Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Old Aug 13, 19, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by spainflyer View Post
Exciting news, at least for those of us in the USD / EUR sphere (not so much the GBP sphere!). So! Alex, Hiddy and others on the ground: How much (in either USD or ARS) would a simple bife de chorizo with chips, a mixed salad and a half litre of Malbec be right now at a place like Rodi? I found it recommended some time ago on FT, and the photos look like the place I used to eat, almost every night, years ago in Bs As. My kind of place. Love to dream! Thanks!
I live out in the sticks so rarely have the pleasure of drinking a Malbec dinner with steak/chips/salad on the side in Buenos Aires. Alex is your man to answer that.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks, Hiddy. Yes, not gloating; more promoting. As Gaucho 100K never tires of telling us, someone has to buy (and eat) those steaks. The “tragedy,” is that so many voters (and not just in Argentina) believe (over and over again) that peronismo in its many disguises constitutes the path to riches. Old Carlos Marx had it right: history plays out first as tragedy, then as farce. I fear we are well into the farce phase in Buenos Aires.
HIDDY and RafKa like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:13 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Actually the poor old GBP isn't performing too badly . Just saw a 71 peso quotation online , which is pretty incredible. In real terms probably 66 /67 would be attainable with the moneymen.

Like my mate Hiddy , I am not badly affected by all the hassle . I am fortunate that i earn my cash in dollars , so it's all fine

But its not really , I see everyone totally pissed off with both main parties at the moment . Macri for reading the whole scenario wrong and still acting like he is the winner when its unlikely that he will . And also with Fernandez x 2 for making false promises . It's totally crazy to think they are in the driving seat to win the October election without making any of their policies clear. Hey , but that's Argentina
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
As for future policies, did anyone think to interview Cristina F de K?
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As for future policies, did anyone think to interview Cristina F de K?
The only policy she cares about is immunity from arrest while in office. Now back to your regularly scheduled exchange rate discussion.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Macri and Fernández finally spoke with one another

57.18 Bid
62.18 Ask

From Ámbito

Macri spoke with Alberto Fernández and promised to "bring peace" to the markets

August 14 2019 - 15:13Politics

The President confirmed the dialogue with the presidential candidate of Peronism and anticipated that they agreed "to maintain a direct open line between the two."

Mauricio Macri and Alberto Fernández talked by telephone and promised to "bring peace" to the markets. NA
Finally, President Mauricio Macri confirmed that he had a telephone dialogue with Alberto Fernández , presidential candidate of the Frente de Todos who obtained the most votes in the PASO last Sunday.
Through his Twitter account, the president said that the former chief of Cabinet "promised to collaborate as much as possible so that this electoral process, and the political uncertainty that it generates, affects the Argentine economy as little as possible" .
Regarding the economic situation, the Head of State said that Fernández "showed himself with the vocation of trying to bring peace to the markets regarding the risks of an eventual alternation in power."

Macri also said that both presidential candidates pledged to "maintain a direct open line between the two."

Lastly, the central bank intervened with 248 million USD to control the peso today. Hopefully will see calm shortly

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 14, 19 at 2:02 pm
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
It's totally crazy to think they are in the driving seat to win the October election without making any of their policies clear. Hey , but that's Argentina
Yes it's totally bizarre. Hence why for fear of going mad I do my best to ignore it.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:16 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Dollar drops sharply in opening trades...... and bid/ask spreads continue to be HUGE - up to AR$6 depending on where you choose to trade.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:08 am

Not sure what is happening on your side of the Atlantic, but shouldn't that be "dollar strengthens"? Oanda has quoted 57 all day, and Google is showing 58.3. But the buy/sell spread is high, about 5 ARS, reflecting volatility and uncertainty. Hiddy, couldn't you give the candidates just a bit of Adam Smith's wisdom, in a friendly gesture to get the new, bi-lateral Scottish - Argentine relations off on the right foot?
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:07 pm

No... because today, in early trading, the dollar actually weakened because the peso appreciated... yesterday the dollar ended trading at 62 Pesos per Greenback, today opening trades were closer to 57... so the Peso price of the Dollar dropped.

Not sure what is happening on your side of the Atlantic, but shouldn't that be "dollar strengthens"? Oanda has quoted 57 all day, and Google is showing 58.3. But the buy/sell spread is high, about 5 ARS, reflecting volatility and uncertainty. Hiddy, couldn't you give the candidates just a bit of Adam Smith's wisdom, in a friendly gesture to get the new, bi-lateral Scottish - Argentine relations off on the right foot?
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:56 pm

I see, and stand corrected. Not following closely enough.
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Dollar drops sharply in opening trades...... and bid/ask spreads continue to be HUGE - up to AR$6 depending on where you choose to trade.
Threat of a global recession they say.I personally think todays peso/dollar rate is about right.
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Threat of a global recession they say.I personally think todays peso/dollar rate is about right.
A rate of more than 58 to 59 Pesos to the Dollar is the approximate "technical equilibrium" rate. However, in my view it would be best for the Economy if the rate would stabilize at around 61-62 per Dollar and then allow for the nominal prices in the economy to gradually adjust, so as to achieve something as close as possible to a soft-landing. In the long run, Argentina needs a proper Exchange Rate to remain competitive and allow the Service Sector to continue to grow.

Historically, the Agricultural sector has been the sole provider of hard currency for the Economy here... over the past 10 years, Services has grown to be as large as the primary sector, with Oil & Gas also growing exponentially. To retain growth in the exported services sector, Argentine needs to maintain a competitive exchage rate.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:54 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Exciting news, at least for those of us in the USD / EUR sphere (not so much the GBP sphere!). So! Alex, Hiddy and others on the ground: How much (in either USD or ARS) would a simple bife de chorizo with chips, a mixed salad and a half litre of Malbec be right now at a place like Rodi? I found it recommended some time ago on FT, and the photos look like the place I used to eat, almost every night, years ago in Bs As. My kind of place. Love to dream! Thanks!

Does anyone know what happened to the quality of the Croque Madame? About 10 years ago, items like their chocolate cake were the best in the world. Recently, they were really, really bad.
Did the management change?
Old Aug 16, 19, 2:49 pm

For proper Cakes, it’s best to avoid the pseudo-industrial chains. I suggest you look out for a Maru Botana Café and try their ample assortment of Cakes and Pies.... and then tell me if you still remember thus Kroke Madman (or however it called)

Search this Thread