Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

So what's the situation "on the ground" with the currency crisis?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So what's the situation "on the ground" with the currency crisis?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:07 am

MY word in italics

no gasoline in the provinces (repeatedly)

Can happen in many developing countries.
Cannot happen in e.g. neighbouring Chile. Argentina once was a developed country and suffers from a trauma of becoming a developing one...

no cash at ATMs, low ATM limits
Been to Greece?
Greece...one matching comparison on the whole globe. Nothing to cheer up about, really
A limit of ~USD 100 with USD 6 fee per withdrawal from the ATM... Is it normal? Thailand comes in mind with its USD 5 fee (Bath 150) but no limit of USD 100 per withdrawal.
Automated cash dyspenser are …. hmm automated and thus free in most cases (no fee) in all the developed world..

long remise lines at the airports
Remise?
Delete the word "remise" and you get the clear message.
In my personal experience I compare my entering/exiting Brazil, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Uruguay and I must admit the Agentinian experience is the worst among those listed.
It is not the South American spirit but something specific to Argentina that has them work in an "oblivious to the word" manner.
Arriving at EZE after a 12 hours flight and and joining the line at Migraciones which hardly moves because the clerks/officers like to work at a snail speed.

Again, somehow they don't in Brazil, Chile, Peru, Bolivia etc. Why? There's no-one at the higher level who sees that? Or nobody cares? But visitors' first impression is the lasting impression, isn't it?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe not Chile, but again in many developing countries.

Regarding ATM's. Which are we talking about here, machines running out of money or fees? The conversation was not about fees, but the "convenience" of using many foreign cards at US ATM's is $3-5 dollars depending on the state and bank, so that is pretty widespread. Regarding machines running out of cash, was a big thing in Turkey just in the last few weeks, and can happen anywhere where there is currency turbulence.

As for entering, yes it can be a shambles, notice my comments above about Ipad's IMEI's and the like!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Makes you wonder why someone who only ever seems to find fault with a country has any desire to return. I can only assume they are being forced to through work commitments.
malagajohn likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:23 pm

Makes you wonder...?
Let us come, business or not, experience this and that and never utter a word what we've experienced. This forum is not to share….of course :-)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by abeyro
Makes you wonder...?
Let us come, business or not, experience this and that and never utter a word what we've experienced. This forum is not to share….of course :-)
True, but when one reads of someone experiencing this and that, and then this and that again, and then this and that again and again, and then this and that again and again and again, and then when the price gets too high, continues to experience this and that again and again and again and again and then complains ...
Gaucho100K and HIDDY like this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:24 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
True, but when one reads of someone experiencing this and that, and then this and that again, and then this and that again and again, and then this and that again and again and again, and then when the price gets too high, continues to experience this and that again and again and again and again and then complains ...
I love it when others post things that I cant...… LOL
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Isnt there a word for this somewhere in the Dictionary...…?????

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Makes you wonder why someone who only ever seems to find fault with a country has any desire to return. I can only assume they are being forced to through work commitments.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100
this and that, and then this and that again, and then this and that again and again, and then this and that again and again and again,
Seriously? I read this forum and can't find anyone keeping on doing such a horrible thing. Who is he? Me, maybe??

Last edited by abeyro; Jun 10, 2018 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by abeyro
Seriously? I read this forum and can't find anyone keeping doing such a horrible thing.
Some of the posts by the OP tend to give the impression he wants the country to be run in a way that suits his wallet rather than the country's inhabitants. Nothing wrong with him having his say but it's not of much use to those who are planning a first time visit to the country. They aren't interested in what the US dollar used to get you here in the past.
Eastbay1K and Gaucho100K like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Some of the posts by the OP tend to give the impression he wants the country to be run in a way that suits his wallet rather than the country's inhabitants. Nothing wrong with him having his say but it's not of much use to those who are planning a first time visit to the country. They aren't interested in what the US dollar used to get you here in the past.
That's right. Now, the dollar gets you pesos adorned with animals that a creative restaurant might serve you at dinner. More zeros on the bills, but less bills to carry
Gaucho100K and HIDDY like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:59 pm
dr

I am going to both SCL and EZE in December (first timer). Would love any suggestions/advice on hotels, rest etc.

Also, plan on getting from SCL to Califate to go to Patagonia for 3-4 days. Any advice on airlines, flights, and backpacking companies would be awesome.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dr
I am going to both SCL and EZE in December (first timer). Would love any suggestions/advice on hotels, rest etc.

Also, plan on getting from SCL to Califate to go to Patagonia for 3-4 days. Any advice on airlines, flights, and backpacking companies would be awesome.
Might I suggest that you start another thread(s) as appropriate that won't get muddled in the currency crisis quilombo thread.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:55 am

Excellent Advice.... ^

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Might I suggest that you start another thread(s) as appropriate that won't get muddled in the currency crisis quilombo thread.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
What, if any would the newly minted emerging market status for Argentina do to stabilize currency exchange?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The situation on the ground today, currency crisis, or not.
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.