Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

So what's the situation "on the ground" with the currency crisis?

So what's the situation "on the ground" with the currency crisis?

Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I'm prepping for a proper visit to Argentina (I just ticked it off years ago with a quick Iguazů visit from the Brazilian side).

Since I'm not going to further enrich banks with their extortionate ATM fees, I came with two questions for the folks on the ground:

1. Am I fine to carry Euros to exchange, or the USD still gets some edge with a more favorable rate?

2. Does the Cl. Florida option currently hold some advantage or is basically the same rate as brick and mortar offices?

If the blue rate is still a thing I'm willing to try it.

Not going to use credit or debit cards at all (besides some VAT saving on a few accomodations), therefore I'll be having a cash only vacation, thus carefully studying what's the best strategy nowadays.

Cheers.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
USD can be exchanged almost everywhere . EUROS can be a little more difficult.

The blue rate still exists but the difference is very small . Look at Ambito.com for dail info.

I would pay all accomodation with C/C - The VAT is 21% and can be significant
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by malagajohn
USD can be exchanged almost everywhere . EUROS can be a little more difficult.

The blue rate still exists but the difference is very small . Look at Ambito.com for dail info.

I would pay all accomodation with C/C - The VAT is 21% and can be significant
Agree with John, plus the spread between USD and euros can be significant. Dollar is king here.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:42 am

I just looked and the peso is at 39.45 per USD. Nearly a 100% increase since the end of April. This has to cause disruption in providing for basic needs for the people, especially for imported goods. Has the "blue" market returned for USD to try and retain some purchasing power. Even a 60% interest rate is a loser when the currency loses 50% of its value in 4 months.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bakoboy
I just looked and the peso is at 39.45 per USD. Nearly a 100% increase since the end of April. This has to cause disruption in providing for basic needs for the people, especially for imported goods. Has the "blue" market returned for USD to try and retain some purchasing power. Even a 60% interest rate is a loser when the currency loses 50% of its value in 4 months.
Blue is essentially the same. There's not much need for "blue" when the currency is readily convertible.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I see that the Argentine peso is again in freefall. I will be in Chile in a few months and kind of need to decide whether I should extend my trip to include Argentina. Probably not BA this time, but Patagonia. How is the tourist economy functioning now? I assume prices, in dollars, are less? Can you do things like get money out of an ATM? For accommodations, I guess I'd want to always try to book in pesos: it does seem like some hotels are still pricing in pesos, while others price in dollars. Even in "normal" times (by Argentine standards) things can be strange for tourists in Patagonia -- like there's sometimes no gasoline available to buy. Will the devaluation likely lead to protests and strikes this fall? The devaluation seems like it could be really good, or really bad, for tourists. Or maybe a little of both!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:07 am

I'm booked to BA in mid-November. I'm also wondering how this currency devaluation is going to turn out.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Unless there is a freeze on dollar buying, other than more places being closed, items dependent on imports being more expensive, etc., t'd not expect a materially detrimental experience for the tourist. Perhaps some bargains, but local inflation will eat up a good portion of that. "Protests and strikes?" That is daily life. My local accountant moved his office last year (after many years) because it was close to a frequent protest choke point, and he frequently couldn't access his office.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Aug 30, 2018 at 10:34 am
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by criced
OT but there is now a new expressbus colectivo nr "8s" that goes on the motorway. Takes 30 min for less then 50 peso. Only workdays, no weekends.
Seriously? When did that start? I've taken the old No. 8, which went all the way down Rivadavia and then zigzagged through La Matanza, dozens of times but would love a faster alternative.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Argentina welcomes you..... but, are you sure you really want to come...? Based on your posting history, you tend to worry to much... vacation is supposed to be relaxing, or....? Counting pennies all the time is usually not compatible with enjoyment. You are blessed enough to be able to travel the world, make sure you go somewhere where you will find Normality. Perhaps Oslo, Geneva, or Singapore....?

If you do decide to come and visit Buenos Aires, please let me know. I will treat you to a glass of Malbec in an Area of town that the US State Department approves for its Staff to live in.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by iahphx
I see that the Argentine peso is again in freefall. I will be in Chile in a few months and kind of need to decide whether I should extend my trip to include Argentina. Probably not BA this time, but Patagonia. How is the tourist economy functioning now? I assume prices, in dollars, are less? Can you do things like get money out of an ATM? For accommodations, I guess I'd want to always try to book in pesos: it does seem like some hotels are still pricing in pesos, while others price in dollars. Even in "normal" times (by Argentine standards) things can be strange for tourists in Patagonia -- like there's sometimes no gasoline available to buy. Will the devaluation likely lead to protests and strikes this fall? The devaluation seems like it could be really good, or really bad, for tourists. Or maybe a little of both!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Unless Kristina gets back into Power, there will be no dollar freeze nonsense with the current government.

Folks, yes there is a serious financial crisis ongoing... but its not the end of the world. Everytime it rained.... it has stopped.

Things are business as usual, tourists will get an AMAZING bang for your buck..... relax, enjoy and have a good time. Lets stop the melodrama as it conspires against enjoyment of visitors and us locals that want to be your hosts.....

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Unless there is a freeze on dollar buying, other than more places being closed, items dependent on imports being more expensive, etc., t'd not expect a materially detrimental experience for the tourist. Perhaps some bargains, but local inflation will eat up a good portion of that. "Protests and strikes?" That is daily life. My local accountant moved his office last year (after many years) because it was close to a frequent protest choke point, and he frequently couldn't access his office.
Flying Machine and RafKa like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Indeed, US$5-6 taxi fares (ADDED: across town, not to/from EZE) are very nice. You can find bottles of Argentinian wine in grocery and convenience stores starting at under US$3, but not of course the wine that Alex would suggest. I've had extremely nice wines in restaurants in the US$20-30 range.

I would add that the streets seem clean and there's a slight police presence in a few places such as around certain government buildings, but nothing unusual.

Don't worry, be happy.

BTW, where does the USA State Department permit its employees to live and not live (or even not visit)?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 30, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Unless Kristina gets back into Power,
Rather worryingly anything is possible here. D

I'm still banking on Macri pulling a rabbit out of his hat. However time isn't on his side.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:37 pm

I'm planning on visiting towards the end of March 2019 - given the recent currency fluctuations, does anyone have any advice in terms of pre-paying for a hotel now and locking in a good deal?

Are there any websites / suggestions that people have to book through?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:21 pm

Almost all hotels will quote you in US Dollars, so there is limited room for currency arbitrage in that aspect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.