Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Get Out and Stay Out!!

Argentina now banning all flights until September 1st! Ready! Fire! Aim!!
Old May 1, 2020, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
More likely the impending massive bond defaults.
In other words....it's business as usual.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
So, Argentina officially defaulted this week. Except it didn't. All deadlines have passed and bondholders have been authorized to collect their credit default swaps "insurance." But nobody seems to take this very seriously in Bs As. The Argentine gov't says to bondholders "we'll keep talking about repaying some of the debt, but 50% is a lot, so we'll go lower." The peso has actually strengthened against the dollar -- both the dólar blue and the official exchange rate. Has default already been factored into the exchange rate, or is no one paying attention? Hiddy? Gaucho 100K? EastBay 1K? Doña Cristina?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not much use to you as I've given up taking notice of Argentinas economic position. I reckon it'll always be a basket case especially with corruption being the way it is here. Funnily enough I thought the virus was being used to divert peoples attention away from the debts however even virus related issues has attracated stories of corruption.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The spread between buy & sell rates for blue market transactions are now at least AR$10 (for retail transactions). Please remember that "small head" $100 bills are going to be subject to mark-downs and/or non acceptance, so please make sure to try to bring newish release bills... they dont have to be the very latest version of the Ben Franklin note, but dont go back more than 2 versions if you want to keep it safe. The golden rule is to make sure your $100 bill has a large portrait of Uncle Ben and you should be fine....
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there still such a "blue rate"? Can you buy designer goods like handbags and clothes for a discounted price? or is it mostly focused on things like food and hotels that benefit from discounts?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there still such a "blue rate"? Can you buy designer goods like handbags and clothes for a discounted price? or is it mostly focused on things like food and hotels that benefit from discounts?
Yes. You simply exchange your US$ at the Blue rate and you pay in pesos. If you pay with plastic (VI / MC), you'll receive a rebate on the official rate, but not as good as the Blue. (Hotel becomes more complex, as foreigners don't pay tax on a bill paid with a foreign currency card.) A small shop merchant (i,e., not a chain store) might also give you a more preferable price if paying with cash as opposed to plastic.
SkyTeam777 and Flying Machine like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So is it possible to get luxury goods like a Rolex watch as a discount or a designer Prada handbag? or are we talking about mostly local design items/artifacts/art, etc to get at a discount from local stores?

Is the latest blue rate better than the XE.com $1US to 199 pesos?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Mar 6, 2023 at 5:13 pm
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So is it possible to get luxury goods like a Rolex watch as a discount or a designer Prada handbag? or are we talking about mostly local design items/artifacts/art, etc to get at a discount from local stores?

Is the latest blue rate better than the XE.com $1US to 199 pesos?
The Blue spread at the close today (Monday) was 368-372..

Not too many luxury products are being imported at the moment....

Last edited by malagajohn; Mar 6, 2023 at 6:02 pm
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Rumours suggest that the Hermès boutique on Avenida Alvear is currently the world's cheapest Hermès store due to the forex disparities. Of course I learned this on the day after leaving Buenos Aires, otherwise I would have checked and maybe gotten some new ties.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Marambio
Rumours suggest that the Hermès boutique on Avenida Alvear is currently the world's cheapest Hermès store due to the forex disparities. Of course I learned this on the day after leaving Buenos Aires, otherwise I would have checked and maybe gotten some new ties.
The above might just have gotten "more true" given todays almost AR$400 blue market sell rate. The wholesale sell rate for closed at AR$396 today. A 500 to 1 rate for the last quarter of this year does not seem too unreasonable given the 100% plus inflation rate plus the overall political environment related to the upcoming presidential elections.....

Time to, once again, buckle seatbelts and tighten helmets... and hope for a safe landing.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 4:31 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The above might just have gotten "more true" given todays almost AR$400 blue market sell rate. The wholesale sell rate for closed at AR$396 today. A 500 to 1 rate for the last quarter of this year does not seem too unreasonable given the 100% plus inflation rate plus the overall political environment related to the upcoming presidential elections.....

Time to, once again, buckle seatbelts and tighten helmets... and hope for a safe landing.
500? Some analysts are saying it should be 450/460 right now and maybe 600 by the end of the year.

Should be interesting to see what happens in the bond market as Massa is trying to "intervene" - this will directly affect the MEP and the CCL rates which indirectly affect the blue rate.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn
500? Some analysts are saying it should be 450/460 right now and maybe 600 by the end of the year.
And it is, MálagaJuan! In the past week, the dólar blue has gained over 10% against the peso. Even after annualized inflation was announced at over 100%, the exchange rate spent several weeks trying to break through the 400:1 barrier. It is now at 460 / 465.
Lest anyone think I am gloating about this, I’m not. I am with Gaucho 100K: this makes it a great time to visit Argentina. And to contribute a bit of hard currency to the economy.
Buen viaje a todos!
Old Apr 25, 2023, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by spainflyer
And it is, MálagaJuan! In the past week, the dólar blue has gained over 10% against the peso. Even after annualized inflation was announced at over 100%, the exchange rate spent several weeks trying to break through the 400:1 barrier. It is now at 460 / 465.
Lest anyone think I am gloating about this, I’m not. I am with Gaucho 100K: this makes it a great time to visit Argentina. And to contribute a bit of hard currency to the economy.
Buen viaje a todos!

Peso now at 490. Seems to be in freefall. Fernandez ha announced he will not run in next election cycle. Field wide open for the most radical Kirchneristas..,
Old Apr 25, 2023, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Buen viaje a todos!

Peso now at 490. Seems to be in freefall. Fernandez ha announced he will not run in next election cycle. Field wide open for the most radical Kirchneristas..,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.