Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

So what's the situation "on the ground" with the currency crisis?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So what's the situation "on the ground" with the currency crisis?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:26 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Folks, please remember that the ForEx fee is not the only thing in play... there is also the bid/ask spread, so even if you have no explicit fee on a transaction you are still going to have to pay the bid/ask spread and its almost never clear what the banks will use as a spread so the bottom line is that you are at their mercy.

Also, remember that the Blue Market is NOT ALWAYS higher than the official market.... demand and supply are at play at all times, so there will be trading days where you may be able to get more Pesos for your Dollars at the official rates than on the "informal" market.

Originally Posted by abeyro
Interesting but:
1) what if the cc charges int'l conversion fee? (Schwab comes to mind, any other card has 0% fee on conversion?)
)
2) what if my bank (Citi) doe not rebate high ( was 5%, i.e. ARS 120 per withdrawal of ARS 2500) high Argentinian fee?
There was no fee when I withdrew at Citi ATMs, but Citi closed its operations in Argentina and Brasil last year. They had hmm...premonition :-)
So what is today's limit on ATMs withdrawals? Still ARS 2500?

3) Cash. Really the guys at Florida are less keen to advertise their willingness to buy dollars? The blue marked held its breath?
Ambito.com shows as of now: Official 35,94-37.94 ,Blue 36.60-38.60 (buy-sell)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You will find that US bills other than pristine US$100 bills aren't in fashion and may fetch less dough from all but the most official (i.e., Banco Nacion) sources.
So the key is to bring basically factory fresh $100s? I was wondering as some places around the world are far less discriminating on the quality of the cash vs. others. I wasn't sure about Argentina. I know, typically, the best rates are attained for $100s vs. smaller bills.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Yesterday, the limit on the Banelco network was $4000/transaction. I got (with fee rebated) $38.48/U$D
Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually beginning my trip in Patagonia, crossing into Argentina by land. So I guess I'll be bringing some crisp USD with me.

Are merchants in BA still willing to take credit cards, or is it mostly cash these days?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
All serious & established Merchants will accept credit cards. Those that play by the rules will offer you the same price for both cash and credit card payments.

Originally Posted by iahphx
Are merchants in BA still willing to take credit cards, or is it mostly cash these days?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:26 pm

Its not mint quality, but yes the bills need to be in good shape. No large stamp markings, no large writing markings, etc. Its not that you wont find places to take smaller and/or bills that are beaten up, but there is a good chance you will get a lesser exchange rate or be turned down. ATM $20 bills are tough.... unless you are paying in USD cash at a shop.

Originally Posted by civicmon
So the key is to bring basically factory fresh $100s? I was wondering as some places around the world are far less discriminating on the quality of the cash vs. others. I wasn't sure about Argentina. I know, typically, the best rates are attained for $100s vs. smaller bills.
civicmon likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:30 am

Some small shops still give you a discount for cash, but may not give you the best rate for dollar to peso conversion.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FWIW, I am finding extremely good deals on house rentals in Argentine resort-towns on sites like Airbnb. Not everyone is pricing in US dollars, so it really pays to look around, especially at businesses geared more toward locals than foreigners. I'm guessing that there are a lot of very affordable good meals to be had in Argentina right now for folks with US dollars. I'll also definitely be looking at some wine purchases.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by iahphx
FWIW, I am finding extremely good deals on house rentals in Argentine resort-towns on sites like Airbnb. Not everyone is pricing in US dollars, so it really pays to look around, especially at businesses geared more toward locals than foreigners.
I have also checked and concur.

I'm waiting for the Marriott TP saga to end so i can confirm my hotel there but if I need to, I may just go the airbnb route otherwise.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by civicmon
I have also checked and concur.

I'm waiting for the Marriott TP saga to end so i can confirm my hotel there but if I need to, I may just go the airbnb route otherwise.
Yeah, unless you don't care what you pay, you can't really give your business to folks in Argentina who are pricing in US dollars right now. I've seen this before in other countries with wild currency fluxuations. Like I remember visiting India a few years ago and couldn't use my hotel loyalty points because the rupiah had fallen so fast that all the redemption values were horrific. It just is what it is. You do the math, and then you do what's best for yourself.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:27 am

Pricing is one thing, and units of measure are another. Pricing can (and ultimately is) dinamic, especially in these times of financial instability. Most large international chains will price in US Dollars, but rates are volatile and Economics 101 will also come into play (demand vs. supply). As FTers, we all know this from airline ticket prices. Prices are not fixed in stone, no matter which currency they are listed in. Peso denominated prices tend to be more volatile than Dollar listed quotes. Make sure you read all and any fine print that is associated with any given quote.

I think its a good idea to shop around, ask for price quotes and see what works best for everybody. What is pennies for some is a fortune to others, so its a good idea to make informed decisions and make sure that the numbers game doesnt take away from the enjoyment of your visit. The good news is that while Peso pricing has been adjusting (and will continue to do so), the value to be had is still very much out there.

As far as Ive been able to tell, most locations that have always accepted credit cards continue to do so.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by David Beach
Some small shops still give you a discount for cash, but may not give you the best rate for dollar to peso conversion.
Good points... but please note that Merchants are not obliged to give you a discount for cash... I suggest asking rather than demanding. In my experience, being polite and smiling goes a long way and makes things easier and more pleasant for all parties involved. Its OK to negotiate but each Merchant has their own book so its best to not assume anything and treat each individual transaction as a separate deal.

Happy Shopping !!! ^
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:45 am

Question for the knowledgeable, is it true that if I am using a credit card I must present my passport.
can I use a print out as I do not want to tour around with a passport in hand.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LillianJ
Question for the knowledgeable, is it true that if I am using a credit card I must present my passport.
I've heard that, but have never encountered it on my trips. That said, I typically only use a credit card at the hotel and some restaurants. I've been asked once (I can't recall where) to indicate my passport number, but nothing else.

YMMV
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Blue
I've often been asked for ID when using a card, regardless of it being credit or debit, whilst in BA. As I have both a passport and a national ID card, I always took my ID card with me leaving the passport safe at home. A drivers license might do the same trick, but I've not tried it.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I rarely have my passport on hand. I keep a paper copy, and also, have presented my California ID, and they just type that number in if the system requires it (rarely at restaurants, etc., most commonly at major chain supermarkets, etc.) and so far, no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.