Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

United or American to EZE from NYC on business class.

Old Dec 30, 17, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Hubby and I are planning a trip Feb 23 to March 9. We are trying to determine which airline would be best. We are both golds on American, Silver on Delta and no status on United. Delta flight is cheapest but with a 4:20 am arrival, thatís a no go. AA is about 10K and United 8400. Will we be getting more value in points by flying AA?
We only fly for pleasure. If we use points it would be a crazy 520K on American and an equally ridiculous number on United. United shows that you can buy economy and upgrade, but we would be on a wait list. As we have no status on United wouldnít those upgrades never happen? The AA flight is a 777-200, and the United a 767-400.Both are non stop over night flights, which is what we want.
I have plenty of SPG miles that I can transfer, also Membership Rewards and now Citi Thank You points.
Hubby is a million mile gold due to points years ago. Iím only gold due to some travel last January on LATAM that we code shared. We will be flying on Qatar next week for another trip if that adds any more info to the mix. All I know is that Iíll be using my Amex Plat to get 5X Miles!
Thank you for your thoughts.

Linda in Poughkeepsie
Old Dec 30, 17, 3:37 pm

The 4:20am must be aerolineas - not the best product. I would call AA and UA to ask about awards - or check for one seat only. What you see online is not always accurate. Also worth checking with a travel agent as those are pretty high prices for NYC-EZE - though it is the tail end of the high season. Also worth checking flights to MVD - which isan easy ferry to BUE and also worth a visit.
Old Dec 30, 17, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you erik123. We prefer non stops, so the flight to. MVD won’t work. Hubby would kill me if I told him we were taking two planes and then a ferry!
I checked with expert flyer and their weren't any upgrades available, on American. The AA phone agent confirmed no upgrades. We are departing on a Friday night, although most of the non stop flights on AAward travel are 110K and 150K each. The agent was a little shocked, stating that mile saver awards were way cheaper, but unavailable.
I’ll check with the travel agent in Argentina that we are working with. Between the air strike, Christmas and New Years’s she was a bit overwhelmed and we were lucky to get our interior trip details settled.

Linda in Poughkeepsie
Old Dec 30, 17, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Check with UA for a P Class fare, there's considerable savings with that fare
Old Dec 30, 17, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Flying Machine. Yes, that was the price I got on United. My prices were for both of us, not each person at 10K and 8400 each. The Delta/Aerolinas flights were $2818.56 or Total of $5637.12 from the Platinum Amex desk. A substantial saving, but then we start the vacation exhausted, and I don't think the product will be as good.
Old Jan 1, 18, 12:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Will you be staying at a hotel whilst in Buenos Aires? And is paying for flights vs. using points an option? If so, you may want to consider looking on aavacatons.com as well.

Using your dates, I see options for about $7500 for two people flying business (staying at their cheapest hotel option, which you can throw away at no cost). Or for about $10K, you'd get a package with flights and a stay at the Intercontinental.

More info within the wiki in this thread: FAQ: aavacations.com / AA Vacations flight & vacation package questions, discussion

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 1, 18 at 4:21 pm Reason: Updated linked thread
Old Jan 1, 18, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you JY1024, that is an interesting option. Why do they do this?
Old Jan 2, 18, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by LinLant View Post
Thank you JY1024, that is an interesting option. Why do they do this?
AAVacations is essentially treated as a third-party travel agency, which can get access to bulk/consolidator fares from AA. But AAV can't just sell you the airfare; as part of their deal, they have to sell you hotel and/or car rental. But there's nothing forcing you to actually check-in for the car/hotel portion.

If you're interested in this option, read the wiki in the thread I linked. That's the beginner's crash course.

Intermediate level notes:
- remember you can call in and adjust the hotel portion down to 3 nights (which is the minimum to book a package). That'll save you a few bucks if you plan on throwing away the hotel portion.
- most AAV fares accrue AA miles slightly differently (distanced-based instead of fare-based). If you're not interested in chasing status on airlines, don't worry about this nuance.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you for everyones's help. I was going crazy reading all the trip reports of the two planes (American versus United). This morning I checked prices again and found that I could get a guaranteed upgrade on the second flight to business class on United from economy. So my total price was $6452.62 plus 50,000 miles for two travelers. I would have paid $8342 booking straight business. I could have requested an upgrade on the economy fare going to EZE, but figured with no status we would not get an upgrade. So to find my value of miles I take the difference between the two fares (1889.38 and divide by 50,000 to get 3.7 cents per mile?) Plus I get 32K miles on my Platinum Amex Card.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:21 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Beware with low Delta prices as you may end up on a code-share Aerolineas flight, which may not be what you are looking for.
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:13 pm

Thank you for everyones's help. I was going crazy reading all the trip reports of the two planes (American versus United). This morning I checked prices again and found that I could get a guaranteed upgrade on the second flight to business class on United from economy. So my total price was $6452.62 plus 50,000 miles for two travelers. I would have paid $8342 booking straight business. I could have requested an upgrade on the economy fare going to EZE, but figured with no status we would not get an upgrade. So to find my value of miles I take the difference between the two fares (1889.38 and divide by 50,000 to get 3.7 cents per mile?) Plus I get 32K miles on my Platinum Amex Card.
Glad it all worked out for you!

From the few times I've flown AA on that route and friends who are UA fliers, it seems like there may not be a big difference between the two? But I'm curious...did you have any conclusions from reading the trip reports re: the differences between UA and AA?
Old Jan 4, 18, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

I couldn’t see that their were any differences. Seat Guru showed that there was more leg room on the United flight. There was a substantial difference in the flight cost and being able to use miles and upgrade one of the flights made it all the better!
Old Jan 5, 18, 2:20 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
I couldnít see that their were any differences. Seat Guru showed that there was more leg room on the United flight. There was a substantial difference in the flight cost and being able to use miles and upgrade one of the flights made it all the better!
Have you factored 1-2-1 vs 2-1-2 seat charts?
Old Jan 5, 18, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Yes. I don’t like having to cross over my husband during flights. However I like saving over $3000 more! I’m still not sure if the United seat is actually longer, but that was a factor also.

Search this Thread