmation from anyone else. And when you show up and they haven't honored your AR$1800 a night place (booked at $20 to $1) and it is now $40 to $1, and they tell you where to go if you don't like the new $4000 pricee, what are you going to do? Have a tantrum? Go ahead. Sue them? HA. Write in Trip Advisor? They aren't scared. You can always complain in their Libro de Quejas - every business is supposed to have one, even the toll booths. There you go.

But best yet, do we really want to drive businesses into bankruptcy because they didn't technically hold up their end of the bargains when the underlying value of the terms have changed so much to make performance an impossibility?
JDiver and OskiBear like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gaucho, I meant instant/48 hours vs 1 month, as I originally stated.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hfly
Hiddy, as I said, this was the last two times that I was there during a currency crisis. I obviously have not been in Argentine for the last several months, so have missed this one thus far. In my previous experience I experienced this in big and small SUPERmarkets, not Hypermarkets, so you are not going to get this at a Carrefour, but will surely be able to do it at a Coto or a Disco, if you know how. Jumbo, not too sure.
I have to imagine the manager is doing it for his own benefit rather than that of the company. They must be getting paid too much.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
ISo as to not single you out, I feel the same for some "implanted" locals that come down to live here of their own choice, but never seem to stop complaining and moaning about everything that is so wrong, so expensive and so complicated here.... perhaps its best to pack your stuff and return back to where the grass is greener...? Life is tooo short to spend it moaning and having a bad time, especially if you have a choice..
I hope you don't think I'm one of those implanted locals Alex?

It wouldn't surprise me if we see the one to one parity between the dollar and peso again.....what do you think?
​​
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
This post below sums it up perfectly. The no limit desire to squeeze every single (last) drop out of a deal, no matter what it takes or who gets screwed is perhaps the ugliest part of the current FT Spirit.
And, frankly, I tire of your not-very-useful "don't be so cheap" advice. But to each his or her own. I constantly see folks being suckered into WAY overpaying for travel. Going to an aggregation website to compare prices isn't "squeezing every single drip out of a deal." It's simply not being a fool with your money.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:57 pm

Thank you all for the info about ID using for credit card. The only thing I can think of for a Canadian would be a drivers licence.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HIDDY

It wouldn't surprise me if we see the one to one parity between the dollar and peso again.....what do you think?
​​
I think you're confusing the US$ with the ¥.
(♫ Oh, it's almost halfway there, oh oh, livin' on a prayer ♫)
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think you're confusing the US$ with the ¥.
(♫ Oh, it's almost halfway there, oh oh, livin' on a prayer ♫)
I hope it is a while before Argentinians would have to consider the IDR in that comparison......

Just wandering
Fred
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, unless you don't care what you pay, you can't really give your business to folks in Argentina who are pricing in US dollars right now. I've seen this before in other countries with wild currency fluxuations. Like I remember visiting India a few years ago and couldn't use my hotel loyalty points because the rupiah had fallen so fast that all the redemption values were horrific. It just is what it is. You do the math, and then you do what's best for yourself.
While I agree with your sentiment, the hotel cert makes it basically free, so it's a win for me. Just gotta get Marriott to update their IT in time which is questionable at best.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:58 am

We used our Hyatt point for a free night for this coming Dec and booked it months ago.
not sure what you mean
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:05 pm

In Argentina there is a saying..... " a confesion de parte, relevo de prueba ". Im sure one of the various Abogados (Lawyers) that read this thread will be able to translate far better than I would.....

LOL

Originally Posted by iahphx
And, frankly, I tire of your not-very-useful "don't be so cheap" advice.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:09 pm

My Dear Hiddy.... suffice it to say that I would not be telling the truth if I said I wasn't including you in my above post. No hard feelings, I hope....?

A return to a Peso to US Dollar at a fixed conversion rate** is, in my opinion, not going to happen.

(**) please note that the actual nominal number at which a fixed conversion is set is in itself meaningless

Originally Posted by HIDDY

​​
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by civicmon
While I agree with your sentiment, the hotel cert makes it basically free, so it's a win for me. Just gotta get Marriott to update their IT in time which is questionable at best.
Marriott? The Marriott in Buenos Aires was reflagged (no longer Marriott family) several years ago.

Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Marriott? The Marriott in Buenos Aires was reflagged (no longer Marriott family) several years ago.

But the Starwood properties are now "Marriotts" as well aka the Sheratons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.